- Register today to explore your dream career.
- Claim various free eBooks today.
- Latest Happening in education sphere ( bschool , Engineering , Degree Programmes , Medicine & Allied , Study Abroad and Professional courses).
- Explore More , Learn more and plan your career.
About NEST 2014 – The National Entrance Screening Test is an annual college entrance examination in India, conducted for admission into the National Institute of Science education and research (NISER), Bhubaneshwar and University of Mumbai Centre for excellence in Basic Sciences (UM-DAE CBS). From the year 2013, Integrated Science Education and Research Center (ISERC), Visva Bharati, West Bengal is also a participating institute and shall admit students from the merit list.
Exam Name – National Entrance Screening Test
Commonly known as – NEST
Exam type – National
Exam category – PG
Participating institutes –
- National Institute of Science education and Research(NISER), Bhubaneswar
- University of Mumbai, Centre for Excellence in Basic Sciences
- Integrated Science Education and Research Center (ISERC)
Eligibility criteria for NEST 2014- Candidates seeking admission to NISER and UM-DAE CBS for the academic session 2014-15 should be from science stream (having any combination of Biology / Chemistry /Mathematics / Physics) at class XII and must write the NEST 2014 examination. Candidates who have passed class XII examination or equivalent from any recognized Board in India in 2012 or 2013 or are appearing in 2014 can apply for NEST 2014. Admission will be offered strictly on basis of Merit List of NEST 2014. Candidates securing at least 60% marks in aggregate or equivalent grade in class XII examination will finally be eligible for admission to NISER and CBS. Where only letter grades are available, a certificate from the Board specifying equivalent percentage marks is required. In the absence of such a certificate, the decision of the Admission Committee of the concerned Institution will be final.
Age limit and Number of seats for NEST 2014
- General and OBC category candidates born on or after July 22, 1994 are eligible to apply. The age limit is relaxed by 5 years for SC / ST / Physically Disabled (PD) candidates.Necessary certificates supporting eligibility criteria have to be furnished at the time of admission.
- For academic session 2014-15, the total number of seats at NISER, CBS and ISERC shall be intimated later. The number of seats reserved for SC, ST, OBC Non-Creamy-Layer and PD is according to the Government of India norm. To claim seats under reserved category, relevant documents must be furnished at the time of admission.
NEST 2014 selection criteria
- Based on the performance in NEST 2014, a common Merit List of the candidates will be prepared and posted in NEST 2014 website. The successful candidates will be called for counselling and admission will be strictly according to the Merit List until all the seats are filled. Separate merit list for different category candidates will be made available before counselling.
NEST 2014 question type and related information
- The question paper will consist of 5 (five) sections. Section 1 is compulsory for all candidates to attempt and will have questions on general science to test candidates' awareness towards basic scientific facts. There will be no negative marking in this general section. Sections 2 through 5 will contain questions from Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics and Physics. Candidates are required to answer any three of these four sections. The questions will be of objective (MCQ) type designed to test candidates' subject comprehension and analytic ability. In the subject sections, there will be negative marking for incorrect answers. Some questions can have one or more correct answers for which marks can only be earned by marking all correct answers.
- Language of the question paper will be English only.
- The answer to each question is to be marked on an OMR (Optical Mark Recognition) sheet. The top half of the OMR sheet will be for filling personal details like name, roll number, application number, question set etc. and has to be filled in either by writing or by darkening bubbles using black ball-point pen. The lower half of OMR is for the answering questions of various sections, where the candidate is expected to darken the bubble(s) against correct answer(s) using dark lead pencil. The use of pencil makes later changing of choice(s) possible.
Syllabus of NEST 2014.
- The syllabus for NEST 2014 typically follows the NCERT / CBSE science syllabus of class XI-XII. There is, however, no specific syllabus for the general section. This section tests candidate's familiarity with, but not detailed understanding of, major historical milestones in subjects like astronomy, biology, chemistry, mathematics, physics, computer science and environmental science. Some of the questions may require knowledge of Class 10 level mathematics.
- For detailed syllabus of NEST 2014, refer here .
Method of application for NEST 2014
To apply for NEST 2014, candidates can fill up application form either online (preferably) or offline.
- Online application - Candidates may go to the NEST 2014 website www.nestexam.in and follow the instruction to fill-up the online application form. Photo and signature of the candidate are also required to be uploaded. To pay application fees, option for payment by Demand Draft and Electronic Transfer will be asked from which any one mode of payment has to be selected. The amount of application fees and details of each of these modes of payments are given below. To complete the application procedure, the DD number /transaction details of Electronic Transfer have to be furnished. The DD for application fee must be sent by post, preferably speed post, to the Chief Coordinator at the address below on or before the last date of application. In case of any difficulty or need for guidance, send email to email@example.com stating clearly he problem(s) encountered. Incomplete application in any respect will be summarily rejected.
- Offline application - Candidates may send request letter to the Chief Coordinator NEST 2014 at the Address below for paper-copy of the application form. The candidate should fill up the form, attach photo, sign and return the completed application form along with the application fees (in the form of DD) to the Chief Coordinator by post, preferably speed post. Incomplete application form or form without DD will be summarily rejected.
Application fee for NEST 2014
The application fee for the male candidates of General / OBC category is Rs. 700. The
application fee for SC/ST/PD and all female candidates is Rs. 350. The fee can be paid either by Demand Draft or Electronic Transfer.
- DD for required amount may be made from any bank and should be drawn in
Favor of The Chief Coordinator, NEST 2014 and payable at Bhubaneswar. Candidate must write her/his name and application number on the back of the DD. The DD has to be sent preferably by speed post at the address given below.
- Electronic transfer - The candidate may transfer the required amount electronically to NEST 2014 account from any bank. After the transfer is complete, candidate must enter the transfer details in appropriate place in online application form (for online application) or printed application form (for offline application). The transfer should be made to:
- Account name:
NISER - NEST
- Account number:
147601000015979 (Type: SB)
Bank name & branch:
Indian Overseas Bank, Chandrasekharpur Branch (Bhubaneswar)
IFSC / RTGS code:
Important dates for NEST 2014
Start of online/offline applications for NEST 2014
1st week of Jan 2014
Last date for receiving request of paper application form
3rd week of Feb 2014
Closing of online/offline applications
1st week of March 2014
Download/dispatch of admit card begins
1st week of April 2014
NEST 2014 examination
3rd week of May 2014
Announcement of results in NEST website
3rd week of June 2014