Entrance test: Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) 2012
GATE is conducted through the constitution of eight zones:
Zone-1: Indian Institute of Science Bangalore
Zone-2: Indian Institute of Technology Bombay
Zone-3: Indian Institute of Technology Delhi
Zone-4: Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati
Zone-5: Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur
Zone-6: Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur
Zone-7: Indian Institute of Technology Madras
Zone-8: Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee
- Pre-final year students ware not eligible for GATE 2012. Click here to view eligibility for GATE exam
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering/ Technology/ Architecture (4 years after 10+2). Final year students can also apply.
- Master's degree in any branch of Science/ Mathematics/ Statistics/Computer Applications or equivalent. Final year students can also apply.
- Can didates in the second or higher year of the 4-yr Integrated Master's degree programme (Post-B.Sc.) in Engineering/Technology.
- Candidates in the fourth or higher year of 5-year Integrated Master's degree programme or Dual Degree programme in Engineering/Technology.
- Qua lifications obtained through examinations conducted by professional societies recognized by UPSC/AICTE (e.g. AMIE by Institute of Engineers (India); AMICE by Institute of Civil Engineers (India)) as equivalent to B.E./B.Tech. Candidates who have completed section A or equivalent of such courses can also
- Exam will be conducted using computers.
- In GG and MN papers, all questions are multiple choice type.
- In AE and TF papers, 60 questions are multiple choice type and 5 questions are numerical answer type. For questions of multiple choice type, the candidate will select the correct answer out of four options. For questions of numerical answer type, the candidate will enter the numeric answer.
Offline Exam: Candidate will mark the correct answer out of four options in an Optical Response Sheet (ORS) by darkening the appropriate bubble.
GATE exam papers: A candidate can apply for only ONE of the 21 papers. Click here to view the list of papers.
- On the basis of written test.
- GATE exam consists of a single paper of 3 hours duration which contains 65 questions carrying a maximum of 100 marks. The question paper will consist of only objective questions. Click here to view weigtage of marks.
How to apply: Candidates have to apply only Online.
Click here to view the entire process of applying.
Application fee: (Gen/ OBC) - Rs. 1,000, (SC / ST / Person with Disability) - Rs. 500
Click here to view pattern of question papers.
- Online Exam: January 29, 2012 (Sunday)
- Offline Exam: February 12, 2012 (Sunday)
- Commence ment of sale of offline and online application form: September 12, 2011 (Monday)
- Application deadline: October 17, 2011 (Monday)
- Deadline fo r submission of printed version of ONLINE Application at the respective zonal GATE Office: October 24, 2011 (Monday)
Click here to view contact details of each zone.