After high secondary how can I prepare for Nift entrance exam for fashion designing
National Institute of Fashion Technology is the pioneer and most prestigious instituiton for fashion studies in India. There are in total 16 campuses of NIFT in all over India. A variety of UG and PG courses are offered. One of them is Bachelors of Design in Fashion Designing. In order to take admission into this course, candidates have to go throug an examination process. It consists of a written examination, followed by a situation test to be undertaken by shortlisted candidates of the written examination.
1.) WRITTEN EXAMINATION
- The written entrance examination is designed to test the knowledge, skill and aptitude of the candidates.
- It is a Paper Based Test (PBT).
- It consists of 2 sections: GAT & CAT
- GAT is General Ability Test. It can be given in both English and Hindi. It is a 2 hour paper consisting of 100 questions in total. The questions are divided across 5 sections: a.) Quantitative Ability- 20 questions b.) Communication Ability- 25 questions c.) English Comprehension- 25 questions d.) Analytical Ability- 15 questions e.) General Knowledge and Current Affairs- 15 questions GAT carries a weightage of 30% in the final merit list of the examination.
- CAT is Creative Ability Test. This test is administered to judge the intuitive ability, power of observation in concept development and design ability of the candidate. An important aspect of the test is the creative and innovative use of colour and illustration skills. CAT carries a weightage of 50% in the final merit list of the examination.
2.) SITUATION TEST
- Shortlisted candidates for B.Des from the written entrance examination are required to take a Situation Test which is a hands-on test to evaluate the candidate’s skills for material handling and innovative ability on a given situation with a given set of materials.
- No additional material will be provided / allowed. The model will be evaluated on space visualization, innovative and creative use of given material, composition of elements, colour scheme,construction skill, finesse of the model and overall presentation etc.
- These parameters will be checked with the write up explaining the concept behind the model constructed. Since the medium of instruction in NIFT is English, the write-up will be in English. No marks will be given for write-up in any other language.
- The evaluation of the test will be done by the Jury on the spot.
PREPARATION FOR THE ENTRANCE EXAMINATION
- Aspirants can do their preparation by refering to a variety of books like McGraw Hill Education, NIFT Exam Guide by Verma, Arihant NIFT Entrance Exam Self Study Guide, NIFT Entrance Examination (Guide) by D Mittal etc.
- Aspirants can also take coaching classes from private instituitions.
HOPE THIS INFORMATION IS HELPFUL TO YOU!
For preparation of NIFT entrance exam for fashion designing you need to know about the exam pattern:
NIFT entrance exam pattern is such that the written examination for design comprises of two papers to be written on the same day. A three hour examination called the Creative Ability Test (CAT) and a two hour examination called the General Ability Test (GAT). The CAT paper is a drawing paper while the GAT is a MCQ format paper with 150 questions to be attempted in 120 minutes. It comprises of General English (35 questions), Comprehension passages (6 to 8 in number with 30 questions in total), quantitative (25 questions), analytical reasoning (30 questions) and business domain (30 questions).
There is no negative marking.
How to prepare the exam?
The GAT paper consists of academic subjects like Reasoning, Mathematics (till class X level), English Language & Comprehensions.
The academic subjects can be studied through classroom contact programmes at a trusted and reputed place or through self-study with the help of some good competitive preparation books available in the market. However, my advice would be to go for individual subject books instead of some all-in-one format.However, the creative ability paper must be prepared under someone who knows the nitty gritties of the NIFT Entrance Exam.
One must always work time bound during the preparation stage itself for both the papers.
. Here is a comprehensive list of topics that one can prepare:
English:The questions are based on grammar and syntax. The common topics from which questions are asked are - synonyms, antonyms, idioms & phrases, spot the errors, cloze test, fill in the blanks, sentence correction, analogies, spelling errors, one word substitution and ordering of sentences/ passage. Please work on your vocabulary extensively.
Reasoning:Verbal & non-verbal - series, coding decoding, directions, ranking, sitting arrangement, syllogism, calendar, clocks, eligibility criteria, blood relations, cubes & dices, line counting, graph, puzzles et al.
Mathematics:Number system, ratio proportion, averages, ages, profit & loss, speed time, upstream & downstream, mixtures & alligations, pipes & cisterns, work time, simple interest, compound interest, mensuration, set theory, trigonometry, height & distance, permutation n combination and probability.
Creative Ability Test: Concepts of three dimensions, perspective drawings, product design, space design, human figure, colour rendering and illustration skills, colour interpretation, visual communication questions like poster et al, product life cycle, process drawing and many more creative varieties, best taught under personal mentor supervision.
I would suggest that in order to fare well in NIFT Entrance Exam one should work on overcoming their weaknesses while enhancing their strengths and always work and prepare in a time bound manner.
Wishing you All the Best for NIFT Entrance exam
NIFT College Predictor 2019
Know your admission chances for B.Des & B.FTech in NIFT Campuses