- what is scope of ocean engineering? I am getting Ocean engineering at IIT Madras, should I go? what are the placement scenario?
what is scope of ocean engineering? I am getting Ocean engineering at IIT Madras, should I go? what are the placement scenario?
Ocean Engineering is a job oriented field with good potential. As offshore industry is becoming commercially important in several fields like transport, trade, oil and gas, mineral exploration etc., more efficiently designed vessels and offshore facilities are the need of the day. The work of ocean engineers are mainly related to engineering fields as designers and construction supervisors, they also have scope in areas like consultancy, regulation, surveying and overseeing, research and development, education and training etc.
Also IIT Madras is good college for ocean engg. Since the faculties are good and you would have a bright future aspects there.
Ocean engineering is a study of marine-based engineering that is, it is a study of the ocean and sea environment and technology and how the salt water effecting the watercraft and vessels. It involves the preserving the coastal structures from erosion, to develop energy resources, ocean mining, and petroleum recovered from offshore, to protect the ports and harbors, etc.Ocean engineering is a mix of mechanical, electrical, civil, and chemical engineering. To work as an oceanographer is a challenge as it requires varieties of backgrounds to work on.
Ocean Engineering has a wide career scope with good potential. Commercially offshore industries like transport, trade, oil and gas, etc. are becoming important.
• Ocean Engineers mainly get employed in engineering fields as designers and construction supervisors.
• They may also get employed in the areas like consultancy (to give professional and technical advice), regulation, surveying and overseeing, research and development, education and training etc.
• Ocean Engineers get also employed in government sector like they work on climate monitoring, environmental protection, oil recovery, marine transport, underwater vehicle development, etc.
• The field of an Ocean Engineer is so wide and important that they can get recruited in nation’s defense also. Job openings are there not only in India but in abroad also for an Ocean Engineer.
• They get work in offshore drilling establishments, military and marine navigation, Oil & Natural Gas extracting companies etc.
• They also get employed as field engineer or site engineer where they do the inspection and testing of the underwater structures. They are also required to do the repair work in technology for underwater.
• Ship and boat builders, offshore constructors, design consultants, and ships and submarines of the Navy and the Ministry of Defence also employ Ocean Engineers for their designing department. Equipment manufacturers also employ Ocean Engineers to design their products.
An entry-level Ocean Engineer with less than 1 year experience can expect to earn an average total compensation (includes tips, bonus, and overtime pay) of $67,407 based on 5 salaries. An early career Ocean Engineer with 1-4 years of experience earns an average total compensation of $67,984 based on 15 salaries. A mid-career Ocean Engineer with 5-9 years of experience earns an average total compensation of $72,644 based on 11 salaries. An experienced Ocean Engineer with 10-19 years of experience earns an average total compensation of $113,765 based on 6 salaries.
Hope this helps.