Located on the eastern Caribbean island of Antigua, American University of Antigua was founded in 2004. The University is one of the Caribbean medical schools with the necessary accreditations allowing its graduates to obtain licensure throughout the United States and Canada. It also is recognized by the Medical council of India in addition to recognition by the Medical Board of California and approval by the New York State Education Department. Other accreditations include Caribbean Accreditation Authority for Education in Medicine and other Health Professions (CAAM-HP), UK’s General Medical Council (GMC).
AUA graduates are eligible to participate in the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP) and the Canadian Resident Matching Service (CaRMS)
AUA’s Emergency Medical Training Center (EMTC) is an official National Association of Emergency Medical Technicians (NAEMT) centre. AUA is also a member of the Consortium of Universities for Global Health (CUGH) as well as the Association of Commonwealth Universities (ACU)
It offers courses in Basic Sciences, Clinical Sciences, MD in Global Health and a BHHS degree in addition to AICASA Accelerated Pre-Med Program which offers qualified high school graduates the opportunity to complete medical school prerequisites in less than two years.
Some of the academic facilities at the University include
• Simulated Learning Center
• Clinical Skills Lab
• Anatomy Lab
• BLS (basic life support) and ACLS (advanced cardiac life support) training centre
• Osler & Crumpler Suites (simulated wards)
How to apply:
• Fill the AUA application form
• Pay a non-refundable application fee of US $75.00
Documents to be submitted:
• Personal statement: This must be typed with 1.5-line spacing and no less than one page and no more than two pages in length explaining why the applicant is pursuing a career in medicine, what makes them a potential asset to AUA. It is advisable to include any significant accomplishments or additional information that would be useful to the Admissions Committee in evaluating the application.
• Résumé or Curriculum Vitae
• All official transcripts from each undergraduate, graduate, medical, and/or professional school attended by the applicant to be mailed directly from the institution to AUA’s New York office or through the school’s official transcript service.
• Two letters of recommendation with at least one being an academic letter of recommendation from a science professor who has taught the applicant and is acquainted with the applicant’s academic ability. Applicants who have not taken a science class in two or more years may send a second professional letter in place of the academic letter. This can be from a non-science professor or an employer, medical colleague, or another professional who can attest to the applicant’s character, academic, or work abilities.
• Passport-sized photo
• Note: Any unofficial transcripts may be uploaded to the application tracker for review
Information for Indian Students:
Pre-med Program: AUA College of Medicine is a division of Manipal Global Education Services. Qualified students who complete premedical coursework at Manipal University in Manipal or American International College of Arts and Sciences – Antigua (AICASA) are guaranteed acceptance into AUA College of Medicine.
Doctor of Medicine (MD) degree is a 4.5-year program consisting of two years of Basic Sciences coursework on the AUA College of Medicine campus in Antigua and 84 weeks of study in the Clinical Sciences at teaching hospitals throughout the United States where students complete their core and elective rotations. Rotations are also available in Canada and India.
Candidates may require TOEFL or IELTS test score (if requested) – The current overall cutoff score for the TOEFL is 95 (Internet-based total, or its equivalent on the Computer-based or Paper-based versions); and current overall cutoff score for the IELTS is 7.0 (overall band score).
Scholarships for Indian Students:
Award Amount : $96,500 scholarship broken down as follows:
• $10,000 scholarship with $2,500 awarded per semester during the 4 semester AICASA pre-med program.
• $47,500 scholarship with $9,500 awarded per semester of the 5 basic science semesters of AUA College of Medicine MD program.
• $39,000 scholarship with $7,800 awarded per semester of the 5 clinical science semesters of AUA College of Medicine MD program.
Note: This scholarship does not include room, board, transportation, or education supplies
Eligibility Requirements for scholarship
Proof of residency in India (no older than two months from the application date), a copy of their passport, and a one-page personal statement indicating why they should be considered for the scholarship. Students must meet Satisfactory Academic Progress each semester to continue eligibility
Note: Applicants who have taken college-level coursework in the United States or Canada are ineligible for this scholarship.
Careers360 shortlists over 5000 colleges across domains each year. Out of these colleges, only those colleges are rated/ranked which provide transparent data requested by Careers360. The cumulative scores of colleges are then calculated and they are divided into clusters as per their scores. Careers360 ranks private and government colleges separately as the support system of both types of Institutions is completely different.
Based on the individual scores secured by colleges in cumulative score that they have received.
The colleges are ranked as per the cumulative score that they have received. The college that has got the maximum cumulative score will be ranked first while the college that has got least cumulative score will be ranked last.
Institutions that are promoted by the central/state or provincial Government or Government aided agencies.
Institutes that are promoted by private trusts/Socities/sector 8 companies that are not for profits.
Accreditation is a process by which the quality of all the programme is examined and certified normally by an external body of academics in a college. It validates and certifies the academic processes practised within an institute are robust and relevant.
Accreditation of this College:
In India, a degree can only be delivered by an approved institution and awarded by an institution authorised to do so by an act of parliament or legislature. Approval of institutions can be in the form of affiliation, autonomy, constituent or even approved institution status accorded by a university.
The Question containing Inaapropriate or Abusive Words
Question lacks the basic details making it difficult to answer
Topic Tagged to the Question are not relevant to Question
Question drives traffic to external sites for promotional or commercial purposes
The Question is not relevant to User
Regular exam updates, QnA, Predictors, College Applications & E-books now on your Mobile