- Forms of viruses
- Structures of viruses
- Virus Characteristics
- Viral diseases in animals and humans
Animal Viruses: Their Transmission and the Diseases they Produce Course
Learn how animal viruses can be transmitted between humans and animals. Also understand the diseases these viruses produce, through this course by FutureLearn.
Medium of instructions English
Mode of learning Self study
Mode of Delivery Video and Text Based
Learning efforts 5 Hours Per Week
This course on Animal Viruses: Their Transmission and the Diseases They Produce, offered by FutureLearn is an online course in the Healthcare and Medicine category. In this course, you will explore the science behind viral diseases in animals, their interaction with humans, and hence transmission.
Animal viruses are known to cause huge losses, in the economic sense, to the farmers, and emotional distress among the affected animals’ owners. In some cases, these diseases may even spread to humans – this process is known as zoonosis. This knowledge will further help us control the diseases and their transmission.
Animal viruses, for example, the parvovirus, which affects pets, sheep, cattle, birds, horses and swine, will be taught in the course. You will also learn about other important zoonotic diseases.
The course has been developed by experienced teachers at veterinary schools in Madrid and Alfort, in the fields of virology and infectious diseases. It is a course for anyone interested in animal viruses and veterinary sciences.
- Six weeks long course
- 5 hours per week learning
- Earn a certificate from FutureLearn
- Free access to course for 8 weeks
- Self-paced learning
- Course in the English language
- Discussions and debates
- Lesson videos
- Practice exercises
- Social learning
Course and certificate fees
The course can be availed free of cost, without any assessments or certificates
However, if you want to avail of the course with the assessments and certificate after completing the course, you can opt for the option of any of the paid plans that suit you.
certificate providing authority
Who it is for
This course has been designed to impart knowledge on the diseases that may affect our beloved animals, or transmitted to humans from animals. Anyone with a keen interest in viral infections or diseases, in animals and spreading to humans, can take this course. Also, it will be of great help to those studying to be veterinarians.
This course will greatly benefit:
- Animal Experts
Certification Qualifying Details
Candidates can enrol in the course free of cost, but the certificate is available only when you upgrade the course. You get additional benefits with the upgrade. The Certificate of Achievement is given when you score at least 70% in the entire course, with 90% in each module.
What you will learn
From the Animal Viruses: Their Transmission and the Diseases They Produce course; you can expect the following learning outcomes:
- Differentiate between RNA and DNA viruses
- Determine naked from enveloped viruses
- How the different kinds of viruses affect the genome variability and resistance patterns
- Be able to determine the route of transmission of diseases, which may lead to epidemics
- Identify vaccines and associated risks
- Compare transmission channels and requirements, and find out ways to avoid or stop them.
- Learn about zoonosis and pathogenesis
- Evaluate samples and learn the techniques to diagnose diseases in animals
The procedure for admission to the FutureLearn’s Animal Viruses: Their Transmission and the Diseases They Produce course is as follows:
Create an account:
- To make an account in FutureLearn, click on join/enrol in the course on the course listings page or the course description page.
- Or simply click on the Sign-in button on the top right corner of the website.
- Click on Register to start creating your account.
- You can fill in the details asked, or register yourself using Facebook or Google, as well.
Filling the form
For joining the course, follow these instructions:
- On the top of the site, you have two ways to search for the Animal Viruses: Their Transmission and the Diseases They Produce course
- In the Subjects tab, look for Health & Medicine, and click on Animal Viruses: Their Transmission and the Diseases They Produce
- Or simply put the name of the course in the search bar.
- Next on the course page, look for the button Join course/ Join course for free.
- Click on the button, and you will be taken to the section which contains the probable plans you would want.
- You can choose what suits you, the free course, upgraded course, or the Unlimited yearly subscription. The details for each plan are given for your perusal.
- Once you have chosen, make the required payment, and you will be enrolled in the course, thereafter.
Introduction to animal viruses
- Fecal transmission
- Oral transmission
- Canine parvovirus
- Zoonotic viruses
- Parasitic transmission
- Introduction of viruses to the bloodstream
- Diseases from birds and pigs
Other infections hard to control because they are consistent
- Viruses that remain in the host
There is an option to learn for free from the course. However, to avail of assessments and certificates, you have to either buy the course or subscribe to FutureLearn Unlimited.
How it helps
The course aims at teaching the participants the different types of viruses, that cause diseases among animals, and how some of them may even be transmitted to humans. This can also be beneficial in the prevention of such diseases for both – animals as well as humans.
This program is being taught by Esperanza Gomez-Lucia, Ana Doménech Gómez, Laura Benítez Rico, Cinta Prieto, Sophie LePoder and Isabel Simarro – all very experience faculty at the Complutense University of Madrid and L'école nationale vétérinaire d'Alfort.
After enrolling in the course, you will get an email explaining the procedure of the course, the topics taught. A to-do list will appear in the ‘Your Courses’ section, regarding what all you have to do under the course.
FutureLearn offers all kinds of assessments, based on the requirements of the courses. For the reflection of what you have learned during the course, intermittent quizzes will be held for practice and retention of the students. Also, there are assignments, which are peer-graded, supporting our social learning ideology.
Since our aim is to enrich your knowledge bank, some of the material may ask you to make extra efforts in regards to the subject. Some of the topics may be unfamiliar to you, or some concepts unknown. Future Learn has discussions in the comments section, where the students help each other with queries. This stimulates collective growth and community learning.
In the comments section, you can post your questions. You can also answer some of the questions asked by others, or correct the given answers if you think that something is missing.
Yes. Future learn have all the features in place to help our students get the best learning experience. There is an option for you to be able to turn on/off the subtitles for a given video. This facility is available for most videos.
There is also an option for the transcripts of the video, in both text and audio format as well. You can use any of these whenever you feel like it, and some of these are even downloadable files.
Future learn do provide printed certificates if you qualify for them. A digital certificate will automatically be sent to you after the successful completion of the course. However, if you want a printed certificate, you can request for the same, however, keep in mind the following:
- Future Learn doesn’t charge extra for the certificate, but Future Learn asks you to pay for the shipping costs.
- Translate your address to English, before submitting it to us.
- If any changes are to be made, kindly contact us at email@example.com