- Mode: Full time
- Duration: 4 Years
Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech) in Materials Science and Metallurgical Engineering is a four-year (8 Semesters) full-time undergraduate program offered by Indian Institute of Technology Hyderabad.
Materials science and metallurgical engineering (MSME) is an interdisciplinary science enriched engineering branch which deals with material discovery and design for applications, through the material paradigm (synthesis, characterization, structure, property, performance). Materials science and metallurgical engineering is a very fast evolving and expanding branch and thus the curriculum has to be constantly evolving. Currently, MSME offers teaching and research spanning across various disciplines of structural, functional and computational materials science.
A B.Tech graduate from MSME department at IITH is trained be an expert at the core concepts as well as conscious of evolving multidisciplinary domains. The B.Tech curriculum at IITH is unique as it comprises of fractal courses (1 and 2 credit courses instead of 3 credit regular courses), which facilitates expansion of the core subject acumen as well as exposure to multidisciplinary courses. The curriculum allows good opportunity to gain specialization within the department as well as across department owing to a large number of free electives. The department electives are often trending subjects which expose the students to recent developments and popular subjects in materials science and metallurgical engineers. The department prepares its students for research roles as well as other professional roles by providing a conducive environment for all round development.
The admission to the undergraduate program is based on the performance in JEE Advanced.
- The final examination of the 10+2 system, conducted by a Central or State Board recognized by the Association of Indian Universities (AIU).
- intermediate or two-year Pre-University examination conducted by a Board or University recognized by the Association of Indian Universities.
- Final examination of the two-year course of the Joint Services Wing of the National Defence Academy.
- Senior Secondary School Examination conducted by the National Institute of Open Schooling with a minimum of five subjects.
- Any Public School, Board or University examination in India or in a foreign country recognized as equivalent to the 10+2 system by the AIU.
- H.S.C. vocational examination.
- A Diploma recognized by the All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) or a State Board of Technical Education of at least 3 years duration.
- General Certificate Education (GCE) examination (London, Cambridge or Sri Lanka) at the Advanced (A) level.
- High School Certificate Examination of the Cambridge University or International Baccalaureate Diploma of the International Baccalaureate Office, Geneva.
Candidates who have completed Class XII (or equivalent) examination outside India or from a Board not specified above should produce a certificate from the AIU to the effect that the examination they have passed is equivalent to the Class XII examination.
In case the Class XII examination is not a public examination, the candidate must have passed at least one public (Board or Pre-University) examination earlier.