- Mode: Full time
- Duration: 4 Years
The Diploma in Dance is a rigorous four-year full–time course in Bharatanatyam offered by Kalakshetra Foundation, Chennai. Students are taught the adavus based on Rukmini Devi’s systematized method for their first year and most of their second year. Students are taught exercises and yoga, which aid and diversify the range of movement. Items are gradually introduced into the curriculum from the second year onwards, and students begin learning abhinaya pieces from their third year. Students graduate from the four-year diploma course with a strong theoretical, musical and language foundation which allows them to understand and incorporate new items into their repertoire, and, with continued practice and performance, to gain further insights into the dance form.
Candidates must face the Interview Committee and get selected. They will be assessed and given points as per the rubrics are given below.
- For Diploma in Dance
- Knowledge in Dancing: 30 points (Angashudam, Talam, & Presentation)
- Knowledge in Vocal Music: 10 points
- Communicativeskillsin English: 10 points
- If any candidate would like to show his/her performance, it is their own responsibility to bring instrument to play music/song for the purpose.
- Candidates from abroad may upload their performance on YouTube and provide the link for perusal based on which they will be selected and on intimation, the selected students will be permitted to pursue their studies at Kalakshetra Foundation only on a student visa
Upper age limit: 25 years
Std. XII pass from any recognized Educational Board or equivalent
For foreign students: Education equivalent to Std. XII
Medical fitness (only for dance students)
The candidate will be tested for physical fitness by a Physician engaged by Kalakshetra Foundation. The stamina of the student and whether the student is physically fit to take up the rigorous training in Dance will be assessed by the doctor and only on certification by the doctor as to the fitness of the candidate will he/she will be considered for admission.
A specially engaged psychologist will observe the student and certify whether he/she is psychologically suitable to take up the course.