8 Must-Have Skills for AWS Cloud Architects
Amazon Web Services or AWS is a secured cloud computing platform providing a wide array of cloud services to its customers which include growing startups, private enterprises, and even government agencies. With the help of AWS cloud architect skills storing data and applications on the cloud has become easier, faster, secure, and cost-effective. It has become vital for tech companies to have AWS cloud architect skills as it handles IT-based needs, has a user-friendly interface with unlimited server capacity which requires having a cloud architect certification.
In today’s time, AWS cloud architect skills are one of the most in-demand for tech jobs. The work of an AWS architect is both a science and art when taken proper AWS cloud architect certification. The AWS cloud architect course involves developing and designing cloud environments, managing and operating these systems, understanding what kind of functionality is required, assisting with cloud migration efforts, dealing with high-risk issues, etc. Thus, the skills required for AWS cloud architect can be achieved after pursuing a proper AWS cloud architect online course. In this article, for the reference of aspirants, Careers360 Team has listed 8 skills required for AWS cloud architects:
Top 8 Skills Required for AWS Cloud Architect
To gain AWS cloud architect skills, one must have an in-depth knowledge of cloud computing, its role, and its uses. You must have the necessary tech skills like networking, knowledge of programming languages along requisite soft skills which can be gained by the AWS cloud architect online course. Check below the top IT skills required for AWS Cloud Architect:
Java, Python, C#
Data Storage Fundamentals
Cloud-specific patterns and technologies
AWS Service Selection
AWS Cloud Architect Skills Required
1. Java, Python, C#- First and foremost skills required for AWS Cloud Architect is art of coding. He must be able to write codes in programming languages having an official AWS SDK like Java, Python, or C#. AWS SDK refers to the software tools that use AWS resources for creating applications and libraries. It is only when the AWS cloud architect understands programming that he can come up with logical solutions. A good cloud architect will be able to use programming to demonstrate and investigate the use of the latest technologies.
2. Data Storage Fundamentals- Many data storage options are available in AWS, therefore, a good cloud architect must be able to know when to use each. AWS cloud architect skills must enable understanding how and when to use databases. A thorough knowledge about data storage fundamentals is necessary as you will have to compare and analyze the price, different capabilities, and performance and then choose the best available option to store data.
3. Networking- Understanding networking is yet another indispensable skill required for AWS cloud architect. Without knowledge of networking, you will find it really hard to develop secure cloud-based solutions. You should know everything about DNS, TCP/IP, HTTP, CDN, and VPC. Also, you should be able to use CloudFront (CDN), Virtual Private Cloud(VPC), and services like Route 53 (DNS) for designing cloud networking using public and private subnets, internet access, and VPC peering. You can opt for the AWS cloud architect certification course to learn complex networking skills. This exam will cost $300 and you get 170 minutes to complete the exam. Abilities validated by this AWS cloud architect course include- designing, developing, and deploying cloud-based solutions using AWS designing and maintaining network architecture, etc.
4. Security Foundations- To gain good AWS Cloud Architect skills, you should also learn about IAM (Identity and Access Management) which will aid you in ascertaining which resources can be accessed by which users and so on. To learn this skill, you can opt for the AWS Cloud Security Certification-Speciality. Two years of hands-on experience securing AWS workloads is recommended for this certification. This AWS cloud architect online course validates your ability to understand specialized data classification and AWS data protection mechanisms, secure internet protocols, data encryption methods, and trade-off decisions about cost, security, and deployment complexity is given a set of application requirements.
5. Cloud-specific patterns and technologies- This is undoubtedly the most essential skill required for AWS Cloud Architect. Cloud offerings describe the functionality that is offered by cloud providers for use by an application for processing workload, communication, and data storage. Cloud application architectures describe the structure of cloud applications and Cloud application management deals with the management of these applications. A Cloud Architect must be well versed with all these terms. You should be able to use the AWS infrastructure correctly for easy recovery and availability. You must also know how to use messages and how to handle failure to create cost-effective applications. You can pursue the various AWS cloud architect certification courses that are available online or take cloud training to learn cloud computing, cloud management skills.
6. AWS Service Selection- There are front and back-end technologies involved in a cloud architecture that is backed by components provided by Amazon. A good AWS Cloud Architect should know what services are available and which of them would be relevant to a particular organization. This becomes a difficult task as Amazon keeps on releasing new services. However, every AWS architect must be aware of the basic services like SNS(notifications), SQS(simple queuing), and RDS(Relational Database Service).
7. DevOps- DevOps is the combination of practices, cultural philosophies, and tools to increase the ability of an organization to deliver applications and services at a faster pace. In 2020, Devops was ranked as the top technical skill required for AWS cloud architect professionals. This is a revolutionary model that has brought innovation to businesses. It focuses on development, integration, and deployment which is beneficial to the SaaS applications that thrive on cloud computing.
8. Container- Containers are also important skills required for AWS Cloud Architect. Docker and Kubernetes are the most popular container tools. Containers allow businesses to create hybrid applications, package batch processing jobs, and scale machine learning models quickly. Containers let you run applications from one computing environment to another in a quick and reliable manner. AWS's container services which are integrated with AWS are also widely used as they leverage the breadth and depth of the AWS cloud from networking, security to monitoring. You can also opt for the various Docker and Kubernetes training courses that are available like Certified Kubernetes Administrator(CKA), Software Conformance (Certified Kubernetes), etc. to acquire and enhance this skill.
Why AWS Cloud Architect Certification is Important?
AWS cloud architect courses are designed to validate the cloud expertise of an individual to help organisations in building effective and innovative teams for cloud initiatives using AWS. Getting AWS cloud architect certification marks you as a skilled professional in the cloud computing market. Choosing the right AWS cloud architect online course will help you to excel in your career.
AWS Cloud Architect Certification
There is various AWS cloud architect certification available at foundational, associate, and specialty levels. Some of the AWS Certifications available are as follows:-
AWS Certified Cloud Practitioner Exam
English, Korean, Japanese, and simplified Chinese
AWS Certified Solutions Architect (associate)
Multiple choice, multiple answers
AWS Certified Solutions Architect (professional)
Multiple choice, multiple answers
1. AWS Certified Cloud Practitioner Exam- This is a foundational exam to acquire AWS cloud architect skills. This AWS cloud architect certification covers important principles of the AWS cloud platform. It involves questions related to AWS services, features, AWS security and compliance, fundamentals of cloud architecture, AWS Billing, Support and pricing, core deploying, and operating principles. To pursue this course, 6 months of general AWS experience is recommended by Amazon in any capacity, be it a technical or non-technical role including sales, management, etc.
Topics Covered in AWS Certified Cloud Practitioner Exam
Principles of AWS Cloud Architecture
AWS Cloud Fundamentals
Value Proposition of AWS Cloud Platform
Identifying documentation and technical assistance for AWS Cloud
Basics of AWS platform security
Pricing models and billing management
2. AWS Certified Solutions Architect (associate)- It involves questions about building and deploying systems in AWS clouds, and you will also be required to demonstrate the best architectural practices. To pursue this AWS cloud architect online course, one year of experience in deploying distributed systems at scale, using AWS cloud services.
Topics Covered in AWS Certified Solutions Architect (associate)
How to deploy and architect robust applications on AWS technologies.
Define a solution using architectural principles.
3. AWS Certified Solutions Architect (professional)- To pursue this AWS cloud architect course, two years of comprehensive experience designing, operating, and troubleshooting solutions using the AWS Cloud.
Topics Covered in AWS Certified Solutions Architect (professional)
How to build reliable and secure applications on the AWS platform.
You will learn the basics of network technologies and how they work on the AWS platform.
Implement cost-control strategies.
Deploy hybrid systems.
AWS Cloud Architect Course
Various AWS cloud architect courses and cloud certifications are available online. Udacity offers one of the best cloud computing courses. It is called the 'AWS Cloud Architect Nanodegree program'. It provides a 3 months long online course to become an AWS Cloud Architect. The estimated time per week for the course is 10 hours.
Prerequisites Required for AWS Cloud Architect Course
Prior experience in the following fields is recommended for best preparation and success:
Fundamentals of Object-Oriented Programming
Linux Command Line Basics
Web Development using HTML & CSS
Prior experience of at least 1 to 2 years with app development and cloud infrastructure management using AWS
Understanding and hands-on knowledge of using compute, networking, storage, and database services such as AWS
SSL certificates and Content Delivery Networks
Equivalent experience to having completed Cloud DevOps Engineer Nanodegree program or Cloud Developer Nanodegree program.
What does AWS Cloud Architect Online Course teach?
In the AWS Cloud Architect Nanodegree program, you will learn the fundamentals of cloud architecture-how to plan, design, and implement a secure cloud infrastructure at scale. You will be taught how to create a highly available network using the AWS core service. You can expand your learning to design for performance, security, and scalability. You will also learn to monitor availability, test failure scenarios with recovery, and evaluation of cloud environment security vulnerabilities.
Project 1: Recoverability in AWS:- It involves building a multi-availability zone, multi-region database, and demonstrating its use; Migrating your primary database from one geographical region to another, Creating a versioned database that is safe from any disruption.
Project 2: Design, Provision, and Monitor AWS Infrastructure at scale:- In this, you will learn to plan, design, provision, configure and monitor AWS infrastructure using industry-standard tools like AWS CLI and Terraform.
Project 3: Secure the Recipe Vault Application:- This involves deploying a web application, testing the environment's security by simulating an attack scenario, and exploiting cloud configuration vulnerabilities. You will also learn to set up monitoring for the identification of suspicious behavior and configuration vulnerabilities.
AWS Cloud Architects are IT professionals earning high salaries who build and deploy plans and applications and monitor cloud activity within their organization. These professionals must possess the core technical AWS cloud architect skills including extensive knowledge of programming languages, fundamentals of cloud computing, cloud engineer certification, cloud certificates, etc. However, at the same time, these professionals must be confident people possessing the good leadership skills required for AWS cloud architect. He should be able to explain his ideas to the stakeholders and be willing to experiment and take well-calculated risks.
Also read -
Frequently Asked Question (FAQs) - 8 Must-Have Skills for AWS Cloud Architects
Question: How long will it take to acquire AWS Cloud Architect Certification?
It totally depends on your skills, expertise, and how much hard work you are willing to put in for your preparation. Amazon recommends 6 months of experience in any role(technical and non-technical) for the AWS Certified Cloud Practitioner Exam.
Question: How much will it cost to become AWS certified?
The price you have to pay depends on the level of certification:
Professional = $ 300
Question: How much will it cost to appear for the AWS Certified Cloud Practitioner exam?
The fee for the AWS Certified Cloud Practitioner Exam is $ 100.
Question: What is the pattern of the AWS Certified Cloud Practitioner Exam?
The AWS Certified Cloud Practitioner exam follows the MCQ( Multiple Choice Questions) pattern.
Question: Other than the technical skills, what other skills are required to be a good AWS Cloud Architect?
Other than the technical skills like knowledge of programming languages, fundamentals of cloud computing and management, other skills that you should have to be a good AWS Cloud Architect are time management, communication skills, decisiveness, business acumen, and a zeal to learn.
Question: How to register for an AWS certification exam?
You need to sign in to AWS.training to register for an AWS Certificate exam. Then, click 'Certification' in the top navigation. Next, you have to click the AWS Certification Account button, followed by the Schedule New Exam. Then, find the exam you want to take and click on schedule at PSI or Schedule at Pearson VUE button. You will be redirected to the test delivery provider's scheduling page, where you can complete your exam registration.
Question: Is any prep material provided for the preparation of the AWS Cloud Practitioner certification exam?
Yes. You can visit the AWS Certification Preparation Page for practice exams, training, sample questions, and other materials to help you prepare for the exam.
Question: What kind of work does a Cloud Architect do?
Cloud Architects are the persons in charge of the cloud computing strategy of their organization. They work on planning, designing, maintenance, and security of cloud infrastructure.
Question: What is the salary of an AWS Cloud Architect?
The salary of an AWS Cloud Architect varies from $154,000 a year - $230,000.
Question: What is the duration of the AWS Cloud Practitioner Certification Exam?
The duration of the AWS Certified Cloud Practitioner exam is 90 minutes.