- Mode: Full time
- Duration: 6 Years
The full-time Ph.D. programme shall ordinarily be of three years’ duration and will include a stipend given to the candidate for three years. More details on this are given below. A Ph.D. degree may be conferred on full-time students, subject to the condition that they have carried out research at the Institute under the guidance of a research guide for at least three years from the date of registration.
Design is the professional capability of creating and developing context-led concepts and translating them into tangible solutions for the benefit of people, society, industry and the environment. The design of objects, communication, services, interface, and their systems requires in-depth analysis and the creative synthesis of information and ideas based on a variety of disciplines and experiences. Design thinking brings together the finest sensibilities of the arts, the logic of science and the functional pursuits of technology in an innovative framework.
A Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) degree in Design shall be awarded for a period of the advanced study that culminates with the design of an innovative solution/ approach/ method/ interface for a product/ communication/ service/ experience along with an accompanying thesis that extends the body of knowledge and the application of design thinking, process, and practice
The programme is open to educators and professionals in design and allied fields who wish to reinvent their own practice or knowledge base while pushing the boundaries of the discipline through innovation in practice and create new design theories. The Ph.D. the programme at NID is benchmarked to a level comparable to doctoral research in design at reputed institutions in the field, both abroad and in India.
Admission is Based on Design Research Test (DRT) and personal interview or presentation to the NID Selection Committee.
The following shall be the minimum eligibility for selection to the Ph.D. programme:
- Master’s degree in design from an accredited institution/recognized university OR NID’s PGDPD, AEPEP or five-year SLPEP Diploma in Design. Candidates with a master’s degree in areas relevant to design may also apply. Such candidates must have at least one recognized degree, either UG or PG, in the field of design.
- Bachelor’s degree in design from an accredited institution/recognized university OR NID’s GDPD or four-year SLPEP Diploma in Design, with at least three years of professional and/or teaching experience.
- Candidates who have successfully completed a faculty development programme in design or related field (of two or more years’ duration) from NID or any other university recognized by the UGC/Institutes of National Importance. They will be treated at par with Master’s level students.
- Candidates with qualifications in subjects other than design shall be entitled to apply to the Ph.D. programme, provided they have at least one recognized degree, either UG or PG, in the field of design, and have a demonstrated interest in and aptitude for the study of design. They also need to pass the Design Research Test (DRT).
- Candidates currently employed as design professionals should submit a letter from their employer supporting their application.