MCA (Master of Computer Applications)
What is MCA?
Master of Computer Application is a programme which comes with a 3-year duration and is targeted for those aspirants who are willing to dive deeper into the development of computer applications with the support of contemporary programming language. The students pursuing the MCA course are given a chance to develop modern software through the help of sophisticated tools and techniques. The programme is stretched in a time span of six semesters where the students learn skill development in computers in the first year, the second year teaches a conceptual study framework, and the third year renders specializations and necessary project work. There are ample qualified professionals in the field of information technology which are produced by many colleges who offer Master of Computer Application all over the country. A degree in MCA becomes a useful weapon when it is pursued full time by a college/institution which is recognised by AICTE (All India Council for Technical Education) and UGC (University Grants Commission). Thereby we present you all the necessary details which the aspirants should know about the MCA programme starting from scratch till the end in intricate details.
by a UGC and AICTE recognized college. (You are saying UGC and AICTE pursue the MCA degree)
Types of MCA
Master of Computer Application is a postgraduate programme in the field of computer applications which the aspirants can pursue after completing their bachelors in a related field such as BCA.
In order to pursue Master of Computer Application, aspirants have to meet the common eligibility criteria to qualify for admissions in any university. However, the MCA eligibility criteria vary from college to college depending upon their requirement for student’s academic qualifications:
· Candidates should have completed their BCA/B.Sc /B.Com or a similar stream and should have scored at least 50% marks in the Undergraduate level.
· Mathematics should be a compulsory subject in the 10+2 grade in order to be eligible.
In order to take admission in a Master of Computer Application programme in any university, candidates have to undergo a university level entrance exam such as IPU CET. In some cases, aspirants need to attend the state level entrance test such as MAH CET to get admissions. Further, there are two modes of admission procedures which candidates have to go through in order to pursue MCA from a well-recognized university.
Modes of admissions in MCA:
Candidates need to go through an entrance examination. Those eligible candidates who clear the result are called upon by the university to attend the counselling. In this process, students need to submit their documents and are then offered a seat in the affiliated college of their choice to pursue the MCA programme. Colleges who offer MCA via an entrance test are Greater Noida Institute of Technology, Shree Guru Gobind Singh Tricentenary University, Jamia Milia Islamia, MDU, etc.
When it comes to direct admission, candidates are judged upon their merit that they have scored in the last qualifying examination on the basis on which they offered a seat in the affiliated college. On the contrary, there are some colleges/universities who offer admissions to the MCA programme on a management quota basis. Candidates who take admission via management quota to pay a relatively higher fee than the other candidates. Some of the universities which offer management quota to students are Lovely Professional University, Chandigarh University, Amity University, etc.
Top MCA Exams
In order to enroll for admission in the college which offers Master of Computer Application, Candidates should take a note of some popular entrance exam which they should attempt. Giving these entrance tests not only paves your way for admissions in the most popular universities but also secures your future in every aspect.
Here are some of the following entrance test which every candidate should attend to pursue a degree in MCA programme in a well-reputed university:
· MAH MCA CET: Conducted by State Common Entrance Test Cell, Maharashtra for admissions in MCA programme amongst various universities.
· IPU CET: Indraprastha University common entrance test is conducted by the IP University/GGSIPU to offer admission in MCA and M.Tech programmes.
· UPSEE: A common entrance test conducted by Dr A.P.J. Abdul Kalam Technical University, Uttar Pradesh,.
· NIMCET 2020: A common entrance test which is conducted by National Institute of Technology (NITs) for admission in MCA.
· BIT MCA: Conducted by Birla Institute of Technology for admissions in MCA and other related programmes.
· VIT MEE 2020: Conducted by Vellore Institute of Technology for admission in MCA and MTech programmes.
OJEE 2020: Conducted by Odisha Joint entrance exam for admissions in MCA programmes
· TSICET 2020: Conducted by Telangana State Integrated Common Entrance Test for admission in various programmes including MCA.
Aspirants who are seeking admissions in Master of Computer Application programme from a well-reputed university of their choice must know the further specialisations that they can choose in this field. Candidates are offered these specialisations once they reach the 3rd year of MCA tenure. The specialisation offers candidates a chance to build deeper expertise and skill set into a particular subdomain of the MCA programme for better future prospects. Check the specialization which one can do in the MCA programme.
Specialisations in MCA:
· Application Software
· Hardware Technology
· Systems Management
· Systems Engineering
· Management Information Systems (MIS)
· Software Development
· Systems Development
The curriculum which candidates cover in the MCA programme are some of the common studied subjects all over the country which entails JAVA programming, cloud computing, network and database management, statistics, etc. for further details on the course/curriculum of MCA, check the information presented below for your reference.
Master of Computer Application - Syllabus
Introduction in IT
Computer Organisation & Architecture
Introduction to Management functions
Programming & Data Structure
Info Systems Analysis Design & Implementations
Unix & Windows Lab
Business Programme Lab
Oral and Wireless Communications
Accounting and Management Control
Probability & Combinatorics
Computer Communication Networks
Database Management Systems
Management Support System
Object Oriented Analysis and Design
Statistical Computing Lab
Software Engg. I
CASE Tools Lab
A.I and Applications
Software Engineering II
Optimisation Techniques Lab
Industrial Lectures Seminar, Project
AI & Application lab
Salary of MCA
Students who pursue Master of Computer Application not only create ample opportunities for themselves in the information technology arena but also reap huge paychecks from their organisation in return for the services rendered. There are plenty of employment opportunities in the private and government sector for the MCA graduates. Students who pursue a degree in MCA often land up a job in big multinational corporations such as Google, Amazon, Infosys, Deloitte, Sapient, Microsoft, IBM, etc.
Average Salary after MCA
Salary per month
Rs. 18,000 – Rs. 30,000
1 -3 years experience
Rs. 25,000 – Rs. 42,000
5 years and above experience
Rs. 50,000 – Rs. 1,30,000
Scope of MCA
Before deciding to take admissions in Master of Computer Application, candidates must know in detail about the future scope of this postgraduate programme. There are a wide variety of job opportunities for MCA graduates in the employment sectors such as Information Technology, Desktop publishing, Banking, NBFC (Non-banking financial company), cloud networking, cloud computing, digital marketing, logistics, Web Designing & Development, E-Commerce, Design Support And Data Communications, Consultancies, Simulation, Security and Surveillance Companies, Stock Exchange, System Maintenance, etc. Reason being, that these professionals get well versed in the field of software/application development and have the prerequisite knowledge of working on a variety of programming languages. Henceforth their demand in the industry goes on increasing.
Careers opportunities after MCA
After completing MCA, aspirants can get employed in different corporations at various job roles across all industries for a better future. Some of the job roles after completing Master of Computer Application have been enlisted here for a better reference.
· App Developer – Responsible for the development, management, and design of mobile applications for platforms such as windows, android, IOS, etc.
· Business Analyst – Analysis of business opportunities, strength, weakness and strengths to start and operate a business smoothly.
· Database Engineer – Accountable for taking control of the operations, validity and relevance of the complex database system.
· Ethical Hacker – Experts who hijack a computer system to detect and discover the system vulnerabilities which could otherwise be exploited by any other hacker.
· Hardware Engineer – Produces hardware equipment, installs and scrutinises the system to make sure that the internet functions smoothly.
· Manual Tester – Physically test the software to make it fit for the end usage.
· Technical Writers - Writing documents which involve explaining the technical procedures such as product description, product manuals etc.
· Trouble-shooters – Ensuring smooth and simultaneous working of hardware and software for a timely delivery.
· Social Media Handler – Handle social media accounts for the promotion of products and services amongst the audience.
· Web Designer/Developer – Responsible for designing a website using creative skills on platforms such as world wide web, HTML, photoshop, etc.
Frequently Asked Question (FAQs) - MCA (Master of Computer Applications)
Question: What career opportunities are associated with MCA?
MCA graduate candidates attain their preferred job roles on the basis of their technical expertise. They can get employed in various sectors such as Information Technology, networking, banking, NBFC (non banking finance corporation), desktop publishing, etc. After pursuing a degree in MCA, students can also become a lecturer/professor.
Question: What is the syllabus of MCA?
MCA Syllabus includes Programming & Data Structure, Oral and Wireless Communications, Unix & Windows Lab, Database Management Systems, Optimisation Techniques, Network Lab, A.I and Applications and much more.
Question: What are the job profiles after completing MCA?
The job profiles after completing Masters in Computer Application are Web Designer/Web Developer, Computer System Analyst, Software Developer, Database Administrator, Software Engineer or Programmer, Software Application Architect, Project Manager, Hardware Engineer, Software Consultant, and Senior Technical Consultant.
Question: What is the average salary of an MCA graduate in India?
The average salary of an MCA graduate ranges between Rs 4 lakhs to Rs 7 Lacs per annum in India.
Question: Do I have to pursue an MCA to have a good career in software development?
Yes, to build a great career in the field of software development, it is a right choice to pursue a degree in Masters in Computer Application as the student harnesses a good amount of skills and expertise in the web development through the use of software programming languages such as JAVA, Asp.net, linux, etc.