- Welcome to this course! Meet your professor, Jane McGonigal
- What's a preferred future?
- Tips on Preferred Futures
- Working backward from a Preferred Future
- Good news from the future!
Urgent Optimism: How to Turn Foresight into Action
Apply foresight skills for positive changes in life with this certification course on Urgent Optimism: How to Turn Foresight into Action by Coursera.
Medium of instructions English
Mode of learning Self study, Classroom
Mode of Delivery Video and Text Based
The Urgent Optimism: How to Turn Foresight into Action online course is introduced by Jane McGonigal, the Institute for the Future's research director, and is built on the Coursera website in partnership with the Institute for the Future. The online course takes 10 hours to complete and comes with a verified certificate. For a greater learning experience, the course will be taught in English with five separate language subtitles. The Urgent Optimism: How to Turn Foresight into Action syllabus is a four-week course that teaches students creativity, innovation and foresight and for enrolment, the applicants do not need to fulfil any prerequisites. This course is a beginner-level course planned with a flexible deadline that will give students practical experience with artifact creation and roadmap planning.
- Instructed by Jane McGonigal
- Subtitles offered in five languages
- Part of the Futures Thinking Specialisation
- Beginner or novice level of difficulty
- Flexible programme based coursework
- The programme offered by Institute of the Future
- Thoroughly online programme
- Shareable verified certificate
- 10 hours of coursework
- English medium of instruction
- Four weeks of coursework
- Cheat sheet
- Practice exercises
- Reading materials
- Video lectures
Course and certificate fees
Type of course
A fee of Rs. 3615 is paid as part of the Urgent Optimism: How to Turn Foresight into Action fee.
The candidate can sign up for a free 7-day trial if they wish to learn more about the essence of coursework.
certificate providing authority
Who it is for
The Urgent Optimism: How to Turn Foresight into Action programme is for the following
Candidates who wish to make changes in their work, life, and their surrounding world in general.
The enrollment in the Urgent Optimism: How to Turn Foresight into Action certification does not necessitate any previous educational experience.
Certification Qualification Details
To achieve the Urgent Optimism: How to Turn Foresight into Action certification, the students must complete the necessary coursework, quizzes, and materials.
What you will learn
The Urgent Optimism: How to Turn Foresight into Action programme is planned for the following:
- The Urgent Optimism: How to Turn Foresight into Action certification syllabus will help the candidate get introduced to learn about preferred futures and tips on working with them through a regression methodology.
- The candidate will learn about creating images of the future as well as measures and influences affecting them.
- There will be knowledge of artifacts that are futuristic and the tips to progress towards thinking and creating them.
- The candidate will learn about identifying obstacles as well as plan, make allies, allocate resources, and refer to an action plan for preferred futures.
Filling the form
Take the steps listed below to enroll in the Urgent Optimism: How to Turn Foresight into Action online course and receive the certificate.
Step 1: To begin an application for the programme, the applicant can go to the website.
Step 2: Students must press "Next" after choosing "Enroll" from the menu.
Step 3: The applicant must then complete and apply the registration or application form containing all of the required information.
Step 4: Students must first pay the course fee before enrolling in the course.
Week 1: Preferred Futures
Week 2: Images of the Future
- What's an image of the future?
- Today's Images of the Future
- Measuring and influencing optimism about the future
- 3 images of the future, the year 2027
Week 3: Artifacts from the Future
- What are artifacts from the future?
- More examples of artifacts from the future
- Tips for thinking of artifacts
- Demo: How I made these artifacts!
Week 4: Action Roadmaps
- Introduction to action roadmaps
- How to build an action roadmap (part 1)
- How to build an action roadmap (part 2)
- Mini-masterclass: group and community futures (Part 1)
- Mini-masterclass: group and community futures (Part 2)
- Scenario: Sudan 2030
Students who cannot afford to pay the course fee will be given financial support by Coursera. Candidates may apply for financial aid by selecting "Financial Aid" from the drop-down menu to the left of the "Enroll" column. The accepted applicants will be informed after the applications have been submitted.
How it helps
Students in Urgent Optimism: How to Turn Foresight into Action certification benefits by solving the day-to-day challenges and go forward with a well-planned vision for the future. Candidates can gain practical experience in the area of preferred futures developing the skill set in areas of innovation and planning, which are critical for leadership positions. The credential is signed and validated by Jane McGonigal who is the research director of “Institute for the Future” making it a well globally accredited certificate. The candidate with such a certificate will be able to engage with prospective employers and recruiters. The candidate will be able to collaborate with like-minded peers or experts for any potential project collaboration, through a variety of networking portals. Additionally, the candidate would have a higher chance of being employed in special positions such as think tanks and research institutes, which demand strong forecasting capabilities and strategic execution of concepts.
The applicant in a self-paced learning environment will have Urgent Optimism: How to Turn Foresight into Action benefits and they will be able to learn at their own pace without being constrained by a strict scheduled timetable or plan.
Applicants to the Urgent Optimism: How to Turn Foresight into the Action training programme will have one week of access to the programme and will be able to attend lectures.
Applicants must first apply for the software at the official link and then request the application at the official link.
Individually, the course will help them develop their skillset and improve their forecasting abilities in order to generate roadmap actions.
Since the course is taught entirely in English, subtitles in five languages are given to aid the candidate's learning.
On completing the Urgent Optimism: How to Turn Foresight into Action online course, you can mention the same on your portfolio, resume and share it on your social media handles.
To register for and read about the Urgent Optimism: How to Turn Foresight into Action certification, the candidate does not need to follow any specific qualifications.
The coursework will be completed entirely online which will take a total of 10 hours to complete.
Students need to register for the "Financial Assistance" option after selecting the "Enroll" option on the website tab in order to receive financial aid in the Urgent Optimism: How to Turn Foresight into Action certificate.
The Data Lab via Futurelearn
Catalyst via Edx
Catalyst via Edx
MIT via Edx
Doane University, Crete via Edx
University of Texas, Austin via Edx
Harvard University, Cambridge via Edx
MIT via Edx
Courses of your interest
More Courses by Institute for the Future, Palo Alto
The Brochure has been downloaded and sent to your registered email ID successfully.
Brochure has been downloaded.