- What can't be different in the future?
- Welcome to the course! Meet your professor Jane McGonigal
- Technique #2: Remember the future
- Technique #1: predict the past
- Neurological pathways of simulation
- Technique #3: hard empathy
Simulation Skills: This is Your Brain on the Future
Simulate your future creatively and effectively with this certification course on Simulation Skills: This is Your Brain on the Future by Coursera.
Medium of instructions English
Mode of learning Self study, Classroom
Mode of Delivery Video and Text Based
The Simulation Skills: This Is Your Brain on the Future online course is built on the Coursera platform in collaboration with the Institute for the Future and presented by Jane McGonigal, director of the institute. The online course takes 12 hours to complete and includes a certified certificate at the end. The course will be taught in English with nine different language subtitles for a better learning environment. The Simulation Skills: This Is Your Brain on the Future syllabus is offered as a four-week course that allows students to learn strategy and forecasting. Applicants do not need to meet any prerequisites in order to enrol. This program is a beginner-level course with a flexible deadline that will provide students with hands-on skills in future envisionment.
- Amateur or beginner level of difficulty
- Instructed by Jane McGonigal
- English medium of instruction
- Subtitles offered in nine languages
- Institute of the Future programme
- Flexible programme based coursework
- Fully online programme
- Part of the Futures Thinking Specialisation
- 12-hour coursework
- Shareable verified certificate
- Four weeks of coursework
- Reading materials
- Practice exercises
- Video lectures
Course and certificate fees
Type of course
There is a fee of Rs. 3615 that is charged as the Simulation Skills: This Is Your Brain on the Future fee.
Note: Students who want to understand the nature of coursework should sign up for a free 7-day trial.
certificate providing authority
This certification course does not require any prior educational background specified for enrollment.
Certification Qualification Details
Students must complete the requisite coursework, quizzes and materials to earn the Simulation Skills: This Is Your Brain on the Future certification.
What you will learn
The Simulation Skills: This Is Your Brain on the Future programme is planned for the following:
- The course will teach the candidate to learn about the basics of mental simulation and imagination.
- The Simulation Skills: This Is Your Brain on the Future certification syllabus will help the candidate learn about the three techniques used for creativity and opportunity identification.
- The candidate will learn about first-person futures and will help him or her visualise the future from a subjective point of view with strategy, creativity and motivation.
- The candidate will learn about simulating alternative futures with multiple possibilities and employ a powerful method for creating different futures at the same time.
- The candidate will learn from simulating four to a maximum of hundred different versions of the same perceived future.
- With imagination, the candidate will be introduced to advanced topics which will involve innovations related to haptics, virtual reality, design and storytelling.
- The candidate will be empowered in strategy, motivation and develop forecasting skills for the best possible simulation.
Filling the form
In order to enroll in the Simulation Skills: This Is Your Brain on the Future online course and obtains a certificate, you must follow the steps outlined below.
Step 1: The applicant should go to the website to start an application for the programme.
Step 2: After selecting "Enroll" from the menu, students must click the "Next" option.
Step 3: The applicant must then fill out the registration or application form with all of the necessary details and submit it.
Step 4: Before enrolling in the course, applicants must first pay the course fee.
Week 1: Introduction to Mental Simulation
Week 2: First-Person Futures
- Thinking in facts versus thinking in first person
- Your future self is a stranger
- The superstruct game
- First-person creativity
- Let's try some first person futures!
Week 3: Alternative Futures
- SCENARIO: The future of marriage
- 100 Ways anything could Be different
- How to envision alternative future (part 1)
- Introduction to alternative futures
- Alternative futures for caregiving in 2031
- How to envision alternative futures (part 2)
Week 4: Advanced Simulation Topics
- The sustainer
- Introduction to advanced simulation topics
- Full body simulation part 1
- What is Afrofuturism?
- Congratulations on finishing this course!
- Full body simulation part 2
Coursera will provide financial assistance to students who cannot afford to cover the course fee. Candidates may qualify for financial assistance by using the drop-down menu to the left of the "Enroll" tab and clicking "Financial Aid." After the applications have been submitted, the approved candidates will be notified.
How it helps
The students in the Simulation Skills: This Is Your Brain on the Future certification benefits as the candidate will be taught how they will be able to overcome day-to-day present struggles towards progress with a well-thought-out strategy for the future. The candidates will develop good hands-on skills in creativity and strategy which are essential for leadership roles. The candidate will be able to strengthen his or her position in professional roles which involve simulation, motivation, and hope. The candidate will be able to carve out a career in the area of futurism as well as develop his or her portfolio as an empowered candidate with hands-on simulation and forecasting skills. Furthermore, the applicant will have a better chance of being hired in special positions in areas such as think tanks and research institutes which require good forecasting skills and strategic implementation of ideas.
Visit the official website to register and submit your application.
Applicants to the Simulation Skills: This Is Your Brain on the Future training programme will have access to the programme for one week and will be able to participate in the lectures.
The course is completely taught in English, but subtitles are provided in nine different languages available to aid the candidate’s learning.
As an individual, the course will assist him or her in strengthening their simulation and forecasting skills to create futuristic visions with creativity and strategy.
The Simulation Skills: This Is Your Brain on the Future certification does not need to meet any particular qualifying criteria in order to apply and learn.
On completing the Simulation Skills: This is Your Brain on the Future training online course, you add the same to your portfolio, resume, or CV, and share it on social media platforms.
In the Simulation Skills: This Is Your Brain on the Future certificate, the students must apply for the "Financial Assistance" option following the "Enroll" option on the website tab.
The fully online course can be completed in 12 hours.
The Simulation Skills: This is Your Brain on the Future benefits the candidate in a self-paced learning system at one's leisure or available time without being bound by a tight timetable or schedule.
Google via Coursera
Georgia Tech via Udacity
Institute for the Future, Palo Alto via Coursera
Institute for the Future, Palo Alto via Coursera
SDG Academy via Edx
European Institute of Innovation and Technology via Coursera
Technical University of Munich via Edx
IsraelX via Edx
University of Texas at Arlington via Edx
University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia via Edx
Courses of your interest
More Courses by Institute for the Future, Palo Alto
The Brochure has been downloaded and sent to your registered email ID successfully.
Brochure has been downloaded.