- Module 1 Introduction
- Disability Types, Demographics, and Theoretical Models
- Visual Disabilities
- Perspective on Visual Disabilities
- Hearing Disabilities
- Perspectives on Hearing Disabilities
- Mobility Disabilities
- Perspective on Mobility Disabilities: Kathleen Downes
- Perspective on Mobility Disabilities: Allison Boot
- Cognitive Disabilities
- Perspective on Cognitive Disabilities
- Disability Etiquette
An Introduction to Accessibility and Inclusive Design
Develop your knowledge on the basics of accessibility and assistive technologies for disabilities with this online course.
Medium of instructions English
Mode of learning Self study
Mode of Delivery Video and Text Based
An Introduction to Accessibility and Inclusive Design online programme is provided by the online educational platform Coursera and is developed by the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. This is a four weeks programme consisting of course materials amounting to fifteen hours. The online training is guided by the course educators, Marc Thompson(Assistant Director of Teaching and Learning Experiences), Lori Lane(IT Accessibility Specialist in Universal design) and Tania Heap(Director of Learning Research and Accessibility).
An Introduction to Accessibility and Inclusive Design online course is a study about support and operations that focuses on the kinds of disabilities and the adaptive techniques and design technologies that ensures accessibility along with universal design strategies. In this course, the practical learning experience of the concepts is aided by the testimonials from experts which will provide the candidates with a clear understanding of the topics discussed in relation to disability, universal design and learning, accessibility and accommodation.
- Online mode
- Fifteen hours course
- Beginner level training
- Learning at your speed
- Adjustable deadlines
- Financial aid
- Subtitles in French, Portuguese, Russian, English, Spanish
- Course videos
- Practice exercises
Course and certificate fees
Type of course
The course amount for ‘An Introduction to Accessibility and Inclusive Design’ online training on Coursera is specific to the mode in which the candidate chooses to study.
An Introduction to Accessibility and Inclusive Design fee structure
Audit mode(No certificate, tests)
certificate providing authority
Who it is for
An Introduction to Accessibility and Inclusive Design online certification course helps the candidates who are associated with accessibility and universal design learning strategies for improved content accessibility and creation.
Certificate qualifying details
The certificate for ‘An Introduction to Accessibility and Inclusive Design’ online training is issued by Coursera to the candidates who have completed the course and earned the certificate by paying the course fee.
What you will learn
An Introduction to Accessibility and Inclusive Design online programme helps the learners gain knowledge about the aspects of disabilities while exploring the technological advances and the practical challenges associated with it. The programme provides insights on the occupation specific perspectives on accommodation and the related concepts like the accessible document design, accessible testing and testing accommodations. The Universal Design for Learning (UDL) and the inclusive design practices are analysed and understood by the candidates during the course instruction. An Introduction to Accessibility and Inclusive Design online training course familiarises the learners with the knowledge of digital tools for accessing the digital content and for content creation. The candidates gain knowledge about the accessibility views of the digital formats like HTML, MS Office, PDF, multimedia inclusive of aspects like captioning and complex images.
The candidates can register online on the Coursera website for the ‘An Introduction to Accessibility and Inclusive Design’ online course.
Step 1: On the official course page of the Coursera website using the link,
Step 2: Click on the ‘Enroll for free’ option on the course page.
Step 3: Select the ‘Purchase Course’ option and click ‘Continue
Step 4: Fill in the required information to complete the registration to join the course.
Filling the form
During the registration process for the Coursera account, the candidates will have to enter the email address and a password to sign in to the course.
Week1: Module 1: Understanding Disability and Assistive Technology
- Module 1 Readings and Resources
- Module 1 Quiz
Week 2: Module 2: The Legal Landscape and the Workplace
- Module 2 Introduction
- The Legal Landscape and the Workplace
- Timothy Nugent: The Game Changer
- Accessibility Policy at Illinois
- Instructional Designer: Tania Heap
- Instructor: Lawrence Angrave
- Senior ICT Specialist: Julie Romanowski
- Web Developer: Tim Offenstein
- Text Conversion Services
- Captioning Services
- Accessible Document Design Services
- Testing Accommodations
- Module 2 Readings and Resources
- "Accommodation" vs. "Universal Design"
- Module 2 Quiz
Week 3: Module 3: Universal Design
- Module 3 Introduction
- The Seven Principles of Universal Design
- Universal Design for Learning
- Guidelines: WCAG 2.0 and POUR principles
- Universal Design for Instruction: Sheryl Burgstahler
- Perspective on Universal Design: Jon Gunderson
- Perspective on Universal Design: Hadi Rangin
- Module 3 Readings and Resources
- Module 3 Quiz
Week 4: Module 4: Accessible digital materials
- Module 4 Introduction
- HTML Basics: Structuring Content
- HTML Basics: Logical structure (Headings and Lists)
- HTML Basics: Tables & Links
- HTML Basics: Images, Charts, and Graphs
- Accessible Word Documents: Styles
- Accessible Word Documents: Logical Document Structure
- Accessible Word Documents: Tables
- Accessible Word Documents: Images
- Accessible Word Documents: Links
- Accessible Word Documents: Color Contrast
- Accessible Word Documents: Document Properties
- Accessible Word Documents: Accessibility Checker
- JAWS Screen Reader Reading Accessible Word Document
- Accessible PDF Documents
- Accessible PowerPoint Documents: Overview and Major Issues
- Accessible PowerPoint Documents: Best Practices for Making PowerPoint More Accessible
- Accessible PowerPoint Documents: Creating Accessible Charts and Graphs
- Captioning and Audio Description
- Complex Images
- Accessible STEM Content
- Tools for Evaluating Accessibility
- Joining a Community of Practice
- Certificate Programs: IADP
- Targeted Badging Courses
- IAAP Certifications
- Module 4 Readings and Resources
- PowerPoint Version Information
- Where Can You Go from Here?
- Module 4 Quiz
- End of Course Survey
- The online Coursera website offers financial help for students who can’t afford the course fee to get access to the tests and the certificate for ‘An Introduction to Accessibility and Inclusive Design’ online certification course.
- The candidates can apply through the ‘Financial aid available’ option on the course page.
How it helps
An Introduction to Accessibility and Inclusive Design online certification programme benefits the candidates by providing skills and expertise on the protocols associated with disabilities, Universal design and Universal design for learning, fitting the perspective of accommodation in higher education sector, policies in campus accessibility and the concept of accessibility in corporate setting.
This online course is developed and offered by the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
This online programme is scheduled for four weeks with fifteen hours worth of course materials.
There is no eligibility criteria required for the completion of the online course.
There is no specific time as the candidates are allowed to access the course online at their own convenience.
Yes, the course can be accessed online for free in the audit mode without access to the tests and certificate.
Juno College of Technology
Google via Coursera
Google via Coursera
Google via Coursera
Google via Coursera
Courses of your interest
More Courses by University of Illinois
The Brochure has been downloaded and sent to your registered email ID successfully.
Brochure has been downloaded.