- Mode: Part time
- Duration: 6 Years
- Offered by: Periyar University, Salem
Doctor of Philosophy(Ph.D.) in English Part-Time program shall be for a minimum duration of three years, including course work and a maximum of six years. Extension beyond the above limits will be governed by the relevant clauses as stipulated in the Statute/Ordinance of the individual Institution concerned offered by Periyar University, Salem.
A Common Entrance Test will be conducted for all the Ph.D. applicants PT aspiring to join the University Departments and approved affiliated colleges/ institutions.
1. An Entrance Test consists of both written test and oral interview. The written test will be conducted for 40 marks and oral interviews for 10 marks. Candidates securing 50% altogether shall be declared eligible for admission. Those candidates who scored at least 15 marks in the written test will be called for an oral interview. The rank list may be prepared based on entrance test (50%) and P.G. marks (50%).
2. An interview to be organized to discuss their research interest/area through a presentation before a duly constituted Department Research Committee to cheek the candidate’s competence for the proposed research.
A candidate, possessing requisite qualifications and falling under any of the following categories, is eligible to do research on a Part-Time basis (i.e., can carry out research while continuing as teacher, etc.)
- A Teacher working in the Department of this University or in an affiliated College of this University.
- A teacher working in Higher Secondary School or High School or Polytechnic with three years of experience within the territorial jurisdiction of the University.
- A candidate employed, other than a teacher, in a permanent job, within the territorial jurisdiction of the University with a minimum of four years working experience put in continuously after the qualifying degree and satisfying the rules framed separately by the Syndicate from time to time.
- Research Assistants/Technical Assistants appointed by the University with two years of experience are eligible to register for the Ph.D. degree on a part-time basis in the same department