- Is industry special?
- Can we broaden the options?
- Introducing “industries without smokestacks”
- Win-win policies
- An agenda for aid
- Mini-documentary: How to provide jobs & transform livelihoods
Industrial Policy in the 21st Century: The Challenge for Africa
Learn about the future of Africa’s economic growth & industrialisation options in Industrial Policy in the 21st Century: Challenge for Africa program on edX.
Medium of instructions English
Mode of learning Self study
Mode of Delivery Video and Text Based
Learning efforts 2-4 Hours Per Week
The World Bank states that Africa’s working-age population is likely to increase by almost 70% by 2035. However, to achieve sustainable development, industrialisation is crucial to create jobs. While rapid manufacturing has been beneficial for east Asian countries, will it be useful for Africa? Industrial Policy in the 21st Century: The Challenge for Africa online course explores this and many other questions related to Africa’s industrialisation policy requirements.
The Industrial Policy in the 21st Century: The Challenge for Africa course surveys various ways to promote economic growth in Africa. The prime focus will be on ‘industries without smokestacks’, an industrial policy that encourages industry growth and economic development in Africa, foregoing the manufacturing policies.
Industrial Policy in the 21st Century: The Challenge for Africa is a four-week online course. However, you can learn at your own speed. With a weekly effort of two to four hours, you will be able to complete the course on time. The educator for this course is John Page, a representative of the SDG Academy.
- The advanced online certification programme
- Free enrolment and paid benefits options
- Economics and Finance training by SDG Academy
- Self-paced learning with a weekly effort of two to four hours
- Four-week duration with English language videos and transcripts
- Free enrolment and paid benefits options
- Advanced online certification programme
- Economics and finance training by sdg academy
- Four-week duration with english language videos and transcript
Course and certificate fees
Type of course
Industrial Policy in the 21st Century: The Challenge for Africa programme enrolment doesn't require any fee. You need to pay the fee if you want to qualify for a certificate and access the course material for unlimited time.
Industrial Policy in the 21st Century: The Challenge for Africa fee structure
Industrial Policy in the 21st Century: The Challenge for Africa (Certificate)
certificate providing authority
Who it is for
Industrial Policy in the 21st Century: The Challenge for Africa training is ideal for:
- Policy professionals
- Advanced undergraduate and graduate students
- Development practitioners.
This certification would be best understood if you have an undergraduate-level understanding of development theory and economics.
What you will learn
Explore these concepts in the Industrial Policy in the 21st Century: The Challenge for Africa programme:
- Which key drivers of industrialisation can support new as well as traditional industries in Africa?
- Why African industrialisation is better off without the manufacturing model
- How Africa’s development can be supported by industrial policy
- How ‘industries without smokestacks’ offer a promising alternative
- Secure your admission to the programme by going to the course page
- Select ‘Enroll Now’ and sign in with your credentials.
- Select between two available options: free enrolment and paid benefits. Make the payment if required.
Filling the form
Industrial Policy in the 21st Century: The Challenge for Africa online course admission process begins with a sign-up sheet. Here, you can create your edX profile by providing details of your name, email ID and a password of your selection. You could also skip this by using your social profiles to sign in. acceptable profiles are Google/Facebook/Apple/Microsoft.
Module 1: Industry as a driver of structural change
Module 2: The recipe for industrial growth
- Drivers of the industry: exports and the basics
- Drivers of the industry: firm capabilities
- Drivers of the industry: agglomerations
- Lessons from East Africa
- Is manufacturing the answer? Expert views
- Manufacturing is still the answer - Justin Lin
- Manufacturing might not be the answer - Joseph Stiglitz
- Industry case studies
- Light manufacturing
Module 3: Avoiding the resource curse
- Natural resources: opportunities and risks
- Natural resources: investing to invest
- Lessons from Viet Nam, Tanzania and Senegal
- Activity: What the data shows
Module 4: Industrial policies for Africa
- Industrial policy: what, why, how?
- Industrial policy in Africa
- The challenge for Africa
- How to avoid the capture of politicians?
- Lessons from Ethiopia
How it helps
You can enrol into the Industrial Policy in the 21st Century: The Challenge for Africa Certification for free and learn under the guidance of experienced faculty from SDG academy. Besides that, the shareable certificate you earn at the end of the programme will be beneficial to your resume and increase your career prospects.
Yes, you can enrol on the course for free.
No, for access to the curriculum for unlimited time, you need to pay the course fee.
Yes, the e-certificate can be directly posted on LinkedIn.
The course will be conducted by John Page on behalf of SDG academy.
Courses of your interest
The Brochure has been downloaded and sent to your registered email ID successfully.
Brochure has been downloaded.