10 Best NPTEL Online Courses
The National Program on Technology Enhanced Learning (NPTEL) is a MOOC (Massive Open Online Course) platform of Government. This is initiated to deliver quality education to students who dream of learning from the IITs. Today, more than 600+ NPTEL online courses are available in different science and technical branches. The best part is that NPTEL online certification course registration is free. Anybody can access any NPTEL certification course and build their skills. The NPTEL online certification course programme was primarily designed for all the engineering students and was a fixed course structure to be followed amid the undergraduate engineering program in India. To receive a certificate after completion of the online course, one needs to pay a nominal fee for NPTEL exam registration and then appear for the exam.
Also Read: Aircraft Stability and Control certification
10 Best NPTEL Online Courses
NPTEL online certification curriculum is based on the model guidelines given by the All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE). Here are the top 10 best NPTEL online courses one can opt for:
Advanced Computer Architecture
Prof. John Jose
The Joy of Computing using Python
Prof. S.R.S Iyengar
Introduction to Machine Learning
Prof. Sudeshna Sarkar
Big Data Computing
Prof. Rajiv Misra
Optical Fiber Sensors
Prof. Balaji Srinivasan
Signal and Systems
Prof. Kushal K. Shahvia
Basics of Materials Engineering
Prof. Ratna Kumar Annabattula
Automation in Manufacturing
Dr Shrikrishna N. Joshi
Advanced Concepts in Fluid Mechanics
Prof. Aditya Bandopadhyay and Prof. S. Chakraborty
Top 10 NPTEL online courses to pursue
1. Advanced Computer Architecture - This one of the popular NPTEL online courses for computer science will help you understand the fundamentals of computer organization easily. In this NPTEL certification course, you will learn the topics like cache memory principles, superscalar processing, primary and secondary storage systems etc. The duration of this course is 8 weeks which is coordinated by IIT Guwahati and taught by Prof. John Jose via NPTEL.
Also read - Computer Architecture certification
2. The Joy of Computing using Python - Want to learn Python? If yes, then take this course and you will experience the environment where you can learn programming easily. Concepts such as what are loops, scratch, the solution to looping problems, recursion, anagrams, much more will be taught here. The duration of this NPTEL computer science course is 12 weeks which is coordinated by IIT Ropar and taught by Prof. S.R.S Iyengar via NPTEL
3. Introduction to Machine Learning - Machine learning is very much in demand and so attending this course will make you understand machine learning in a better way. Beginning with an introduction and then heading to other topics such as hypothesis space and inductive bias. The duration of this Computer Science and Engineering is 8 weeks which is coordinated by IIT Kharagpur and taught by Prof. Sudeshna Sarkar via NPTEL.
Also Read: Architectural Acoustics
4. Big Data Computing - NPTEL online certification courses for computer science will give you a complete understanding of what big data is. Further in this course, you will learn about the Hadoop stack in detail. Apart from this, parallel programming with spark, Hadoop MapReduce, CAP theorem will also be discussed. The duration of this course is 8 weeks which is coordinated by IIT Patna and taught by Prof. Rajiv Misra via NPTEL.
5. Optical Fiber Sensors - This NPTEL online course belongs to the Electrical Engineering discipline in which you will learn optical fiber sensing principles and technology. Also, associated specialty fiber types, as well as components needed for their system integration, will be discussed. The duration of this course is 2 weeks which is coordinated by IIT Madras and taught by Prof. Balaji Srinivasan via NPTEL.
6. Power Electronics - This NPTEL online course belongs to the Electrical Engineering discipline in which you will understand the basics of magnetic components such as inductors and transformers. Also, you will learn how to design and optimize inductors as well as transformers for switched-mode power converters. This course is coordinated by IIT Delhi and taught by Prof. G.Bhuvaneswari via NPTEL.
Also Read: Introduction to mechanobiology certification
7. Signal and Systems - This is another important Electrical Engineering course named Signals and Systems which will give you an introduction to analog and digital signal processing. This course also covers different topics such as seismic data processing, speech processing, communications, image processing, consumer electronics, defense electronics, and consumer products. The duration of this course is 12 weeks which is coordinated by IISER Bhopal and taught by Prof. Kushal K. Shahvia NPTEL.
8. Basics of Materials Engineering - The objective of this Mechanical Engineering course is to introduce the fundamental concepts of materials science. This covers different concepts like the structure of crystalline materials, the processing of materials through phase diagrams, defects and their implications to mechanical behaviour, and so on. The duration of this NPTEL online certification course is 4 weeks which is coordinated by IIT Madras and taught by Prof. Ratna Kumar Annabattula NPTEL.
9. Automation in Manufacturing - This course of Mechanical Engineering is designed with the main focal points being the designing and development of automation-enabled systems for manufacturing, use of mechatronics, and systems required. You will also learn about the sensors/transducers, drives, actuators, and mechanisms, hydraulic and pneumatic systems.
The duration of NPTEL online certification course is 4 weeks, which is coordinated by IIT Guwahati and taught by Dr Shrikrishna N. Joshi via NPTEL.
10. Advanced Concepts in Fluid Mechanic- This special Electrical Engineering course deals with advanced concepts in Fluid Mechanics. The duration of this NPTEL certification course is 12 weeks which is coordinated by IIT Kharagpur and taught by Prof. Aditya Bandopadhyay and Prof. S. Chakraborty via NPTEL.
Frequently Asked Question (FAQs) - 10 Best NPTEL Online Courses
Question: What types of courses are available at NPTEL?
NPTEL contains different types of courses which include technical and non-technical. The aspirants from the engineering or management field can check out the courses and apply whichever they like to do.
Question: What are the eligibility criteria for NPTEL Courses?
There is no particular eligibility criterion set for NPTEL courses as the online courses are easily accessible by everyone. But, candidates applying for the programs offered by NPTEL should be around 13 or above that. Further, students having basic knowledge about specific, varied topics and subjects can use the NPTEL courses for better understanding.
Question: What is the admission fee for NPTEL Courses?
NPTEL courses are free to access. There are no registration charges. The enrolled students can take up the online course of their choice by enrolling their name. However, for certification, candidates are required to pay INR 1000/course exam.
Question: Which are the associated partners of NPTEL course programs?
NPTEL is partnered with the renowned industries or corporate companies to offer courses and job opportunities: Internshala, IBM India Private Limited, Infoziant Systems Private Limited, Glass Academy, Defence Research, and Development Organisation, Vunet Systems, Archon Solutions PVT Limited, SpringRole India Private Limited, etc.
Question: What are the salary prospects of NPTEL certificate holders?
A fresher with NPTEL certification can earn a pay package ranging from a minimum of Rs 15,000 to Rs 30,000 per month. Whereas, a candidate holding good years of experience in the specific field, can earn an average pay package ranging from Rs 1.5 lakhs to Rs 8 lakhs per annum.
Question: Can I download the course lectures?
Yes, you can download the video lectures if you own broadband connectivity and browsers such as IE 7 onwards, Firefox, and Safari etc. Visit the website http://NPTEL.iitm.ac.in and then go to the course of interest to download the video. Under the "download" tab, every lecture of that particular course is listed.
Question: What are the passing criteria for the NPTEL exam?
A learner will receive the NPTEL certificate if he/she will pass and secure assignment score (out of 100) >= 40 and Final exam score (out of 100) >= 40. If he/she secures less than 40, he/she will not get a certificate.
Question: How will I get the certificate?
To get the certificate candidates will have to clear the exams with more than a 40% score. The certificate can be downloaded NPTEL website.
Question: What is the use of the course/certificate?
The courses available at the NPTEL portal will enable students to learn from the best faculty belonging to IITs. Candidates can also take these courses for preparation for the GATE exam. These courses are also serving as faculty development programmes useful for teachers to upgrade their skills.
Question: What is the value of NPTEL online certification courses?
NPTEL online certification courses are valuable to secure good jobs. Anyone who does not belong to the IIT system still receives a certificate from IITs after pursuing the NPTEL course.
Skill Development Updates and Articles
To become more competent in your work area, pursue these 9 mus...
If you are also interested in pursuing French language certifi...
This article carries the list of free MOOC courses with certif...