Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee was established in the year 1956, as the country’s 7th IIT. Further, in the year 2001, the Government of India declared IIT Roorkee as the “Institution of National Importance”. The Institution plays a vital role in providing the know-how to the country and in pursuit of research and technical manpower. IIT Roorkee offers bachelor's degree courses in 10 disciplines of engineering and architecture and postgraduate degree in 55 disciplines of engineering, applied science, architecture and planning. The Institute has facility for doctoral work in all Departments and Research Centres.
IIT Roorkee is located at Roorkee-Haridwar Highway, in Uttarakhand. The main bus depot of IIT Roorkee is located on NH58. Dhandera Railway Station is 3.3 km away from IIT Roorkee. Dehradun's Jolly Grant Airport is 68.3 km away from the institution. Students can hire a taxi in order to reach the institution.
Accreditations and Collaborations:
- The institution is accredited by NAAC.
- McMaster University, Canada
- Instituto Superior Tecnico, Portugal
- National Nuclear Data Center, Brookhaven National Lab,. U.S.A.
- Royal Institute of Science & Technology, Sweden
- Lawerence Berkley Lab, California, USA
- University of Leoben , Austria
- Forschungszentrum Karlsruhe, Germany
- Materials Research Laboratory, Pennstate, USA
- York University, Toronto, Canada
- Institute Of Physics, Belgrade, Serbia
- University of Munster, Munster, Germany
- Miyazaki University, Miyazaki, Japan
- Institute of Physics, Torun, Poland
- Department of Physics, California State University, Fullerton, USA
- City University of Hong Kong
- University of Nice, France
- University of Limoges, France
- City University London
- University of Alberta, Canada
- The University of British Columbia, Canada
- The University of Western Ontario, Canada
- The Ecole Speciale des Travaux Publics, du Batiment et de l'Industrie (ESTP), France
- Huchschule Fur Technik und Wirtschaft – University of Applied Sciences, Dresden, Germany
- Technische Universitat Munchen (TUM) Germany
- Voith Hydro, Heidenheim, Germany
- Institute of Engineering, Tribhuvan University, Nepal
- University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka
- Kungliga Tekniska Hogskolan (KTH), Sweden
- Linkoping University (LIU) Sweden
- Lulea Tekniska Universitet (LTU) Sweden
- School of Technology and Architecture, Lucerne, University of Applied Sciences, HTA, Switzerland
- Al Baath University of Syrian Arab Republic
- Cardiff University, Cardiff, United Kingdom
- University of Southampton, Southampton, United Kingdom
- The Ecole Speciale des Travaux Publics, du Batiment et de l'Industrie (ESTP), France
- Huchschule Fur Technik und Wirtschaft – University of Applied Sciences, Dresden, Germany.
- Technische Universitat Munchen (TUM) Germany.
- Kungliga Tekniska Hogskolan (KTH), Sweden.
- School of Technology and Architecture, Lucerne, University of Applied Sciences, HTA, Switzerland.
- Lulea Tekniska Universitet (LTU) Sweden.
- Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Mumbai
- Bhabha Atomic Research Center, Mumbai
- Inter-University Accelerator Center, New Delhi
- G.N.D. University, Amritsar; Delhi University
- Banaras Hindu University
- Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India
- Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Mumbai, India
- National Physical Laboratory, New Delhi, India
- Nuclear Science Center, New Delhi, India
- Defense Metallurgical Research Laboratory Hyderabad
- National Physical Laboratory, New Delhi
- IIT Delhi
- CGCRI Kolkata
- Himalayan Institute Hospital Trust, Dehradun
- Central Power Research Institute, Bangalore
- Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh
- IBM CAS Bangalore
- Hindustan Aeronautics Limited, Accessories Division, Lucknow
- Bengal Engineer Group & Centre, Roorkee
- National Institute of Technical Teacherâ€™s Training and Research, Chandigarh
- Central Building Research Institute Roorkee
- Prama Jyoti Foundation, New Delhi
- India Meteorological Department, New Delhi
- Army Technology Centre, HQ Technical Group EME, Directorate General of EME
Clubs, Committees and Societies:
- Hobbies Club: This Club has different sections like Design Studio, Electronics Fine Arts Gardening, Models and Robotics, Philately, and Numismatics, Photography, Star Gazing and Web Designing for the students.
- U.G. Club: This is a students Club which is a stress buster for the students as it gives a break from the everyday hectic academic schedule. Students can play indoor games. The club also has a TV which is a source of attraction during cricket matches.
- PG Club: IIT Roorkee has just one club that is the Jawahar club which is present inside the hostel premises giving advantage to the students of the hostel avoiding long queues for playing games. The facilities of the club is similar to the facilities provided by U.G Club.
- Alaknanda Club: This Club provides a chance for the students to enjoy games such as pool, billiards, snooker, table tennis, and carrom.
- IMG: Information Management Group works in order to make the digital stay at the campus more and more comfortable.
- Cognizance: This is the Annual Technical Festival of IIT Roorkee which gives a platform for innovation to the engineers across the world.
- Himalayan Explorers' Club: This is the Mountaineering & Trekking Club which conducts all the all mountaineering, trekking and outward bound activities for the students of IIT Roorkee.
- National Cadet Corps: The cadets of NCC are a part of 3 Uttaranchal Composite Technical Regiment.
- National Service Scheme: This Society of IIT Roorkee works for the upliftment and betterment of the society and promotes the spirit of social service amongst students.
- Student's Affairs Council: SAC is an active organisation working for the empowerment of the students as well as represents the diverse student population of campus.
- ShARE: Sharing Analysis of Regional Economies is a non- profit organisation which connects talented students of the campus to global leaders in order to discuss global economic issues.
- Sanskrit Club: This Club of the campus promotes and revives the growth of Sanskrit Language.
- SPIC MACAY: Society for Promotion of Indian Classical Music and Culture amongst Youth works to promote the rich and heterogeneous cultural tapestry amongst the youth and the country.
- Cultural Council: This is a Student Body that conducts cultural events on campus during the year and has seven sections which are Dramatics Section, Choreography Section, Programme Management Section, Audio Section, Light Section, Music Section, Literary Section and Watch Out Kshitij Cinematic Section.
- ChESS: This Society is a student organisation of the Department of Chemical Engineering of I.I.T. Roorkee.
- Civil Engineering Consortium: This is a Committee of Civil Engineering promoting promote a safe and intellectually stimulating learning environment.
- Entrepreneurship Cell: This Cell promotes the spirit of entrepreneurship among students and organises events and activities in this field.
- IEEE: Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers is a non-profit organisation for professional association for the advancement of technology.
- ESS: Electrical Engineering Students' Society is a students organisation for Electrical Engineering students.
- MIESS: Mechanical and Industrial Engineering Students Society is an officially recognised organisation which coordinate between students and department staff.
- Society of Automotive Engineers: This society of IIT Roorkee emphasizes on the practical aspects of engineering.
- ASME: American Society Of Mechanical Engineers works to provide a better insight into technology and exposure to practical work to the students.
- ACM: Association for Computing Machinery is an official student body which fosters the general and scientific interest in students in the area of Computer Science.
- Internal Complaints Committee: ICC is engaged in addressing complaints of sexual harassment of women and empowering them.
- Placement and Internship Cell: This cell is engaged in providing internships to students in various companies and helps in the process of placement conducted on campus.
Browse by Degree
Exams and Cutoffs
- For B.Tech candidates have to pass the Joint Entrance Examination-Advanced (JEE-Advanced).
- For admission, aspirants will have to register for JOSAA where they will have to do the choice filling for the programmes and institute they want to opt for.
- Selection of the candidates will be based on the merit list and the choice filling.
- For B.Arch, students have to qualify the Architecture Aptitude Test (AAT) after qualifying JEE (Advanced).
For M.Sc Courses:
- Candidates have to register and apply online.
- Admissions are made through Joint Admission Test for M.Sc. (JAM)
- Candidates have to register and apply online based on their CAT scores.
- Selection of candidates for GD/Interview will be made on the basis of their performance in CAT Exam.
- Final admission will be based on their aggregate performance in CAT, Personal Interview, Group Discussion and Work Experience.
- 65% weightage will be given to CAT percentile, 20% on interview, 10% on group discussion and 5% on work experience.
For M.Tech/M.Arch./MURP courses:
- Candidates have to register and apply online.
- For M.Tech/M.Arch./MURP courses, candidates will have to register themselves for the GATE Entrance Exam.
- Admission will be made strictly in order of merit
- Full-Time sponsored candidates should have a minimum of 2 years of work experience and will have to take a written exam and appear in an interview round.
For Ph.D Courses:
- Candidates have to register and fill an online application form.
- Candidates have to pass a written test and interview.
Management and Business Administration (M.B.A)
Engineering and Architecture (B.E /B.Tech)
Engineering and Architecture (B.Arch)
- Hostel: The institution has hostels with all amenities such as ac, fridge, internet connection, washing machines, etc. It has girls and boys hostel, it also has hostel for students who are married.
There are 10 boys hostels
- Azad Bhawan
- Cautley Bhawan
- Ganga Bhawan
- Govind Bhawan
- Jawahar Bhawan
- Radhakrishnan Bhawan
- Rajendra Bhawan
- Rajiv Bhawan
- Ravindra Bhawan
- Malviya Bhawan
IIT Roorkee has 3 girls hostels
- Sarojini Bhawan
- Kasturba Bhawan
- Indira Bhawan
The institution has 6 Hostels for Married Couples
- Azad Wingh
- A.N.Khosla House
- Institute Hospital: The institute has a hospital with 50 beds and it also has OPD, emergency and IPD, Laboratory, x-ray & ECG services which can be availed by the faculty, staff and students.
- Banks: Punjab National Bank and the State Bank of India are the two banks inside the campus and that provides all the banking facilities and every student of the Institution should have an account opened with any of these two banks.
- Post Office: The campus has a post office which provides services to the students, faculties as well as the non-residents of the campus.
- AAROHI Child Care Centre: This is a centre for staff welfare which takes care of the children of students/research scholars /employees which provide personal care to the children with the age of 6 months to 10 years with a monthly fee of 3000.
- Railway Reservation Counter: The campus has a computerised railway reservation counter and students also get concessions on tickets during their vacations.
- Places of worship: IIT Roorkee has a number of places of worship such as a temple, church and mosque for students who belong to different religions.
- Hangout Places: The campus has a number of places for students to hang out such as Nescafe, Georgia cafe, Cafe Coffee Day, Saatviko Idea Cafe and night cafes like Shri Balaji Cautley Bhawan Cafe.
- Guest Houses: IIT Roorkee has three guest houses for the visitors and guests coming to visit the campus.
- The names of the guest houses are:
- Khosla International House (KIH)
- N.C. Nigam Visitors' Hostel
- Faculty Home
This is a dream college.
IIT Roorkee .worth getting in here!
Im glad for the exposure the college is providing to the stu
Questions related to IIT Roorkee
I have applied for pg admission 2020 in chemical engineering department in IIT ROORKEE but did not download the application form. Now the login link got expired.How to download my application form for future reference??
Problems like these always find a way into admission procedures and the Colleges and Universities are aware of them and help to solve such problems. I would suggest you to contact them through the proper channel and put forward your queries.
Here are some contacts.
Contact No. +91-1332-284010, 285875
Email Id: firstname.lastname@example.org (mailto:email@example.com)
what should be the rank in jee advance to get computer science in iit roorkee
As the cut-off rank changes every year due to various factors like;Previous years’ cutoff trends, Number of seats in the courses offered by the institute, Number of candidates who appeared for JEE Advanced 2020 and Difficulty level of the entrance examination so it is sometimes hard to predict the rank. So below is the JEE Advanced 2019 Cutoff for IIT Roorkee:
For more information you can visit:
Is IIT ROORKEE better than SPA Delhi for B. Arch looking at better placement and college life prospective?
Though SPA Delhi provides a good environment for B.Arch but from placement's point of view, there are rarely any placements in SPA Delhi as compared to IIT ROORKEE. IIT tag itself plays a major role, for placements. Here you can even get placements with very high packages.
I hope this helps you !
Which iit good for MSc chemistry, iit madras, iit kharagpur or iit roorkee or any other iit? Please tell me till tomorrow.
All the IITS ARE good for msc course and it depends on the subject you want to do msc in, but overall iit kharagpur, iit kanpur and iit roorkee are the best among the all but still if you can tell me the subject I can tell you better.
I hope this help
How to crack IIT roorkee in one year from zero level
Following are some tips for preparing for JEE exam:-
Careers360 presents here Interview with Prof. Pradipta Banerji, who is se....
IIT Roorkee concluded the 13th edition of its Annual technical festival C....
IIT Roorkee is all geared for the thirteenth edition of their Annual tech....
Many students from the first year of Indian Institute of Technology, Roorke....
Careers360 shortlists over 5000 colleges across domains each year. Out of these colleges, only those colleges are rated/ranked which provide transparent data requested by Careers360. The cumulative scores of colleges are then calculated and they are divided into clusters as per their scores. Careers360 ranks private and government colleges separately as the support system of both types of Institutions is completely different.
Rating Methodology: Based on the individual scores secured by colleges in respective parameters the cumulative score of all the colleges ranked is calculated.
Ranking Methodology: The colleges are ranked as per the cumulative score that they have received. The college that has got the maximum cumulative score will be ranked first while the college that has got least cumulative score will be ranked last.
Public/Government Ownership: Institutions that are promoted by the central/state or provincial Government or Government aided agencies.
Private Ownership: Institutes that are promoted by private trusts/Socities/section 8 companies that are not for profits.
In India, a degree can only be delivered by an approved institution and awarded by an institution authorised to do so by an act of parliament or legislature. Approval of institutions can be in the form of affiliation, autonomy, constituent or even approved institution status accorded by a university.
Approval of this College:
Accreditation is a process by which the quality of all the programme is examined and certified normally by an external body of academics in a college. It validates and certifies the academic processes practised within an institute are robust and relevant.
Accreditation of this College: