- Mode: Full time
- Duration: 2 Years
- Offered by: International Institute of Information Technology Bangalore
Master of Science is a unique interdisciplinary post-graduate programme. This is a convergence of information technology and social sciences where students can join from diverse disciplinary backgrounds. The two-year course aims to develop professionals who have a sharp understanding of the digital ecosystem. After the completion of a 4 semester, students will be conferred with IIITB’s master’s degree in Master of Science. The first three semesters of the programme constitute academic coursework. During the fourth semester, a student can either take up an industry internship or academic research at the Institute and continue to write a thesis.
A semester-wise break-up of the course is given below:
Programme Orientation (2 weeks)
• Technical Foundations (to cover programming and database fundamentals)
• Social Science Foundations (to cover some fundamental ideas in social science, reading comprehension and writing practice)
Semester 1 (18 credits, 5 core courses)
• Digital components of a connected society (4 credits)
• Application development, OR, Enterprise software development (2 credits)
• Interface design (4 credits)
• Research methods (Quantitative and Qualitative) (4 credits)
• Technology and society (4 credits)
Semester 2 (16 credits, 3 core courses, 1 elective)
• Technology in development (4 credits)
• ICT Policy and regulation (4 credits)
• Social complexity and systems thinking (4 credits)
• Elective 1 (4 credits)
Semester 3 (16 credits, 4 electives)
• Elective 2-5 (4x4=16 credits)
Semester 4 (16 credits Thesis/Internship)
The following streams are available for students to specialize in:
1. Human-centred digital design
2. Data-intensive digital design
3. Research and policy studies
- Candidates are required to register their application online. The link for online application will be available on the official website of IITB.
- Candidates whose applications are in order will have to take a written examination at IIIT Bangalore.
- The entrance examination will test numerical/quantitative, analytical, and verbal abilities, as well as design, social, and information technology awareness.
- All the shortlisted candidates will have to appear for an interview at IIIT Bangalore.
- In exceptional circumstances, the interviews can also be conducted remotely using a video calling facility, in case the candidates are not able to travel to Bengaluru on the interview date(s). The decision of the Admission Committee on this matter shall be final.
- The candidates who have a valid score in CAT, CEED, CUCET and TISS NET may be exempted from appearing for a written test at IIIT Bangalore.
- The final list of candidates to be admitted will be decided after the interview. The selection will be based on performance in the interview, scores in the written test (or, in one of the four national level entrance tests mentioned above), professional experience and marks obtained in 10th, 12th and Under-graduate/Bachelor’s examinations.
- An undergraduate degree with first division from a recognised university in any discipline including arts, science, commerce, design, management, law, engineering etc.
- Final year students, expecting to graduate by the time of admission may also apply. But in this case, they have to submit their certificates after the declaration of results of the exam.