- Two Tools Tutorial
- Welcome and Introduction
VLSI CAD Part II: Layout
Build acumen in VLSI CAD designing by taking this certification course on VLSI CAD Part II: Layout by Coursera and advance to the next phase in your career.
Medium of instructions English
Mode of learning Self study
Mode of Delivery Video and Text Based
VLSI chip is a modern and complex chip that is often called a remarkable beast. It packs a billion transistors, logic gates employed in millions to compute and control, huge memory blocks, a third party worked, pre-designed functions that come in blocks (IP blocks or Intellectual Property blocks) embedded in the chip. How can you actually design this chip? The sequence of CAD tools that use abstract descriptions provided for the chip which are refined meticulously in steps to come up with a final design.
This course is a second part of the VLSI CAD course called the certification course on VLSI CAD Part II: Layout. The course focuses on the important tools that are used for designing and creating an ASIC (Application Specific Integrated Circuit) or an SoC design process (System of Chip). The main target of this course is to help candidates develop an understanding and better knowledge of the key geometrical and logical representations that make it feasible to map from the logic part to layout and particularly to route, place, to evaluate the perfect timing of the large logic networks.
The VLSI CAD Part II: Layout certificate programme goal is that candidates should be able to utilize and understand the working of tools right at the basic level of its fundamental logic and algorithms and the supporting data structures. The Course is well-curated to include ASIC routing and placement, technology mapping, Analysis of timing involved, etc
- Completely Flexible deadlines
- Self-paced course to suit schedules of working candidates.
- 24 hours of video learning material
- Certificate on completion
- Shareable certificate to LinkedIn profile and resume, etc
- Classes and course material available
- English Subtitles to class videos
- Offered by Illinois
- Self paced online classes
- Video lectures
Course and certificate fees
Type of course
- The VLSI CAD Part II: Layout programme offers the certificate course to candidates at a fee of Rs. 4,394
- This course fee will include the certificate charges which will be given after completion of the course.
- Candidates can choose the free audit option to take the course for free. This is a great way for students to develop an understanding of the subject, however, this mode will not award a certificate.
VLSI CAD Part II: Layout
certificate providing authority
Who it is for
The VLSI CAD Part II: Layout programme is a relevant course that can suit candidates of multi-disciplinary range and impart an understanding of the VLSI field.
The course can be a great help to the following:
- For candidates looking to learn the VLSI CAD tools and related techniques like the Placement, layout and timing, etc to utilise in their designing careers.
- Professionals in the field of designing and CAD software use looking for answers to the complex placement and timing analysis challenges in VLSI.
- Candidates are willing to learn how CAD tools function with VLSI at the basic fundamental and algorithmic level and better utilise the experience of course in their work.
Candidates applying for this programme must have experience in different programming language namely, Python, C++, C, Java, etc
Candidates must also have a basic understanding of algorithms focusing majorly on the recursive algorithms. and data structures.
Candidates should understand finite state machine design, Boolean algebra, gates, Kamps, calculus and linear algebra.
Understanding of RC Linear circuits at an introductory level is a must.
Certification Qualifying Details
The Course on VLSI CAD Part II: Layout awards a certificate to all those candidates who take the complete course and also submit every graded assignment and pass them satisfactorily.
What you will learn
Candidates who complete this programme on VLSI CAD Part II: Layout will have insights on the following topics-
- Working knowledge of ASIC placement, the process, and results in synthesis. Knowledge of using mathematical optimization and an iterative method to do large scale placement tasks in VLSI
- Working with technological mapping. It is a critical step that comes between Layout and Logic. It helps candidates in translating the output of synthesis.
- Develop an understanding of VLSI CAD tools and how to utilize them in your own venture and workplace.
- Using the CAD application to create VLSI designs and hands-on experience in the field by solving assignments and problems that are given out throughout the course.
- Applying all the tools and experience of the emerging field and utilizing it to their advantage.
To take admission in this Course on VLSI CAD Part II: Layout the procedure is extremely simple. Candidates may take these simple steps to register-
Step 1: Go to the homepage of the course and press the ‘Enroll.’ button.
Step 2: Create an account with Coursera by registering with a Google / Facebook account. Existing account holders can just simply log in.
Step 3:Next the candidates can choose to buy the course by clicking enrol and then paying the course fee. Candidates can also choose to audit the course for free. However, Please note that the ‘free audit ‘option doesn’t provide a certificate.
Step 4: Candidates also have the option to choose from a free 7-day trial of Coursera plus, it is the paid version of Coursera. This is a great way to experience the premium benefits before buying.
Step 5: The candidates buying the course will have to pay the course fee from any of the available payment modes on the website.
Step 6: After the course fee payment / enrolling for the free audit course, candidates have access to the video lectures in the course and relevant reading material.
Step 7: Candidates download the videos and reading material to watch at their own pace. They can also reset deadlines in case they lose momentum due to any reason.
- Wirelength Estimation
- Analytical Placement: Quadratic Placement
- Iterative Improvement with Hill Climbing
- Simple Iterative Improvement Placement
- Simulated Annealing Placement
- Analytical Placement: Quadratic Wirelength Model
- Analytical Placement: Recursive Partitioning Example
- Analytical Placement: Recursive Partitioning
- Technology Mapping-Detailed Covering Example
- Technology Mapping-Basics
- Technology Mapping-Tree-ifying the Netlist
- Technology Mapping-Minimum Cost Covering
- Technology Mapping-Recursive Matching
- Technology Mapping as Tree Covering
- Maze Routing: 2-Point Nets in 1 Layer
- From Detailed Routing to Global Routing
- Routing Basics
- Maze Routing: Multi-Point Nets
- Implementation Mechanics: Depth First Search
- Maze Routing: Non-Uniform Grid Costs
- Implementation Mechanics: How Expansion Works
- Maze Routing: Multi-Layer RoutingImplementation Mechanics: Data Structures & Constraints
- Logic-Level Timing: A Detailed Example and the Role of Slack
- Timing: STA Delay Graph, ATs, RATs, and Slacks
- Logic-Level Timing: Basic Assumptions & Models
- Logic-Level Timing: Computing ATs, RATs, Slacks, and Worst PathsLogic-Level
- Interconnect Timing: The Elmore Delay Model
- Interconnect Timing: Electrical Models of Wire Delay
- Interconnect Timing: Elmore Delay Examples
Coursera offers Financial aid to candidates who cannot afford the course fee.
- Candidates can visit the course page and apply for the aid here: https://www.coursera.org/learn/vlsi-cad-layout
- The application may take up to 15 days to be reviewed.
How it helps
The VLSI CAD Part II: Layout course offers one of the most industry-relevant course material and video content in the field of VLSI CAD. A great course for candidates willing to have an understanding of the Physical Design process in the semiconductor industry.
For candidates in the software development field who don’t have much experience and knowledge of the electrical part of the design, this course can throw light on how Boolean logic can be turned into physical hardware. A great way to learn hands-on from the experts who are working in the field of VLSI operations with the knowledge of the practical challenges a designer faces in the real work environment.
The expert-curated assignments provided in the course will push your limits and make you think out of the box. This will provide candidates insights into the proper working and functioning of the VLSI in CAD. The easy presentations and lectures with a flow of knowledge make it easy to grasp for candidates from all the disciplines.
Coursera courses are taken by experts from the industry as well as leading universities in the world. They specialize in their subjects and fields and offer practical solutions and insights into the currently encountered challenges in the field.
Coursera offers a dedicated student forum. Candidates attending the course can interact and discuss subject doubts and queries. They can ask doubts 24x7 for a quick peer-reviewed answer. Coursera offers email support too.
Candidates are required to have programming experience (Python, C++, C, Java, etc). Also an understanding of Algorithms, logic, and data structures. An understanding of Kamps, Boolean algebra, gates, and flip flops, and finite state machine design will be advantageous.
This course on VLSI CAD Part II: Layout is an online course. Candidates can view the lectures at their own time and pace online. The course does not require campus/classroom visits.
Yes. The starting classes are usually the orientation and building blocks of later classes. If the candidates start course material without the base information, it can disturb the proper flow of learning.
The course has 24 hours of online content for candidates to learn from. However, it is up to the candidates and they can take as much time to complete the viewing.
The course material is available to candidates on registration and enrolling for the course They can get instant access to all the course materials, course videos, and assignment files.
For further details on the course or other support related queries about Coursera, candidates can get in touch with a team by Clicking here: https://www.coursera.org/about/contact.
Courses of your interest
The Brochure has been downloaded and sent to your registered email ID successfully.
Brochure has been downloaded.