- Polymorphism and the relationship of parent and child classes
- Calling parent constructor and casting with the super keyword
- Abstract class and interfaces and the use of late binding
- Abstract methods
- Purdue University, West Lafayette
- AP Computer Science A Java Programming Polymorphism and Advanced Data Structures
AP Computer Science A: Java Programming Polymorphism and Advanced Data Structures
This computer science program by Purdue University is aimed at introducing programming basics to students who don’t have it taught in their schools.
Medium of instructions English
Mode of learning Self study, Classroom
Mode of Delivery Video and Text Based
Learning efforts 5-10 Hours Per Week
Computer science programming is an exciting and fulfilling career option. We, at edX, have partnered with Purdue University to bring to you the AP Computer Science A: Java Programming Polymorphism and Advanced Data Structures program in Computer Science that encompasses Java Programming; specifically, the concepts associated with Polymorphism and other advanced data structures
The main strategies covered in the AP Computer Science A: Java Programming Polymorphism and Advanced Data Structures training include but are not limited to Object-Oriented Programming, Abstract classes, keywords, generics, search algorithms, and exceptions. This is taught from the basics by a renowned learning mechanism developed at Purdue University. The teaching methods are exemplary.
The AP Computer Science A: Java Programming Polymorphism and Advanced Data Structures course is for those looking to immerse in the founding principles of Java programming, more-so for those who are current students of the subject and would like a new approach towards learning. This 6-week course requires 5 to 10 hours of input from the candidates for an optimum learning experience.
- Suited for students with basic algebra skills
- Self-paced layout
- Expertise from Purdue University
- Free to audit course. Pay only for optional official certification
- Java programming fundamentals inclusion
- Prudent engagement outcomes
- Run time of 6 weeks
- 5 to 10 hours of weekly effort needed
- The official computer science curriculum
- Corporate packages available
- Official certification pathway
- Programming java footprint
- Flexible learning layout
- Gateway for software students
- Mobile accessible courseware
Course and certificate fees
Type of course
The following fee is applicable for the official certification path of the AP Computer Science A: Java Programming Polymorphism and Advanced Data Structures course
Type of Fee
certificate providing authority
Who it is for
The course on Java Programming with emphasis on Polymorphism and Advanced Data Structures is most suited for students of computer programming who have undertaken Java programming with exposure to loops, classes, and objects.
Students with exposure to basic algebra
What you will learn
The AP Computer Science A: Java Programming Polymorphism and Advanced Data Structures certification is a part of a Computer Science course that will help the students gain the following learnings:
- Basic conceptual knowledge associated with Polymorphism and the underlying relationship between parent and child classes
- Get equipped with calls to the parent constructor and subsequently cast it with relevant keywords with the utilization of late binding
- Application of the protocols that apply to generic exception classes such as Null-Pointer, Arithmetic, Class-Cast, Array index out of bounds, and illegal argument to name a few
- Working fundamentals associated with the similarities and differences between handled and unhandled exceptions and distinct methods to manage them effectively
- Incorporate the throws keywords and profound structures such as Try-Catch to relate to the applications of logical programming paradigm
- Deep dive into comprehending the generics, swaps, insertions, and list references as applied in the Array List classes for optimum performance
- Develop a robust foundation of suitable notations such as the Big-O and the algorithms associated with them to affect linear and binary search
- Equip yourself with key differences between the various sort logics such as selection sort, merge sort, bubble sort, and insertion sort to choose them according to situations
- Put the knowledge of the deep-rooted programming prowess into the creation of Java programs that solve real-world business problems with a near error-free existence.
The admission process for the AP Computer Science A: Java Programming Polymorphism and Advanced Data Structures course is explained in the following steps:
1. Account login phase
The “View Course” option is up-top on the program page. You can click on it to gain access to the program. Please note that you will be required to be logged in for taking this action to its meaningful conclusion. There are one of two ways to get there:
- Existing account: For returning applicants, please log in your existing login credentials.
- New Users: Please create a new edX account by providing basic on-screen information.
2. Once you are logged in, the program will show on your dashboard
3. Track selection phase
Like others, this program too has two distinct tracks to choose from. They are explained as follows:
- The certification track: Should you choose to opt for this track, an official certification from Purdue University will be presented to you, subject to your performance on the official assignments during the course of the program. This certification is a legit achievement for future career progression.
- Audit track: This is the basic enrollment phase, which is free. The program access is limited to a few weeks, and so is the course progress. Choose this if you are looking to sample the program content.
4. Please make a selection from one of the above two options and proceed
5. Payment phase
The third and final stage involves making the payment towards the program fee. This is applicable for mostly one track, and is discussed as follows:
- The audit track attracts no fee. It's only when the candidate intends to upgrade from the free version to unlimited access do fees apply.
- On the other hand, the certification track comes bundled with the fee for the certification, mentioned in a separate section. This can be paid using a credit card. However, edX also accepts payments made through PayPal as well.
- For any of these sections, you can refer to our help section for further support.
Filling the form
The AP Computer Science A: Java Programming Polymorphism and Advanced Data Structures training does not have a generic application form. Please refer to the content of the previous section to enroll.
Unit Name or Timeframe: Polymorphism
Unit Name or Timeframe: Exceptions
- Generic Exception class
- Null-Pointer, Arithmetic, Array-Index-Out-Of-Bounds, Class-Cast, Illegal-Argument
- The try-catch structure
- The throws keyword
- Handled vs unhandled exceptions
Unit Name or Timeframe: Dynamic data structures
- Use List reference and by extension the ArrayList classes
- Traversals, insertions, deletions
- Swap operations
- Bubble sort, Selection sort, Insertion sort and Merge sort
- Binary search and Linear search
- Big-O Notation and algorithm analysis
The Java Programming course with a focus on Polymorphism and Advanced Data Structures does not run a scholarship scheme at the moment.
The AP Computer Science A: Java Programming Polymorphism and Advanced Data Structures certification consist of assignments that are periodically solicited from the students and graded for obtaining a score. Primarily, the assignment types are homework, quizzes, and projects. The following are the minimum grades required:
Homework - 50%
Quizzes - 35%
Projects - 15%
Additionally, the overall score needs to be a minimum of 60%
How it helps
The key benefits are explained as follows:
At edX, we have a thorough selection process for our educational partners, and the Java Programming course is no different. The faculty that is engaged from Purdue University is renowned for their prowess in this field and hold many accolades from students from all over the world. edX is confident that our students will get the best learning experience there is, under their leadership.
Moving on, the other striking feature of our program is the brief study duration of 6 weeks. This has been made possible owing to the amazing subject matter expertise that performs most of the teamwork to design and implement the program subjects in an interesting and non-overwhelming manner. You will find yourself on top of the program by committing 5 to 10 hours per week outside of classes.
Thirdly, the strength of the Information Technology infrastructure at edX is next to none in the industry. This ensures the best up-time of all content and seamless pedigree across all devices i.e. laptops, tablets, and smartphones.
The fee is payable for the certification track at the time of selection by the candidate. This step is necessary to achieve access to the program-ware.
At this moment, the most compatible payment source is a credit card. Alternatively, you may also choose to pay using an American Express card or through PayPal. Internet banking is not accepted.
edX recommends that students keep aside 5 to 10 hours on a weekly basis for maximum engagement from this program. This is apart from the program run time.
Yes, absolutely. This program has Java Programming and its concepts at its very core and you will have an enthralling learning experience.
The program has real-world business problem statements built into its pedagogy and is routinely solved with the concepts of programming taught along the way.
edX strongly urges that applicants be familiar with basic Java programming syntax and logical progression before joining this program.
At edX, we have developed the idea of discussion portals to be mutually beneficial for the students and the institution. We look forward to having you there.
There is no entrance exam for this program. Thus, this question does not apply.
Very. Although not much is expected in terms of the depth of knowledge that one possesses, it is worthwhile to have the background to make the most of it.
Programming is one of the fastest-growing skill-sets in demand from a plethora of industries. Thus, a good performance here can go a long way in securing a stable career.
StackRoute via NIIT
LearnQuest via Coursera
Purdue University, West Lafayette via Edx
Purdue University, West Lafayette via Edx
Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Hong Kong via Edx
Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Hong Kong via Edx
Duke University, Durham via Coursera