WHAT IS BUILDING AND CONSTRUCTION ENGINEERING ?
Building and Construction Engineering deals with designing, planning, construction and management of infrastructure. It would include buildings, roads, bridges, dams, roads, railways etc. The course combines some aspects of Civil Engineering as well as that of Construction Management. The 4-year program earns you a B.Tech or B.E in Building and Construction Engineering. The major difference between Civil Engineering and Construction Engineering is that the former concentrates more on the design work, gearing students towards a career as a design professional. This essentially requires them to take a multitude of construction design courses. It also allows them to understand both the design functions as well as the building requirements needed to design and build structures. One can pursue M.Tech in Building and Construction Engineering after successful completion of undergraduate studies.Expand
- For UG: Candidates must have passed 10+2 with minimum qualifying marks in aggregate with Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics as core subjects. Independent entrance tests for this programme are also held by the various state, central, and private universities which mostly require 50% as the prerequisite to appear for the test.
- For PG: Candidates must hold a degree in Bachelor of Engineering/B.Tech in Building and Construction Engineering/Civil Engineering along with a good score in entrance tests held for PG programme held by the various state, central, and private universities.
SCOPE OF BUILDING AND CONSTRUCTION ENGINEERING
- Construction engineers hold supervisory or administrative positions ranging from supervisor of a construction site to the city engineer, public works director, and city manager.
- Graduates and postgraduates work as structural engineers who design and assess major projects, such as the construction of buildings, bridges, or dams, to ensure their strength and durability.
- As transportation engineers, they plan, design, operate and maintain everyday systems, such as streets and highways.
- Building and Construction Engineers are often hired as Division Head, Project Manager, Supervisory Engineer, Consultants, Director of Public Works, and Quality Analysts.
- Building and Town Planning
- Building Construction Materials
- Concrete Technology
- Construction and Project Management
- Construction Management
- Construction methods and equipment
- Construction planning and control
- Creativity and Innovation
- Earthquake Engineering
- Foundation Engineering