Tamil Nadu Veterinary and Animal Sciences University is a public veterinary university located in Madhavaram, Tamil Nadu. Starting as a agricultural school, TANUVAS has it existence from the year 1876, in 1989 it was granted the university status by the Government of Tamil Nadu making it the first veterinary university in Asia. TANUVAS offers various undergraduate and postgraduate programmes in veterinary science, food technology, poultry technology and dairy technology. The university also offers MBA, Msc programmes in biotechnology & bioinformatics. TANUVAS has been recognised by University Grant Commission (UGC) and has been approved by All India Council of Technical Education.
TANUVAS is located at Madhavaram Milk Colony Road, Chennai, Tamil Nadu. Puratchi Thalaivar Dr. M.G. Ramachandran Central Railway Station located 12.3 km away from TANUVAS. Chennai International Airport is located 27.9 km away from the university. Madhavaram New Bus Depot is the nearby bus depot located 4.1 km away from TANUVAS.
TANUVAS Chennai is Accredited by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC)
- Michigan State University, Lansing, USA
- Virginia Maryland Regional College of Veterinary medicine, Virginia Tech University, USA
- The University of Nebraska, Lincoln, USA
- Auburn University, College of Agriculture, Alabama, USA
- University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona, USA
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (Virginia Tech), Virginia, USA
- Guangdong Ocean University, Guangdong, China; Bogor Agricultural University, Indonesia; Bangladesh Agricultural University, Mymensing, Bangladesh; Institute of Agriculture and Animal Science (IAAS), Chitwan, Nepal
- University of Cantabria, Spain
- Agri-Food and Biosciences Institute, Belfast
- Ghent University, Belgium
- Wakeforest University Health Sciences, North Carolina
- Universitat Autonoma De Barcelona, Spain
- Loma Linda University, Loma Linda California, USA
- University of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
- University of Nottingham, UK
- Chittagong Veterinary and Animal Sciences University, Chittagong, Bangladesh
- Washington State University, Washington, USA
- Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, USA
- RVS of Indian Army for skill development training for clinical subjects (MoU)
- Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority (APEDA), New Delhi (MoU)
- National Meat & Poultry Processing Board, New Delhi (MoU)
- National Research and Development Corporation, New Delhi (MoA)
- Laboratory Animal Scientist Association (LASA) and National Institute of Animal welfare/Committee (NIAW) to offer FELASA "C" type training to Veterinarians (MoU)
- Commonwealth of Veterinary Association, Bangalore (MoU)
- Entrepreneurship Development Institute, Chennai (MoU)
- Sri Ramachandra University, Porur, Chennai (MoU)
- National Institute of Animal Welfare, Haryana (MoU)
- National Research Centre on Meats, Hyderabad (MoU)
- K.J. Research Foundation, Chennai (MoU)
- Central Council for Research in Siddha, Govt. of India (MoU)
- Central Institute of Brackishwater Aquaculture, Chennai (MoU)
- National Institute for Animal Nutrition and Physiology, Bengaluru (MoU)
- Agriculture Skill Council of India, Haryana (MoU)
- Indira Gandhi National Open University (MoU)
- M/s/ Globion India Pvt. Ltd. Secunderabad
- M/s. Ega tools and Instruments, Chennai
- M/s. Biovet Pvt. Ltd., Bangalore
- M/s. Fort Pharma, Chennai
- M/s. Medox Biotech India Pvt. Ltd.,
- M/s. Mediclone Biotech Pvt. Ltd., Chennai
- MOU signed jointly by TANUVAS and ICAR with Indian Immunologicals Ltd. Hyderabad and M/s. Biovet Pvt. Ltd. Bangalore (MoU)
- Royal swine Genetics, Coimbatore (MoU)
- Orchid Research Laboratories, Chennai (MoU)
- Carbon Neutrals Energy Pvt. Ltd., Andhra Pradesh (MoA)
- Sanvita Biotechnologicals Pvt. Ltd., Hyderabad (MoU)
- Pfizers Pharmaceutical India Pvt. Ltd., Mumbai (MoU)
- Kemin Industries South Asia Pvt. Ltd. (MoU)
- Charoen Pokphand Foods India Pvt. Ltd. (MoU)
- M/s.Endhiram Innovations LLP, Chennai
- M/s. Hester Biosciences Ltd. Gujarat
- M/s. Genomix Healthcare India Pvt.Ltd., Hyderabad
- M/s. Venkateswara Hatcheries Ltd., Pune
- M/s. Genome Life sciences,
- M/s. Brilliant Bio-Pharma Ltd. Hyderabad
- M/s. Brilliant Bio-Pharma Ltd. Hyderabad
Colleges and Departments
Find the list of Constituent, Affiliated Colleges, & Departments
Tamil Nadu Veterinary and Animal Sciences University Admission
Tamil Nadu Veterinary and Animal Sciences University (TANUVAS) offers various undergraduate, postgraduate and doctoral programmes in the field of veterinary, poultry technology food technology and dairy technology. Admission to various courses offered by TANUVAS is offered on the basis of merit and through entrance examination. For undergraduate courses (B.V.Sc, B.Tech & A.H). Admission will be done on the basis of merit as per the marks obtained by the candidates in their qualifying examination. For admission to postgraduate courses, candidates have to appear in the entrance examination conducted by the university after which the eligible/qualified candidates have to appear for the counselling process. Admission to PhD programmes is also offered through entrance examination after which a merit list of the qualified candidates is prepared which has weightage from the entrance exam, academic record, work experience and other parameters. The admission process to various courses offered by TANUVAS are listed below step-by-step:
- Admission to various undergraduate courses offered by TANUVAS (B.V.Sc, B.Tech & A.H) will be done on merit basis as per the marks obtained by the candidates in the qualifying examination.
- Candidates have to apply for the courses through an online application process. The application form will be available on the official website and can be submitted in online mode only.
- A merit list of candidates will be prepared by the universities on the basis of marks obtained in the qualifying examination. For the candidates who are passed out from any other board apart from the State Board of Tamil Nadu, their marks will be normalised.
- Selected candidates have to make fee payment and have to register for the courses within seven working days after the date of commencement of registration.
- Candidates have to apply for the postgraduate programmes through an online application process.
- Registered candidates have to appear for the entrance examination conducted by the university.
- A merit list of candidates will be prepared to have equal weightage from score obtained in entrance examination and marks obtained in the qualifying examination. The score obtained for any candidates in the merit list calculated out of 200. Any candidate who has secured less than 50% of the total marks will not be considered eligible for further admission process.
- Eligible candidates have to appear for the counselling process.
- Selection of candidates will be based on the merit list and choices made by them in the counselling process.
- Candidates have to apply for the programme. The application form will be available on the official website of the university.
- Registered candidates have to appear for the entrance examination.
- A merit list will be prepared based on the given criteria:
OGPA / Marks in PG Degree
- Candidates have to appear for the counselling process.
- Selection of the candidates will be made on the basis of merit list and choices made by them during counselling.
Medicine and Allied Sciences (B.V.Sc.)
Infrastructure and Facilities
Tamil Nadu Veterinary and Animal Sciences University has adequate infrastructure that helps in the smooth functioning of the college. The library has a vast collection of all the books, journals, etc students spend their free time at the library and enhance their knowledge. The computer centre of TANUVAS provides wifi facilities allow the students to get easy access to the internet at any point in time and all the computational needs of the students and the teaching staff is fulfilled by the computer centre. Every department has its own laboratories that have all the necessary equipment and the instruments that is used during the practical lectures. The institute can accommodate up to 750 students and there are 4 hostel blocks for boys and 2 blocks for girls and the hostels have all the necessary facilities for the students.
Library: Well established library is present on the campus of TANUVAS. The library has a vast collection of all the books and journals related to various topics of studies. The library also has access to various e-resources.
Computer Centre: A computer centre is present within the campus along with wifi facilities enabled in the various region at the campus which allow the students easy access to the internet at any point in time.
Laboratories: Well established laboratories are present with each department of TANUVAS. The laboratories have well-sophisticated equipment present for the students to complete the practical requirement of their studies.
Hostels: TANUVAS has 4 hostel block for boys and 2 blocks for girls. The hostel provides all the utilities like food, reading room, canteen and internet connectivity (Wi-Fi). The hostels on a total can accommodate up to 750 students.
Medical Facilities: Part-time medical officers use to visit hostels on a weekly basis to provide medical assistance to the student who is in a need of it.
Careers360 shortlists over 5000 colleges across domains each year. Out of these colleges, only those colleges are rated/ranked which provide transparent data requested by Careers360. The cumulative scores of colleges are then calculated and they are divided into clusters as per their scores. Careers360 ranks private and government colleges separately as the support system of both types of Institutions is completely different.
Rating Methodology: Based on the individual scores secured by colleges in respective parameters the cumulative score of all the colleges ranked is calculated.
Ranking Methodology: The colleges are ranked as per the cumulative score that they have received. The college that has got the maximum cumulative score will be ranked first while the college that has got least cumulative score will be ranked last.
Public/Government Ownership: Institutions that are promoted by the central/state or provincial Government or Government aided agencies.
Private Ownership: Institutes that are promoted by private trusts/Socities/section 8 companies that are not for profits.
In India, a degree can only be delivered by an approved institution and awarded by an institution authorised to do so by an act of parliament or legislature. Approval of institutions can be in the form of affiliation, autonomy, constituent or even approved institution status accorded by a university.
Approval of this College:
UGC - University Grants Commission
Accreditation is a process by which the quality of all the programme is examined and certified normally by an external body of academics in a college. It validates and certifies the academic processes practised within an institute are robust and relevant.
Accreditation of this College: