- Mode: Full time
- Duration: 3 Years
Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) is an offered Full-time three/six-year Doctoral program and it is offered by Patna University, Patna. Ph.D. program shall be for a minimum duration of three years, including course work and a maximum of six years. Extension beyond the above limits will be governed by the relevant clauses as stipulated in the Statute/Ordinance of the individual Institution concerned.
The procedure for admission to Ph.D. programme in different departments would be overall governed by the UGC regulation 2016. There would be two streams of applicants, namely (i) Those coming through a Ph.D. Admission Test to be conducted by Patna University and termed as PAT and (ii) those exempted from PAT (ref: cl.5). All such candidates would be pooled together and have to appear before an interview board. The final selection of both the categories of candidates in the Ph.D. programme would be based on the performance of candidates in the interview as well as on the basis of marks obtained in PAT.
Ph.D. programme through distance education mode is not allowed by the Patna University.
- Stream I: Procedure for Entry Through PAT
- This category of applicants has to appear in the PAT organized by Patna University.
- The applicants who have qualified the PAT would be required to appear before an interview board, approved by the Vice Chancellor with the respective Head of Department being the Chairperson. The Interview board would consist of (i) Head of the Department, (ii)Two Professors (by seniority and rotation every year) (iii) one external subject expert nominated by the Vice-Chancellor (iv) one representative of SC/ST and/ OREBC/OBC category each (in case, the panel does not already have an expert of the category).
- The selection of the candidates will be carried out on the basis of marks obtained in PAT and interview combined together.
- The PAT is a written test comprising two papers of 100 marks each. Paper-I will consist of multiple choice questions on qualitative, teaching and research aptitude. The paper II will be subjective type in the subject concerned based on the syllabus of the Post Graduate courses of the Patna University.
- The minimum qualifying marks will be as follows:
- For General candidates- 50% aggregate marks
- For Reserved category candidates- 45% aggregate marks
- The result of PAT will be valid for two years after the declaration of result.
- Stream II: Procedure For Entry with exemption from the PAT
- This stream of applicants will come through having an exemption from the PAT as per provisions made under clause 5 of this ordinance and would directly appear in the interview.
- Candidates for admission to the Ph.D. programme shall have a Master's degree with at least 55% marks in aggregate or its equivalent grade 'B' in the UGC 7-point scale (or an equivalent grade in a point scale wherever grading system is followed).
- A relaxation of 5% of marks, from 55% to 50%, or an equivalent relaxation of grade, will be allowed for those belonging to SC/ST/EBC/OBC/Differently-abled categories of candidates.
- A candidate shall ordinarily be permitted to pursue research for the Ph.D. degree in the subject in which he/she holds Master’s degree.