- Mode: Full time
- Duration: 6 Years
Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in Chemical Engineering shall be for a minimum duration of three years, including coursework and a maximum of six years. Extension beyond the above limits will be governed by the relevant clauses as stipulated in the Statute/Ordinance of the individual Institution concerned and course offered by RK University, Rajkot.
All Ph.D. applicants need to submit the required documents and appear for RK University’s Research Aptitude Test (RAT) and committee interview. The no. of available seats in the Ph.D. program (and the available Ph.D. supervisors’ research specializations) would be clearly mentioned in the admission notification published every year (well in advance) before the scheduled entrance test and interview. Candidates who have cleared GATE/NET/SLET/GPAT or an equivalent examination are not required to appear for RAT (however, they do need to appear for the committee interview), provided the (aforementioned) exam. scores continue to remain valid on the day RKU conducts it’s own entrance test/interview.
RKU’S RESEARCH APTITUDE TEST:
- Question paper – 100 multiple choice questions.
- Maximum marks – 100.
- Time duration – 120 minutes.
- The question paper will have 2 sections
- Section 1 – Questions on Research Methodology – 50 marks.
- Section 2 – Subject-specific questions – 50 marks
- Each question will have multiple choices (e.g., (a) (b) (c), and (d)).
- Each correct answer will carry 1 mark.
RAT examination will be followed by a personal interview of each candidate to evaluate the research aptitude and skills of the candidate. Hence, all Ph.D. candidates are advised to prepare a temporary research proposal and present the same before the Admission Committee at the time of interview. It would be desirable if the research proposal presented at the time of interview is finally adopted for doctoral work; but if a candidate so desires, he/she will be allowed to take on a different research project for their doctoral study after admission to the Ph.D. program. Candidates should bring a soft copy of their presentation in a pen drive and hard copy for submission. Candidates should bring along research papers and documents related to research grants, funding schemes, awards, honors or any other credit certificates, etc. for producing the same during the interview.
Overall selection criteria for admission will be based on RAT result (40% weightage) and interview performance (60% weight). The RAT and interview results will generally be declared within 15 days of conducting the entrance test and candidate interviews. The Ph.D. guides will be allocated to selected candidates by ‘Guide Allocation Committee’ of RK University, at the time of orientation program. Only full-time Ph.D. guides (in the employment of RK University) shall be allocated to the selected candidates.
Admission to the Ph.D. program will be confirmed by the university on receipt of a signed guide consent form, 1st-year fees, NOC from a current employer, place of work permission, verification of original documents, etc.
- Prospective candidates must possess a post-graduate (Master’s) degree (full-time course from a UGC-recognized university or institute) or equivalent (as certified by a Government authority such as AICTE, UGC, or AIU) with at least 55% marks or an equivalent CGPA (50% marks or an equivalent CGPA for SC/ST/OBC/DA candidates). The degree must have been awarded be as per the norms approved by the concerned regulatory authority, empowered by the Government of India. If the degree has been obtained from a foreign country, the candidate will have to submit an equivalence certificate, certifying that the awarded degree is equivalent to a full-time course of a recognized Indian university. Such an equivalence certificate needs to be issued by a competent authority of the Government of India (e.g., AICTE, UGC, or AIU).
- However, for the Faculty of Technology, candidates with a First Class Bachelor’s degree (B.E. /B. Tech or equivalent) in a related field and with 10 years of full-time R&D work experience in a research organization/institute will also be considered eligible. The final eligibility of all such candidates will be decided by the Provost (Vice-Chancellor).
- Candidates who have cleared GATE/NET/SLET/GPAT or an equivalent examination are not required to appear for RAT (however, they do need to appear for the committee interview), provided the (aforementioned) exam. scores continue to remain valid on the day RKU conducts it’s own entrance test/interview.
- Prospective applicants pursuing their Master’s degrees may also appear for RKU’s RAT (and/or for the interview), only if they are confident about obtaining their provisional degree certificates before the scheduled Ph.D. Orientation Program. In accordance with the UGC guidelines, we can only offer Ph.D. admission letters to those students who have a provisional degree certificate in hand on the day of the Ph.D. Orientation Program (when we draft the dated admission letters).