About Surendranath Law College, Kolkata
Surendranath Law College, Kolkata was established in the year 1885. The institute was formerly known as Ripon College. The college is also abbreviated as SN Law College. The institute was renamed to Surendranath Law College, Kolkata to commemorate Sir Surendranath who was the founder of the institution. SN Law College is affiliated to Calcutta University and it got its affiliation in the year 1885. Harendra Kumar Mukherjee, the first Governor of West Bengal, Dr. Rajendra Prasad the first President of India, Justice Bijan Kumar, Mukherjee, the first Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of India, etc are some of the eminent alumni of the college. Surendranath Law College, Kolkata offers 5 years B.A. LL.B., B.A. LL.B. (Hons.) and LL.M. to the students.
Surendranath Law College is located at 24/2, Mahatma Gandhi Rd, Sealdah, Baithakkhana, Kolkata in West Bengal. Sealdah is around 0.5 km away from SN Law College. Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose International Airport is around 18 km away and Raja Bazar Tram Depot is approx 2 km away from Surendranath Law College, Kolkata. Students can hire a taxi or take an auto-rickshaw to reach there.
Clubs, Committees and Societies
- Debate and Quiz Club: The Debate and Quiz Club is for debaters and inquisitive students who have good oratory skills and are interested in debates and discussions and they also participate in various quizzes.
- Sports Club: This Club of SN Law College promotes sports and encourages students to actively participate in various sports programmes and activities conducted by them.
- Student Committee: This Committee of Surendranath Law College, Kolkata is a student-driven committee that acts as a link between the Student community and the administration and helps in enhancing the academic and cultural lives of the students.
Courses & Fees
Surendranath Law College, Kolkata Admission
Surendranath Law College, Kolkata offers 5 years B.A. LL.B., B.A. LL.B. (Hons.) and LL.M. to the students. Admission to B.A. LL.B. (Hons.) is offered on the basis of marks obtained in the qualifying exam. Admission to LL.M/5 year B.A.LL.B is offered by SN Law College on the basis of Common Admission Test conducted by the University of Calcutta and participation in the counselling process. Institute level document verification and fee payment is a mandatory requirement for admission and admission is confirmed only if both these things are done successfully. Surendranath Law College, Kolkata admission process is given below in details.
B.A. LL.B. (Hons.)
- Candidates desirous to take admission into B.A. LL.B. (Hons.) course of SN Law College Kolkata has to firstly apply online on the website of Surendranath Law College, Kolkata.
- Admission will be based on the merit of the qualifying examination and candidates will be shortlisted accordingly.
- Shortlisted candidates have to participate in the institute level document verification and fee payment.
- Admission will be finalised on the basis of merit of the qualifying examination, institute level document verification and fee payment.
LL.M/5 year B.A.LL.B
- Candidates aspiring to take admission into LL.M/ 5 year B.A.LL.B course have to appear for Common Admission Test conducted by the University of Calcutta.
- Based on the marks secured in the test, a merit list will be published in order to shortlist the qualifying candidates.
- Shortlisted candidates have to participate in the university level counselling process and get the documents verified.
- After the seat allotment, candidates have to submit an application to Surendranath Law College, Kolkata along with all the necessary documents and pay the fees after the documents get verified.
- Final admission is based on the marks obtained in Common Admission Test, participation in the counselling process, document verification and fee payment.
Surendranath Law College, Kolkata has a well-developed infrastructure. It has a library that has a rich collection of books and also has audiovisual material like video cassettes and CD ROM’s. In order to support academic research, SN Law College has a separate research lab. The institution also has a Moot Court Room that helps in practising advocacy. The infrastructure and facilities of Surendranath Law College, Kolkata are listed below:
- Library - Surendranath Law College, Kolkata has a library that has a variety of books, magazines, journals, etc along with audiovisual material like video cassettes and CD ROM’s, etc.
- E-Resource Centre - SN Law College has an E-Resource Centre that caters to the computational requirement of the faculty as well as the students.
- Auditorium - The institute has an auditorium with a seating capacity of 500 students. The auditorium is used in organising various events, workshops, seminars, etc.
- Conference Room - The conference room of Surendranath Law College, Kolkata is used to conduct seminars, workshops and conference by eminent personalities.
- Moot Court Room - SN Law College has a well equipped Moot Court Room that is used to practice advocacy by the students.
- Research Cell - The Research Cell of Surendranath Law College, Kolkata is used for academic research work by the faculty and the students and it is well equipped with computers.
- Legal Aid Clinic - Legal Aid Clinic works for a noble cause and provides legal help to economically backward classes and the minority communities of the society.
Questions related to Surendranath Law College, Kolkata
What is the entrance exam process and what is the syllabus of the entrance exam for BA.LLB course in Surendranath law college?
Dear Aspirants ,
Transparency is ensured in every aspect of the admission process. Common Admission Test has conducted the University of Calcutta. Minimum marks for LLB admission is 45% for General 40% for S.C & S.T. in10+2.After qualifying the test, counselling process takes place and students get admission based on seat allotment. Eligibility criteria has to be passed by all students before opting for the course according to the university guidelines which is followed by the institution. Committee for admission probe the applications received and examines the supporting documents, eligibility, reviews merit list and shortlist the applicants and then the students are provided with admission .
What type entrance exam is take? please tell me in detais
what is the procedure for admission in llb course
I'll tell you about the eligibility criteria first..
- Your graduation must have been completed.
- Minimum 45% marks in graduation are required for general category and 40% for reserved categories.
- There is also a criterion for minimum marks required in graduation which may vary from institute to institute.
- There is no age limit for taking admission in this course.
Llb entrance is also done by the marks obtained while some institutions also have their own entrance tests. Students from final year can also apply for the same course.
There are various entrance tests conducted for LLB admission in India. On the other hand, candidates also get direct admission into the same.
can I do ba llb from distance what are the procedures pls answer
No,you can't pursue LLB course from distance learning mode as BAR council of India doesn't recognise the law learned from distance leaning mode.If any law College offering you sane course through distance learning mode then you should aware about that College whether it is recognised or not..
Location & Map
Careers360 shortlists over 5000 colleges across domains each year. Out of these colleges, only those colleges are rated/ranked which provide transparent data requested by Careers360. The cumulative scores of colleges are then calculated and they are divided into clusters as per their scores. Careers360 ranks private and government colleges separately as the support system of both types of Institutions is completely different.
Rating Methodology: Based on the individual scores secured by colleges in respective parameters the cumulative score of all the colleges ranked is calculated.
Ranking Methodology: The colleges are ranked as per the cumulative score that they have received. The college that has got the maximum cumulative score will be ranked first while the college that has got least cumulative score will be ranked last.
Public/Government Ownership: Institutions that are promoted by the central/state or provincial Government or Government aided agencies.
Private Ownership: Institutes that are promoted by private trusts/Socities/section 8 companies that are not for profits.
In India, a degree can only be delivered by an approved institution and awarded by an institution authorised to do so by an act of parliament or legislature. Approval of institutions can be in the form of affiliation, autonomy, constituent or even approved institution status accorded by a university.
Approval of this College:
Accreditation is a process by which the quality of all the programme is examined and certified normally by an external body of academics in a college. It validates and certifies the academic processes practised within an institute are robust and relevant.
Accreditation of this College: