About Gauhati University
Gauhati University (GU), Guwahati was established in the year 1948. The State Legislature of Assam passed the Gauhati University Act, 1947 on 15 October, 1947 to establish GU. The campus spreads over 650 acres of land. The university is approved by the All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE). GU offers undergraduate (B.Tech), postgraduate (M.Tech, M.Sc, LLM, MBA) and research (M.Phil, Ph.D) courses in various areas.
GU is located at Jalukbari, Guwahati, Assam. Kamakhya Junction Railway Station is 8 km away and Adabari Bus Stand is 4.6 km away from the university. Lokpriya Gopinath Bordoloi International Airport is 10.9 km away and it will take around 18 minutes to reach the institute. Students can take a bus or a cab to reach Gauhati University. GU is well connected with roads, railways, and airways.
Accreditations and Collaborations:
- GU is accredited by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC).
- Burdwan University
- Indira Gandhi National Centre for the Arts
- National Bureau of Fish Genetic Resources (NBFGR)
- Assam Don Bosco University
- E & ICT Academy, IIT Guwahati
- Better Tomorrow Technologies, Guwahati
- L K Tea Company Pvt. Limited, Assam
- Molecular Diagnostics & Research Laboratories (MDRL) Pvt. Limited Chandigarh
- Repose Foods Pvt. Limited, Guwahati
- Vet Helpline India Pvt. Limited, Guwahati
- Axis Bank Ltd., Mumbai
- Public Health Engineering Dept., Govt of Assam, Guwahati
- Society for Applied Microwave Electronics Engineering and Research (SAMEER), Mumbai
- Office of the Director of Census Operation, Govt. of India, India
- Department of Biotechnology, Govt. of India, New Delhi
- Department of Biotechnology, Ministry of Science and Technology, Govt. of India, New Delhi
- Department of Science & Technology, Govt. of India, New Delhi
- Oil India Limited, Assam
- Reliance Jio Infocomm Limited, Maharashtra
- National University of Laos
- Blizard Institute, London, UK
- Kunming Institute of Botany, Kunming, China
- Kunming University of Science and Technology, Kunming, China
- Stefan Meyer Institute of the Austria Academy of Sciences, Vienna, Austria
- University of Greenwich, Kent, United Kingdom
- University of the West of Scotland, Scotland, United Kingdom
- Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden
- Kagawa University, Japan
- University of Naples, Italy
- Plant Genome Research Institute, Chungnam National University, Republic of Korea
- Sherubtse College, Kanglung, Bhutan
- Commonwealth of Learning (COL), Canada
Clubs, Committees and Societies:
- National Service Scheme (NSS): It creates social awareness and imparts human values in students and creates a spirit of social service amongst them.
- National Cadet Corps (NCC): NCC encourages the cadets (boys and girls) to join the defense forces and to be the disciplined citizens of the country.
Gauhati University Highlights
Gauhati University Courses & Fees
Gauhati University Admissions 2021
Gauhati University offers admission to various undergraduate, postgraduate and research courses. Admission to undergraduate course is done through CEE counselling conducted by the DTE of Assam while for postgraduate courses, candidates have to appear for the entrance test conducted by the university. The detailed admission processes to all courses are given below:
Gauhati University Placements
Engineering and Architecture (B.E /B.Tech)
Gauhati University Exams and Cutoffs
Gauhati University Student Reviews
Gauhati University Department of Communication
Joined On: 06 Feb' 17
Education Interest: n/a
- Batch of 2017
- MA Mass Communication
Sanskrit sanskriti is the nation
Sanskrit : the sanskriti of our nation
History - the best department of GU
Gauhati University Facilities
Gauhati University provides various amenities and infrastructure for the students and the faculty such as separate hostel for boys and girls, library with a collection of books, canteen to serve food to the students and faculty, transportation for day scholars, sports, medical facility for any emergencies an illness, computing facility to provide practical training to the students, etc. Other facilities like ICT centre, post office, stationery shop, ATM, internet, etc are also available for them.
- Boys Hostel
- Girls Hostel
- IT Infrastructure
- Alumni Associations
This College is accredited by NAAC A (National Assessment and Accreditation Council) validity is 15 Aug 2023 and the score is 3.04 .
Gauhati University Gallery
Gauhati University Colleges and Departments
Find the list of Constituent, Affiliated Colleges, & Departments
Questions related to Gauhati University
When Msc Zoology entrance exam will be held of gauhati university? Plz inform me the date .
Guwahai University is not conducting any entrance exam for post graduate admissions, the admission would be done on merit basis. candidates needed to fill out the university admissio application form by the deadline, and now the counselling procedure will start from 22nd december 2020. And some of the merit lists for post graduate programmes has also been released. For more info, visit here:
I want to apply in msc in biotechnology but I have some problem in applying application form the last option that is course applied for I am not getting my dept which I want to apply only three courses are coming in my screen that is MA MLB and MTM please help me out
Yes i am also facing the same problem. Have you applied to the course now?
what is the date for b.ed admission in guwahati university in 2020
Eligibility for BEd in Guwahati University is passed Bachelor's Degree/Master's Degree or equivalent in any discipline from a recognized university wih 50% aggregate, there's relaxation of 5% in case of reserved categories such as SC/ST/OBC. Application process is to be commenced from today, 15th July but as of now no updates has been provided in the official website.So, stay updated at gauhati.ac.in for more details regarding this.
You can als follow our page at https://university.careers360.com/articles/gauhati-university-admission
is there any entrance exam required for admission in mba 2020 in Guwahati University
Any information for mark entry
i needed all the details about zoology for msc and when would be admission form fillup conducted
the application form of gauhati university is likely to be released in second week of june 2020 and the last date to submit the application form is to notified soon and the eligibility criteria for the same is as follows
1. candidate require a B.S.c degree under the 10+2+3 pattern with a major/hons in the concerned subject or
2. candidate with a B.com (//B.com) degree under the 10+2+3 pattern with a minimum of 40%marks or an equivalent CGPA in the general course are also eligible
3. 45 percent marks will be calculated like this - marks secured in part 1 and 2 for course in 2+1 pattern and on the basis of marks obtained in part 1,2 and 3 if under 1+1+1 pattern
hope this helps!
Gauhati University Notable Alumni
Gauhati University Related Articles
Gauhati University Latest News
New Delhi: Gauhati University has released the Gauhati University PG 2020 a....
NEW DELHI: Gauhati University has decided to do away with the postgraduate ....
Gauhati University Location & Map
Careers360 shortlists over 5000 colleges across domains each year. Out of these colleges, only those colleges are rated/ranked which provide transparent data requested by Careers360. The cumulative scores of colleges are then calculated and they are divided into clusters as per their scores. Careers360 ranks private and government colleges separately as the support system of both types of Institutions is completely different.
Rating Methodology: Based on the individual scores secured by colleges in respective parameters the cumulative score of all the colleges ranked is calculated.
Ranking Methodology: The colleges are ranked as per the cumulative score that they have received. The college that has got the maximum cumulative score will be ranked first while the college that has got least cumulative score will be ranked last.
The university has 11 Boys' Hostels on campus. The hostels run their own mess through a residents’ committee, which operates on a no-loss-no-profit basis.
The university has 12 Girls' Hostels on campus. The hostels run their own mess through a residents’ committee, which operates on a no-loss-no-profit basis.
The Gauhati University Hospital provides basic primary health care. The hospital provides round the clock health services to the patients with limited facilities.
The library is equipped with all kinds of books and journals, and has well lighted study areas. Currently, the library holdings are around 2.7 lakh books, around 35 thousand bound periodicals, around 3700 theses, 5600 dissertations, 4500 manuscripts.
The sports facilities available may be classified into four main categories: (i) Indoor facility consisting of 1 Indoor Sports hall with playing area 22× 15 sq. meters and 1 Table Tennis Indoor Stadium of 12× 10 sq. meters. (ii) Outdoor facilities consist of: (a) Playground:The University has 2 playgrounds for football and cricket with size of the playground120× 120 sq. meters and 100× 80 sq. meters respectively. (b) Basketball court: There are 3 Basketball courts with Outdoor court standard size. (c) Volleyball court: There are 2 Volleyball courts Outdoor court standard size.
Around 27 computer labs are there across all the departments in the University.
There are 4 major canteens inside the campus, which provides healthy and good quality food.
The university has well equipped centrally AC Auditorium,
Many parts of the campus (including departments, hostels and administrative buildings) are WIFI enabled.
The University provides the facility of a bus service to the students, staff and teachers. It is free of cost for the staff and teachers and a very nominal fare is charged from the students which are included in the utility fees paid by them.
There is one central gymnasium(for Boys) of size 14 × 10 sq. meters and one mini gym (for Girls) of size 6× 5 sq. meters . Boys’ Gymnasium was established in 2006 and Girls’ Gymnasium in 2016.
Gauhati University Alumni Association (GUAA) was established in 2003. It now houses the office of the Alumni Association and provides accommodation to visiting alumni.
The departments of the University have around 97 state of the art laboratories with high end instruments for research and academic activities.
Public/Government Ownership: Institutions that are promoted by the central/state or provincial Government or Government aided agencies.
Private Ownership: Institutes that are promoted by private trusts/Socities/section 8 companies that are not for profits.
In India, a degree can only be delivered by an approved institution and awarded by an institution authorised to do so by an act of parliament or legislature. Approval of institutions can be in the form of affiliation, autonomy, constituent or even approved institution status accorded by a university.
Approval of this College:
UGC - University Grants Commission
Accreditation is a process by which the quality of all the programme is examined and certified normally by an external body of academics in a college. It validates and certifies the academic processes practised within an institute are robust and relevant.
Accreditation of this College:
- National Assessment and Accreditation Council
Validity : 15 Aug 2023 ; CGPA : 3.04