- University of York, York
- An Introduction to Sociolinguistics Accents, Attitudes and Identity
An Introduction to Sociolinguistics: Accents, Attitudes and Identity
Explore like sociolinguists, the relation between identities with An Introduction to Sociolinguistics: Accents, Attitudes and Identity online course.
Medium of instructions English
Mode of learning Self study
Mode of Delivery Video and Text Based
Learning efforts 4 Hours Per Week
Provided by the University of York, the An Introduction to Sociolinguistics: Accents, Attitudes and Identity certification is a short-term course that is issued on the FutureLearn platform. This course is prepared for the main people who want to know how to speak and understand the English language in a proper sense. This Linguistic course shows what effects on oneself and society are established when attitude comes into the picture.
An Introduction to Sociolinguistics: Accents, Attitudes and Identity certification syllabus says that there are different accents when it comes to people’s speaking. This course will act as a guide about how attitudes are formed in society, and what it does to people’s way of speaking languages.
These 4 weeks of An Introduction to Sociolinguistics: Accents, Attitudes, and Identity training will enlighten on the sociolinguistic research methods and their impact on real-world implications of the Language spoken by society as a whole.
- Course on socioliguistics
- 1-month programme
- 4 hours of classes held online
- Certification after completion
- Own learning experience
- 7 weeks course
- Online course
- 2 hours weekly
- Certificate of completion
- Progress mapping
- Global classroom
- Self paced course
- Weekly classes
Course and certificate fees
Type of course
Though the registration process is free on this website but still for getting a verified certificate, candidates have to pay either $49 or $279.99 for one year as the An Introduction to Sociolinguistics: Accents, Attitudes, and Identity certification fees. When the candidate pays either of the fees he or she gets the certificate, and also some other advantages.
An Introduction to Sociolinguistics: Accents, Attitudes and Identity Fee Structure
$279.99 for one year
certificate providing authority
Who it is for
If the candidates are school or college students and have the desire for learning the English Language, and linguistics at their universities then definitely this course is for them. Again this course can also excite English A-Level, and advanced teachers or anyone who has the interest of knowing how to speak a language, how it’s spoken, and its accent.
Any degrees, diplomas, or certificates are not demanded by the An Introduction to Sociolinguistics: Accents, Attitudes and Identity certification by FutureLearn.
- No actual or even volunteering work experience is compulsory.
Certification Qualifying Details
To obtain the certificate of achievement, candidates need to sit for any examination but will only have to undergo the course content and some relevant assessments.
What you will learn
The candidates can learn a whole lot of new things when this course ends which are as follows:
- Candidates can certainly explain what accent and dialect mean, and how attitudes have an effect on these.
- Learners can understand what the accent is, and dialect stereotypes, and what kind of an impact does it have on real-world interactions.
- Sociolinguistic research uses varied approaches which can be better understood by candidates.
- Again, Sociolinguistics has developed recently, and this course will help the candidates explore those developments.
The admission details have been written down below which the participants can choose to follow.
Step 1: One can just start with the official site of the course.
Step 2: Then comes finding buttons called ‘Join the course for free or ‘Register’.
Step 3: Any of the two buttons can be clicked as it yields the same result as the registration page.
Step 4: Then the candidates have to register using their social accounts or any other valid email addresses.
Step 5: When an account is registered, the candidates can make a choice between the types of courses, pay the fee, and this gives them admission.
Filling the form
The registration form is available to be filled up instead of an application form. The registration form is simple. One can just use the credentials for their accounts like Gmail or Facebook or can even register by filling in some of their personal details.
Introduction to the study of language attitudes
How do you measure attitudes?
What is the relationship between language and identity?
Why language attitudes matter
How it helps
An Introduction to Sociolinguistics: Accents, Attitudes, and Identity certification benefits are:
- Anyone interested in the sociolinguistics topic will get a beginner-level idea of it.
- Learning in this course can never get boring since its content is a concoction of videos, articles, as well as practical activities.
- The candidates are always in control when it comes to how long or at what time they are ready to start studying.
- One can explore what power social learning has to offer, and how social learning can create a team of international learners together.
There is no final examination that takes place after the completion of the An Introduction to Sociolinguistics: Accents, Attitudes and Identity programme.
The University of York has organized the syllabus of the course.
The educators are Claire Childs, Sarah Lapacz, and Dom Watt who are all experts in their respective fields.
The online programme is only divided into a period of 4 weeks.
Weekly candidates will have to allot 4 hours for the course.
The Brochure has been downloaded and sent to your registered email ID successfully.
Brochure has been downloaded.