Medium of instructions English
Mode of learning Self study
Mode of Delivery Video Based
Learning efforts 5-10 Hours Per Week
number of course credit 3
The certificate program on Medical Terminology is offered by Doane University’s Open Learning Academy platform known as Doane. This course provides the students with the foundations for pursuing undergraduate level programs. The course is planned with the idea of the credit system and the candidate will be able to earn credit for this course which is worth USD 500 or equivalent. The course will teach candidates with the fluency required for medical terms through the study of prefixes, suffixes and root words.
This Medical Terminology course is offered for the duration of 8 to 10 weeks and is very introductory by nature. To have a well-meaning career in the medical field, it is mandatory to acquire good comprehension in communicating the proper medical term required and the course teaches the candidates the terms in anatomy, pathology, physiology and diagnostics without any previous knowledge required. The Medical Terminology online course benefits students as a self-paced course. The student needs to put in a minimum effort of at least 5 to 10 hours a week in order to pass this course successfully.
- Self-paced program
- Course instructed by Associate Dean, Doane University
- 8 to 10 weeks of course duration
- English mode of instruction
- 5 to 10 hours of student participation
- Audit option for the course
- Doane University and edX verified certificate.
- 100% e-learning course
- Video transcripts
- Proctored exam
- Discussion forums
Course and certificate fees
Type of course
- The cumulative fee necessary for enrolling in this course is Rs.7,339.
Amount in Rs.
Note: If students can only enrol to this course for free, they will have an audit option available.
certificate providing authority
Who it is for
This course on Medical Terminology will be benefiting the following people:
- Aspiring Medical graduates who wish to strengthen their fundamentals in terminologies of the field.
- High school or diploma students who wish to transfer credit from their coursework for the future undergraduate program in medical discipline saving them course fees.
Certification qualifying details
The candidate will be assessed for the final score in a series of course criteria such as quizzes, discussion boards, assignments and final proctored tests, and the candidate must secure a final score of 70 percent to be qualified for the confirmed certificate. The student can pay for credit hours for the following course (BIOL-210x Medical Terminology: 3 credit hours) by paying a stipulated fee of $500 if the candidate gets an equivalent grade of C or better.
What you will learn
This course on Medical Terminology helps the aspiring medical professional in:
- The candidate should be able to look out and interpret the suffixes and prefixes that are commonly used in medical terms.
- The candidates will learn about the stem words and their meanings which help in breaking down complex medical terms and their associated components for deciphering the meaning.
- The candidate will be able to use some of the common medical abbreviations in the medical documents used for interpreting the shortened notes made by the physicians.
- The candidates will be able to find the context behind medical documentation and reports for writing and applying suitable medical terms.
- The candidates will learn to communicate with their peers accurately in this field of medicine.
- The candidate will be able to understand the organization of the human body along with locating all parts as necessary.
- The candidate will be able to understand the working of both the digestive and urinary systems associated with a single unit for comprehensive learning.
- The candidates will learn about pharmacology and oncology in brief to understand its significance.
- The candidate will be able to appreciate the duties carried out by the nervous system and its unit relation with the musculoskeletal system.
- The candidate should learn about the concepts behind reproduction with systems of both men and women in medicine.
The Step by step instructions for securing admissions in the Medical Terminology online course is easy-to-follow and the candidate required to abide by these steps in order to enrol for the program
The admission procedure for the Medical Terminology course is:
Step 1: To create an account with all the necessary information, the applicant uses the given link https://courses.edx.org/register.
Step 2: After account creation and registration, candidates can register for the interested program using the "Enroll" option.
Step 3: The candidate must opt for the "Verified" option for applicant obtaining the certificate.
Step 4: With the specified fee, the applicant will make the payment for the course here by visiting the following link https://payment.edx.org/.
Step 5: The applicant can choose "Place Order" and any e-payment option such as Paypal and others etc.
Urinary system drag and drop
Digestive system drag and drop
Basic word structure
Introduction to the language of medicine
Locating parts of the body
Structural organization of the body
Lymphatic & immune systems
Welcome to the course
Word scramble activity
Male reproductive system
Female reproductive system
Practice proctored exam
Drag and drop activity
Senses - eyes & ears
Through its financial assistance program, edX is able to provide help for students who want to receive a verified credential but are unable to pay for it. For the certificate, students can obtain up to 90% waiver. The candidate may need to prove that the payment for the certificate course will cause financial hardship. In a separate application, the students need to apply for financial assistance and if the financial aid is accepted, the applicants may receive guidance to check the student's identity to complete the process.
How it helps
This course on Medical Terminology is a beginner level programme which helps with the terminological knowledge of candidates and learning hands-on. The course instructor is the Associate Dean and reputed faculty from Doane University and a course from such a renowned person is not only enriching in knowledge but also provides proper expertise in the medical field for making the professionals of tomorrow.
This programme is verified and it carries the signature of the instructor which serves as a well-deserving credential for the student as it will highlight the relevant skills necessary for recruiters in employment portals.
The students can attach this credential to their online portfolios and documents such as resume or CV through which they will be able to notify their addition of skills which are in tune with the industry demands. The certificate having the achievements of a verified status will give an edge for the candidate over his peers in professional networking areas such as Linkedin.
Through the hands-on work in the Medical Terminology certification course, the candidate is able to elucidate them well in job interviews and impress enough to get hired in job positions requiring those skills. The course is also additionally beneficial to the student for gaining credits when he or she is pursuing the undergraduate programme in medical disciplines. This certificate will help candidates who are wishing to switch his or her career position or negotiate for a better position within the organization with added benefits such as salary raise or promotion.
No, this course is a novice level program that allows the student to be qualified.
This curriculum would cover terminology for students pertaining to anatomy, pathology, physiology, and diagnostic tests.
Yes, the candidate can enroll for this course and may contact his or her university of choice and request for credit transfer when pursuing their undergraduate program.
Yes, this course will give the learners an opportunity to experience rigorous coursework on a flexible method of learning.
The students must satisfy 3 eligible criteria which are
- Course enrollment in the verified certificate track
- Abiding by the policies of academic integrity and coursework
- A passing grade of at least C grade or better
Yes. The audit option can be used by participants if they do not seek any certification or tests.
The student must undergo several assessments, quizzes, discussions and a final proctored exam and should secure a passing percentage of 70% to be eligible to receive this certificate.
The coursework is self-paced by nature and the student is not required to be instructor-led in this program.
Harvard University, Cambridge via Edx
Karolinska Institute, Solna via Edx
Karolinska Institute, Solna via Edx
Doane University, Crete via Edx
Karolinska Institute, Solna via Edx
Curtin University, Perth via Edx
Stanford University, Stanford via Edx
Courses of your interest
More Courses by Doane University, Crete
The Brochure has been downloaded and sent to your registered email ID successfully.
Brochure has been downloaded.