- Introduction to dynamics
- Newton’s equivalence principle
- König’s theorems
- Structural applications
Understanding and Applying Structural Dynamics: Dynamics and Aerospace Structures Course
Study structural dynamics, their fundamentals, and applications, along with how to apply this knowledge to design Aerospace structures.
Medium of instructions English
Mode of learning Self study
Mode of Delivery Video and Text Based
Learning efforts 4 Hours Per Week
Creating rockets has been a hobby of most as children. Through this course on Understanding and Applying Structural Dynamics: Dynamics and Aerospace Structures by Future Learn, which is a course in the Science, Engineering and Maths category, you will be able to understand the structures made to sustain the extremities of space conditions. In this course, you will learn the dynamics of structures, explore the science behind the design of these complex aerospace mechanisms, and apply them to design such structures yourself.
Today, the structures are more than statics. We need dynamic structures, as mobility is the basic feature for most of these structures. Integrating dynamics to the design process helps build light and fully functional space structures. Developing a good knowledge base for the topic will be beneficial to those interested in design, product management, construction, etc., as dynamic structures are being used everywhere – be it aircraft, or any other engineering like civil, or naval, etc.
The course will help you learn the fundamentals of dynamics and structural dynamics. You will be taught how and where dynamics are relevant to any form of structural engineering. By the end of the course, you will understand and even design mechanical structures better. The course is being taught by experienced teachers at the Institut Supérieur de L'Aéronautique et de L'Espace ISAE-SUPAERO. This course is suitable for anyone interested in aerospace structures and structural engineering.
- 4 weeks course
- A digital certificate, immediately on completion
- All supporting material provided within the course
- The course is available in the English language only.
- Practice exercises
- Lesson videos
- Community learning
Course And certificate fees
Type of course
- The course is available free of cost. No assessments or certificates are provided under this plan
- If you want to access the entire course material – with the assessments and certificate – you can choose any of the paid plans, as per your convenience.
certificate providing authority
Who it is for
This course is designed to educate students on the dynamics, dynamic structures and principles that can be applied to any and every field, that they may be interested in, focusing on Aerospace structures. Those with a keen interest in sciences, maths or engineering, can opt for this course. Graduates, undergraduates, project managers, managers, management students etc. can also benefit from the course.
Certification Qualifying Details
Enrollment into the course is free of cost, but the certificate will be available only when applicants upgrade the course. Students will get additional benefits with the upgrade. The certificate is given when you have scored at least 70 percent, on an average, in the entire course, with 90 percent in every individual assignment.
What you will learn
In the Understanding and Applying Structural Dynamics: Dynamics and Aerospace Structures course, candidates will learn:
- To recognize dynamics and in which problems they can be applied
- To be able to select the best fitting model.
- How to identify the general Lagrangian dynamic systems of equations.
- Application and usage of the dynamics equations and hence, finding the solutions of beam systems.
- Distinguish and analyze the fundamental problems that consider discrete systems like eigenstates, inertias, masses, etc.
The process for admission to the Understanding and Applying Structural Dynamics: Dynamics and Aerospace Structures course is described below:
Creating an account:
- To open an account at FutureLearn, click on the ‘join/enrol’ button in the course listings or the page containing the course description.
- Or you can simply click the ‘Sign in’ button located at the top right corner of the website.
- Next, click on ‘Register’ to create your Future Learn account.
- You will be required to fill in the details as asked in the form or register yourself with your Facebook or Google account.
Filling the form
Joining the Understanding and Applying Structural Dynamics: Dynamics and Aerospace Structures course:
- You have two ways you can use to search for the Understanding and Applying Structural Dynamics: Dynamics and Aerospace Structures course
- In the Subjects tab, on the top of the page, look for Sciences, Engineering and Maths, and click on Understanding and Applying Structural Dynamics: Dynamics and Aerospace Structures
- You can also just enter the name of this course in the search bar.
- You are directed to the course page, where you click on the button Join course.
- You will then be taken to the section containing the plans available for you for the course.
- You can choose the plan that best suits you – the upgraded course, free course, or the Unlimited subscription. Each plan’s details are given for your benefit.
- Make the required payment, and thereafter, you will be enrolled in the course.
Fundamentals of Dynamics
Discrete Dynamic systems
- Generation of discrete systems
- Lagrange modeling
- Numerical modeling
- Generation of equations
- Solutions of equations
- Conservative structural systems
- Gaussian modes
- Eigen Shapes in vibrations and shocks
- Theory of prismatic beams
- Dynamic formalism – generalization and application
- Dynamic representation of structures
You can opt to learn from the course for free. However, to access the assignments and the certificate, you will have to either upgrade this course, or you can subscribe to Future Learn Unlimited.
Continuous evaluation can be expected. All assessments are considered for the final evaluation and certificate.
How it helps
This course will be beneficial to anyone involved or interested in studying, designing or managing structure. It teaches the students how the dynamics principles can be applied to make structures functional, how the correct model can be chosen based on its specifications, and how aerospace structures make use of these principles in reality.
Yves Gourinat, Professor at ISAE-SUPAERO (Université de Toulouse) and the Deputy Director of Clément ADR Institute, teaches this course. He has specialized in biodynamics and nonlinear mechanics.
When you enroll in the course, you will get an email, confirming your registration, and explaining the nitty-gritty of the course. A to-do list will also appear in the ‘Your Courses’ section on Future Learn, regarding what is expected of you during the course.
The lessons can be taken any time, however, remember that enrollment in the free plan will make the course be available to you for a limited time only unless you upgrade the course.
Assessments are offered based on what the course requires of the students.
For a reflection on course matter, Future Learn offers intermittent quizzes, which are not included in the evaluation for the certificate. These are only for the practice of the students.
Sometimes exercises are offered, for retention purposes, based on the course material, but are not evaluated.
Future Learn offers tests on all the topics taught in the course. These tests are included in the final evaluation for the course certificate.
Assignments are also given, which will be peer-graded. These will also be counted in the final score for the certificate.
Future Learn aim to educate those interested in learning, and hence, some of the course matters will ask you to make extra efforts. Topics may be unfamiliar to you, or some concepts unknown, as we want you to invest time in the basics. We have provided you with the comments section, where the students discuss their queries with each other. This stimulates community learning.
In this section, you can post your query or doubt. You can also provide answers to some of the questions asked by others, or even correct the given.
Bullying is frowned upon, and strict action will be taken against any violators.
Yes. Future Learn has all tried to put such features in place so as to help our students get the best experience. You are enabled to turn on/off the subtitles for a given video at the future Learn platform. This is available for most videos.
You can also opt for the transcripts of the video, available in both text and audio formats.
You can use any of these features whenever you feel like it. These are even made downloadable files for your convenience.
Future Learn also provides our achievers with printed certificates. Digital certificates are automatically sent to you when you successfully complete the course. But if you also want a printed certificate, you can avail for the same, keeping in mind the following:
- You will be asked to pay for the shipping costs, but Future Learn doesn’t charge extra for the printed certificate.
- You have to translate your address to English while applying for the printed certificate.
- If you want any changes to be made to the printed certificate, kindly contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org