- Fees: ₹ 1,005,500
- Exams: JEE Advanced
What is Bio Engineering
Bioengineering, having the honour of a Bachelor’s of Technology, is a degree that deals with the amalgamation of the two fields of biology and engineering. The study of the course of Bioengineering is based on the usage of biological advancements in the field of engineering to create products that can benefit both fields as well as mankind. It deals with several aspects of energy, biomaterials as well as the environment and helps integrate them into engineered technology.
B. Tech in Bioengineering
M. Tech in Bioengineering
Courses in Bioengineering
Bachelor’s Degree in Bioengineering
Master’s Degree in Bioengineering
- 10+2 marks with an overall aggregate of 50%, including the subjects of Physics, Chemistry and Biology
-JEE Main Scorecard (If asked for by the University)
-Entrance exams by the college
- B. Tech Degree in Bioengineering
- GATE (Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering) Scorecard, if asked for by the University
- Clearance of the Universities Entrance Exam, if asked for.
Rs. 3 Lakhs Per Annum
Rs. 4 Lakhs Per Annum
Rs. 6 Lakhs Per Annum
Rs. 7 Lakhs Per Annum
Jobs in Bioengineering
Biological Technician, Biological Trainee, Associate Professor, Sales Engineer
Associate Professor, Professor, Manufacturing Engineer, Quality Engineer, Researcher
Eligibility Criteria (UG & PG) of Bio Engineering
2) Completion of the JEE Main Exam and obtaining the required All India Rank in it.
For M. Tech in Bio-Engineering -
1) Completion of a Bachelors of Technology in the field of Bioengineering
2) Completion of the GATE Entrance Exam and obtaining an All India Rank in it.
Browse B.Tech Colleges by Cities
Browse B.Tech Colleges by States
Entrance Exams for B.Tech in Bioengineering
To pursue a B. Tech course in Bioengineering, the candidate must appear for a national-level test, JEE Main. The students are selected on the basis of their All India Rank (AIR) in the exam. The students can also appear for State-based examinations like:
AP EAMCET (Andhra Pradesh Engineering, Agriculture & Medical Common Entrance Test)
TS EAMCET (Tamil Nadu Engineering, Agriculture & Medical Common Entrance Test)
UPSEE (Uttar Pradesh State Entrance Examination)
JCECE (Jharkhand Common Entrance Competitive Exam)
BCECE (Bihar Combined Entrance Competitive Examination)
JEE Advanced (Joint Entrance Examination Advanced)
Entrance Exams for M.Tech in Bioengineering
Candidates who wish to pursue M. Tech in Bioengineering must appear for GATE (Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering), a national-level examination, conducted by Indian Institute of Science, once every year. The All India Rank thus obtained is the basis of the admission for the course across different colleges.
Some universities conduct their own entrance exams that they consider for admission into their universities. They are as follows –
BITSAT Entrance Exam (Birla Institute of Technology and Sciences)
SRMJEEE Entrance Exam (SRM Institute of Science and Technology)
CUCET Exam (Central Universities Common Entrance Test)
All the above are All India entrance exams that require securing a national ranking based on which the admission process is done.
1) Admission into any college first involves the process of registration for that college. Each college has its own eligibility criteria as well as cut off lists which a candidate must check. If eligible, candidates can go on to filling up the registration form, uploading all necessary documents as well as paying the registration fees.
2) Some universities require their own entrance exams to be written, as well as other entrance exams. If necessary, the rankings of these exams must also be submitted at the time of application.
3) Upon the release of the merit list by the University, you must immediately secure the seat through the payment of a small admission fee. This fee is usually non-refundable and also avails students the final admission forms. The forms are then filled as required, while also picking the electives for the semester and then submitted to complete the admission process.
Scope of Bio Engineering in India and Abroad
Being a course that is deeply immersed in both the scientific and technological field, a candidate would be the most suitable if they had a strong inclination towards a scientific background and also a good sense of the basics of both mathematics and science.
The scope of Bioengineering courses in a world that demands new technologies in the field of medicine and otherwise is boundless. There are several branches of the course that one can streamline into after completion of the degree, including the field of Biomimetics, Cellular Engineering, Bio Instrumentation or just digress into the aspects of management, sales as well as the production of Biotechnology. Thus, the opportunities for a career, in the subject of your choice, is limitless.
Course Fees Bio Engineering
|Minimum Fees||Maximum Fees|
Having included several aspects of the field of both biology and engineering, the curriculum of the Bioengineering course is vast, diverse and extremely interesting. Listed below, are the main aspects of the curriculum of both the UG and PG courses in this field.
1) Course Syllabus of B. Tech. in Bioengineering –
- Animal Biotechnology
- Applied Microbiology
- Cell Biology
- Genetics and Molecular Biology
- Structural Biology
- Plant System Physiology
- Drug Designing
Apart from the above, it also provides a minor specialization in the following fields –
- Biomaterials: Study of materials that interact with biological systems, including their synthesis, processing as well as characteristics.
- Signal and Image Processing: Analysis and identification of meanings of signals and imagery using various hardware and software components. It also includes machine learning as well as biometrics.
- Business Management: It includes the fields of financial, administrative as well as marketing management in the field of Bioengineering.
- Computational Mathematics: Usage of graphs and matrices in a digital format for the solving of complex problems.
2) Course Syllabus of M. Tech. in Bioengineering –
An M. Tech allows specialization in several fields. Listed below are a few of the specializations available in an M. Tech. in Bioengineering –
- System Physiology: It is the field that deals with the understanding of the processes in living organisms with the application of experimental and theoretical aspects of physiology.
- Clinical Engineering: Usage of Bioengineering advancements in the field of medicine to come up with viable solutions.
- Biomedical Instrumentation: Quantitative aspects of biology and the techniques used to measure and study them.
- Cell and Tissue Engineering: It revolves around the artificial generation of cells and tissues using the principles of engineering
- Medical Imagery: Creation of visuals of organs within the human body for better understanding and study, as well as their usage in healthcare.
- Advanced Biomechanics: In-depth application of the field of mechanics as well as measurement into Biology.
- Rehabilitation Engineering: This field helps meet the needs of people with disabilities with advancements in the aspects of prosthetics and other tools.
Careers in Bio Engineering
Bioengineering is one of the hottest fields of engineering in the present times. With intensive research to improve medical treatments through modern technology, the field promises excellent career prospects. Bioengineers are in great demand and one can easily find employment with private sector enterprises as well as government entities. There are various specialisations that one can pursue with Bioengineering to create a niche for themselves in the sector. Not only will one be able to earn a handsome remuneration for their efforts but will also make a positive impact on the world.
Popular Engineering Colleges in India
Bioengineering professionals have always been the driving force behind the advances in the healthcare field. The biggest upcoming trends in the field of Bioengineering include the following: -
Better medical imaging that will provide physicians with real-time and augmented views of the body for better diagnosis.
Development of bionic limbs as the next step in prosthetics. These devices will be controlled by the users with their mind, with help of a chip.
Artificial Intelligence is being integrated with other disciplines for better understanding of systems and development of better medical treatments.
Wearable devices like advanced smartwatches that will share real-time data with physicians and enable better treatment for different conditions.
- Extensive research is being conducted to devise methods of restoring brain functions through different stimulation modalities.
Browse bio engineering certification courses
|Sustainable Management of Biodiversity||Computational Systems Biology|
|Mechanics of Human Movement||Structural Biology|
View complete list of bio engineering certification courses
Job Profiles and Top Recruiters
Helps with implementing Bioengineering developments in the field of medicine and healthcare
Teaching in colleges of Bioengineering
Help in the creation of equipment like the pacemaker, defibrillator and other innovations towards grafting parts of organisms using technology
Applies the principles of Mechanical Engineering to Biology to create new innovations
To study and research more about the field of Bioengineering
Does testing and research on new innovations in the field of Bioengineering to study its suitability for use.
Helps with the generation of software’s to aid the field of Bio Technology
Listed here, are some of the most popular and lucrative job recruiters in the Bioengineering Department –
- Johnson and Johnson
- Philips Healthcare
- GE Wipro
- BPL Healthcare
- Larsen and Turbo
- Various government agencies and departments.
Listed here are the salaries of Bioengineer based on their experience-
Salary (Per Annum)
Entry Level Bioengineer (less than one year)
Early Career Bioengineer (1 to 4 years)
Mid-Career Bioengineer (5 to 9 years)
Experienced Bioengineer (10 to 15 years)
Salaries based on the field of specialization are as follows –
Salary (Per Annum)
**The salary figures mentioned anywhere in this article is just for reference purposes. Please treat them as such. Actual salaries may vary depending on respective candidates, employer, job location and numerous other factors.
Required Skillset for Bio Engineering
A candidate interested in the Bioengineering course must come with a keen interest in learning as well as a sense of curiosity. Being a field of a lifetime of learning and advancements, the below-mentioned skills are of utmost importance for anyone considering the course of Bioengineering -
- Ability to Work in a Team – A Bioengineer will need to function well with a team of researchers in order to utilize everyone’s best skills for better output and work towards a common goal faster
- Alertness and Diligence – There is a constant need for further developments and advancements in the field of Biotechnology. Therefore, constant learning and research through diligence and concentration is the only way forward in the career.
- Curiosity – It is a curious mind that learns the most. Since the field of Bioengineering thrives on new learning, a sense of curiosity is essential for every Bioengineering Graduate.
- Problem Solving Skills – Since Bioengineering is also about advancements in the fields of human health and solving issues dealing with several physical aspects of our environment, a strong analytical sense to come up with innovative solutions is essential.
- Ability to Design – Developing new technologies and machines requires a basic sense of design to come up with machines that are functional in the real world.
Course Curriculum for Bio Engineering
The course curriculum for a Bioengineering qualification enables the candidates to acquire in-depth knowledge of mathematics, engineering and elementary science subjects like physics, physiology, and chemistry. The course curriculum is an amalgamation of various quantitative aspects of engineering design and analysis with a host of topics under biological sciences. You can expect to acquire essential skills that will help you contribute to developing better systems for medical diagnosis, treatment, research and support. The course curriculum will prepare you to take on various challenges of the modern work environment efficiently.
Popular Bio Engineering Entrance Exams in India
Popular Bio Engineering Colleges in India VIEW ALL
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Question: What are the main functions of a Biomedical Engineer?
They combine the field of Biology and Engineering to create innovations in the field of healthcare and medicines such as prosthetics, medical imagery, artificial organs, monitoring systems and other diagnostic systems.They also research on new advancements with collaborations with other biologists and check the safety of existing equipment created by the Bioengineering Department.
Question: What are the main factors that determine the salary of a Bioengineer?
The salary of a Bioengineer depends a lot on their experience. Since it is a field of constant learning, the longer you have been in it, the more you tend to know and the more you are valued. It can also depend upon the recruiter as well as your field of specialization.
Question: What are some of the best universities for a degree in Bioengineering?
Some of the most renowned universities in India for the Field of Bioengineering are –
Manipal University, Manipal
SRM University, Kattankulathur
Question: Does Bioengineering require good mathematical skills?
Since this course deals with the field of Biology and Engineering, both a science and mathematics background are essential. However, if the basics are known, the rest of the concepts of the course will not be hard to pick up on.
Question: Does Bioengineering have a good future?
With an increasing need for greater development in the medical industry growing with our increasing advancements in the field of technology, there will also be a need for a Bioengineer. It is a profession of the mind that cannot be substituted with any other artificial solution and shall always be relevant.
Questions related to Bio Engineering
which college offers integrated mtech cource for biotechnology engeenering....
Mentioned below is the list of top colleges offering Mtech course for Biotechnology engineering in India:
- ITM University Gwalior
- Banaras Hindu University
- Tezpur University
- Graphic Era University
- Jaypee Institute of Information Technology
For more details click on below link:
best bsc biotechnology clgs I hyderabad
I hope you are doing well.
Bsc Biotechnology is a course which is recently chosen more often from the students in science background.
The duration of this course is 3 years. This course provides students with wide and in depth information regarding this area.
Below I’ll be sharing a link which will provide one with the list of best biotechnology colleges in Hyderabad.
I hope the above information helps.
All the very best
which Course should I opt Bsc biochemistry or bsc Agriculture or b.pharma or bsc biotechnology? Which has better scope
If you really want to do a BSc course then go for Agriculture rather than biotechnology. BSc Agriculture is a 4 year course and it will give you better opportunities and job exposures. If you really wanna study biotech or biochem then go for the B. Tech one rather than BSc. B. Tech has a wide range of subjects that will help you in your career.
In case of d. Pharma, I will suggest you to do it after a bachelors. It will help you get a greater practical experience as a result more job opportunities.
Hope this helps!
what does university of hyderabad offers msc cource in biotechnology engeenering Or mtech biotechnology engeenering..
The School of Lifesciences University of Hyderabad offers the following courses
- Msc in Biotechnology
- Mtech in Bioinformatics
- Integrated M.Sc./Ph.D Biotechnology
- Ph.D Biotechnology
Hope you got your query cleared.
my fathers surname in my 10 and 12 certificate is extra like he uses sk bt it is sk yadav will their be any issue during admission and what else other than correction can be done..
Your father's name should be same in all the Educational certificates, supporting documents and requisite certificates that you need to submit. If the name of your father is different in one or more requisite certificates then you need to get an affidavit stating that both the names belongs to your father. You need to publish the notice in the local newspaper. You can provide the affidavit at the time document verification.