- The roots of the circular economy
- How can a circular economy provide solutions to the challenges brought by the current linear economy?
Circular Economy An Introduction
Enrol in EdX’s Circular Economy: An Introduction course to implement novel design and business approaches for a sustainable economic system.
Medium of instructions English
Mode of learning Self study
Mode of Delivery Video and Text Based
Learning efforts 3-6 Hours Per Week
The Circular Economy course aims to explore how businesses can recycle and reuse products to create value. In the current scenario, with the varying issues of climate change, waste, loss of biodiversity and resource scarcity, the global society cannot be deemed sustainable. At the same time, there is a need to sustain economies and create opportunities for a growing world population. The Circular economy is all about providing solutions for this situation.
In the Circular Economy programme by EdX, you will see how designers come up with witty solutions to make a circular economy happen and how you can contribute to the cause. You will re-think the current economic system and learn how to act upon it. You will have a wholesome learning opportunity through video lectures, tests and assignments and case studies.
The Circular Economy online programme is offered by TU Delft or the Delft University of Technology. The creators of this course are the Leiden-Delft-Erasmus Centre for sustainability and the Ellen MacArthur Foundation. It is taught by reputed instructors like Ken Webster, David Peck, Conny Bakker and Ester van der Voet. Upon completion of the edX curriculum, you will earn a certificate.
- Seven-week course
- Online classes
- Video tutorials
- Subtitles available in English
- Offered by Delft University of Technology
- Classes held 3-6 hours per week
- Introductory-level course
- Self-paced digital learning
- Certificate of achievement available
- Assignments and tests
- Free accessibility
- Video lectures
- Video transcripts available in english
- Learn at your own pace
- Certificate of achievement
- Graded tests and assignments
- Top instructors
Course and certificate fees
Type of course
The candidates who choose to audit the Circular Economy online course by EdX will get free access to all the course material. The candidate must pay the certification fee to access the graded tests and assignments and qualify for certification. EdX accepts payments through Credit or Debit cards or via PayPal. For credit or debit cards, the edX course will accept American Express cards, Visa cards, and Master cards.
Circular Economy: An Introduction course Certificate Fee
Circular Economy: An Introduction
certificate providing authority
Who it is for
The Circular Economy online program offered by EdX is designed for any candidate who is interested in learning about the circular economy. Since this is an introductory-level course and has no prerequisites, any interested student or candidate will be able to follow the program.
The criterion for being eligible for the Circular Economy certificate of achievement is that the candidates must pay the fee for certification. Besides that, they must complete the course lectures and graded tests and assignments as well.
What you will learn
The candidates participating in the Circular Economy course by edX will learn the following:
- The roots of a circular economy, which will be explored together with experts in the fields of biomimicry and cradle to cradle as well as industrial ecology.
- How new business opportunities are created through reverse logistics and loop supply chains.
- How to create value and the new business models in the circular economy.
- How a system's profitability can be increased by a smaller loop and how product life can be extended.
- How remanufacturing enables the companies to re-capture value on a product or component level and how it is becoming a new and promising business opportunity.
1. Visit the official web page of the Circular Economy: An Introduction course by clicking on the link provided here – https://www.edx.org/course/circular-economy-an-introduction
2. Register with EdX by clicking on the “Register” tab and create your EdX account.
3. Select the “Enrol Now” option to enrol in the programme.
4. To access this course for free, click on the “Audit This Course” option.
5. Pay the certification fee using your preferred mode of payment if you want a shareable certificate at the end of the programme.
Episode 1 – What is the circular economy?
Episode 2 – Business value in a circular economy
- Value creation in a circular economy
- New business models in a circular economy
Episode 3 – Longer lasting products
- Product life extension through the eyes of entrepreneurs and designers
Episode 4 – Remanufacturing
- Explore remanufacturing with researchers and entrepreneurs
Episode 5 – Waste equals food
- How to take inspiration from nature
- Redesigning the way of dealing with waste
- A circular case-study
Episode 6 – Thinking in systems
- Extent and duration of the transition from linear to circular
- Is the circular economy sustainable?
Episode 7 - Giving back
- Final exam
To be eligible for the Circular Economy course certificate, the candidates must take the graded assignments or tests that become available after payment of the certification fee. Only if they pass these assignments, they will qualify for certification.
How it helps
EdX’s Circular Economy online course helps the candidates rethink the preconceived economic notions and understand how an economy can be sustained by intelligent planning and awareness about the environment. Besides the video lectures and assignments, learning will be through case studies to better understand the subject. At the end of the course, there will be a webinar, a forum for discussing the current pressing issues.
The Circular Economy course certificate is shareable, and the candidate can include it in their CV or resume. It may also be shared on LinkedIn. The certificate will show that the candidate has completed the course successfully and will increase their credibility.
The Circular Economy online program can be audited online completely free of cost. So, after enrolment, you will be able to pursue this course whenever it is suitable for you.
The Circular Economy: An Introduction course by EdX has the option of self-paced learning. Classes will be recorded in videos with video transcripts in English for the candidate to access at their convenience. So, you will be able to do this course parallelly with your job.
EdX accepts payments through PayPal or credit or debit cards. EdX payment platform accepts American express cards, Master cards, and Visa cards in case of credit or debit cards.
After you complete the Circular Economy course and pay the certification fee, you will be eligible to receive a shareable certificate of completion from EdX.
The course tests and assignments are not compulsory and will become available to the candidates only after payment of the certification fee. However, the candidates must take these tests and pass them to become eligible for certification.
The University of Tokyo, Tokyo via Edx
International Monetary Fund via Edx
Georgetown University, Washington via Edx
Peking University via Edx
The World Bank Group via Edx
Babson College, Wellesley via Edx
Doane University, Crete via Edx
Georgetown University, Washington via Edx
The University of Western Australia, Perth via Coursera