- Concept of entropy
- Chemical equilibrium
- Properties of Gibbs free energy
- Phase equilibrium of one and two-component system
Advanced Chemical Thermodynamics and Kinetics
Enroll into the AICTE approved Advanced Chemical Thermodynamics and Kinetics training and learn about classical and statistical thermodynamics and kinetics.
Medium of instructions English
Mode of learning Self study
Mode of Delivery Video and Text Based
number of course credit 3
Advanced Chemical Thermodynamics and Kinetics programme is an online course by Swayam, which is an AICTE approved faculty development programme or FDP. It will be taught by Prof Arijit Kumar De from IISER Mohali for a period of twelve weeks. The course will involve online lectures, assignments, and a final exam.
Advanced Chemical Thermodynamics and Kinetics certification course will cover a wide range of topics in macroscopic and statistical thermodynamics and kinetics. It will explain a number of physicochemical phenomena. As it is not a beginner level course, candidates who want to enrol in the programme are encouraged to gain a basic level understanding of thermodynamics.
Advanced Chemical Thermodynamics and Kinetics provides a list of books and references which can be used to follow the course material better. While every other part of the course is online, the final exam will be held at various pre-designated centres in different cities for the participants’ convenience.
- Undergraduate/Postgraduate level Elective course
- Approved by AICTE as an FDP course
- Taught by faculty from IISER Mohali
- Final offline exam
- Online course
- The course of twelve weeks
- Course Category: Chemistry
- List of books and references provided
- No enrolment fees
- No enrolment fees
- Course category: chemistry
- Final offline exam
- Approved by aicte as an fdp course
- Taught by faculty from iiser mohali
- Online course
- Course of twelve weeks
- Ug/pg level elective course
Course and certificate fees
Type of course
- Advanced Chemical Thermodynamics and Kinetics training have an exam fee of Rs. 1,000. This is not an enrolment fee. Candidates only need to pay this fee to fulfill the certification eligibility criteria.
Advanced Chemical Thermodynamics and Kinetics program fee structure
Advanced Chemical Thermodynamics and Kinetics (Certificate Eligibility)
certificate providing authority
Who it is for
Advanced Chemical Thermodynamics and Kinetics is intended for the below-given audience:
- Integrated BSc+MSc third-year students
- BSc or BS final year students
- Undergraduate engineering or integrated five-year engineering third-year students
- MSc students or integrated Ph.D. candidates in their first or second year
- Ph.D. students in their first year
Candidates who want to enrol in the Advanced Chemical Thermodynamics and Kinetics program need to have introductory knowledge in thermodynamics.
Candidates also need to complete all the assignments with a minimum score of 10/25 and pass the final exam with a minimum of 30/75 and get a final score of 40/100 to gain the certificate.
What you will learn
Advanced Chemical Thermodynamics and Kinetics program will provide undergraduate and postgraduate level information about statistical and classical thermodynamics and kinetics and its application in chemistry. It will also explore the various physicochemical phenomena.
- Advanced Chemical Thermodynamics and Kinetics by Swayam can be joined by candidates by visiting https://onlinecourses.nptel.ac.in/noc21_cy23/preview and either registering themselves or signing in.
- They need to fill an online form and pay the exam fee if they want to qualify for the certificate. If they do not want the certificate, they don’t need to pay the exam fee.
- Once these steps are followed, and scrutiny has been complete, candidates can participate in the course.
Filling the form
Advanced Chemical Thermodynamics and Kinetics program application form consist of an online form that can be accessed by signing into the Swayam website. Individuals can sign in using their email addresses or choose to use their Google, Facebook, or Microsoft account.
Review of classical thermodynamics
- Dispersion interaction
- Dipole moment
- Electrical polarisation
- Dipole-dipole and Dipole-induced dipole interaction
- Diffusion (Fick's laws)
Review of chemical kinetics
- Kinetic measurements
- Reaction mechanism
Advanced topics in chemical kinetics
- Introduction to photochemistry
- Atmospheric and Combustion chemistry.
- Kinetics of multicomponent systems
Introduction to statistical thermodynamics
- Boltzmann distribution
- Molecular partition function
Introduction to bimolecular reaction dynamics
- Transition state theory
- Potential energy surface
- Lindemann-Christiansen model
- Introductory discussion on Hinshelwood and RRK/RRKM models
Introduction to solution-phase reaction dynamics
- Marcus theory of electron transfer
- Cage effect
- Diffusion controlled reactions
- Polar solvation
The activity of ions (Debye-Huckel theory)
Insights into electrode processes Ionic conductivity
- Insights into electrode processes
- Ionic conductivity
Lab demonstration (including illustrations)
- Transport phenomena: Coefficient of viscosity
- Chemical kinetics: Hydrolysis of an ester
- Photochemistry: Degradation of a dye
- Reaction dynamics: Femtosecond pump-probe spectroscopy
Advanced Chemical Thermodynamics and Kinetics training have many conditions to achieve the examination besides the certificate eligibility fee. Participants have to submit all the assignments as the average score received from the best eight assignments out of 12 will be counted as the assignment score. This will count to 25% of the final score.
The final offline exam will be for three hours and carries 75% of the final score.
The final score will be the sum of the assignment score and the final exam score. However, if the participants achieve less than ten marks in the assignments or less than 30 marks in the final exam, they will forfeit the certificate even if the combined total is more than 40 marks.
How it helps
Advanced Chemical Thermodynamics and Kinetics by Swayam provides free course material and access to online lectures, a list of books and references which will help understand the course better, and a certificate if the candidate fulfills all the requirements. This certificate can be used by individuals to gain employment or advance their career or education in Chemistry.
The enrollment for the course is closed right now. Candidates need to visit the official Swayam website to get notified of the latest updates.
Candidates need to score a minimum of 40 marks to get certified. However, it also involves getting 10/25 and 30/75 in assignments and the final exam, respectively. If either of the conditions is not fulfilled, the candidate will not be certified.
No, only an e-certificate will be provided.
The course will be taught by Prof. Arijit Kumar De from IISER Mohali.
No, the final exam will be offline.
Courses of your interest
The Brochure has been downloaded and sent to your registered email ID successfully.
Brochure has been downloaded.