WHAT IS CIVIL AND STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING ?
Civil and Structural Engineering is a specialization of the broad domain of Civil Engineering. It can be studied as a separate discipline as well. Civil and Structural Engineering deals with the analysis and design of structures. They include buildings, bridges, towers, flyovers, tunnels, offshore structures like oil and gas fields in the sea, aerostructure and other structures that support or resists the load. Civil and structural engineers design buildings and non-building structures or machinery, equipment, vehicles etc. BE/B.Tech in Civil and Structural Engineering is a 4-year program. Structural engineers take into consideration the required strength and stability of structures. Structural engineering design utilizes a number of simple structural elements to build complex structural systems. One can pursue an M.Tech in Civil and Structural Engineering after BE/B.Tech.Expand
- For UG: Candidates must have passed 10+2 with minimum qualifying marks in aggregate with Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics as core subjects. Independent entrance tests for this programme are also held by the various state, central, and private universities which mostly require 50% as the prerequisite to appear for the test.
- For PG: Candidates must hold a degree in Bachelor of Engineering/B.Tech along with a good score in entrance tests held for PG programme held by the various state, central, and private universities.
SCOPE OF CIVIL AND STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING
- Structural engineers primarily deal with the design of structures and calculate the loads and stresses of the structure to be built.
- They also test the quality and strength delivered by a range of building materials and understand how to incorporate support beams, columns, and foundations.
- Before work can begin, structural engineers are involved in the investigation and survey of build sites to determine the suitability of the earth for the requirements of the upcoming project.
- They also coordinate and consult with other members of their projects, including engineers, environmental scientists, and architects.
Some of the job profiles for Civil and Structural Engineers are as follows:
Director of Public Works
- Aseismic Design of Structures
- Disaster resistant structures
- Finite Element Analysis
- Maintenance and Rehabilitation of Structures
- Matrix Computer Methods of Structural Analysis
- Soil Structure Interaction
- Steel structures
- Structural Dynamics
- Theory of Elasticity and Plasticity
- Jindal Steel and Power Ltd.
- Larsen and Toubro
- Reliance Infrastructure