Welcome to the R Programming Environment
The R Programming Environment
Dive into the basics of using an R programming language to make valuable contributions in the data science setting by enrolling for this course.
Medium of instructions English
Mode of learning Self study
Mode of Delivery Video and Text Based
We are witnessing and adapting to the fourth industrial revolution, Industry 4.0, powered by Big Data and AI. At the global level, data integration has become highly essential for organisations and businesses to achieve global competitiveness. With the prevalence of Big Data all around, it becomes highly relevant to explore the underlying information and reap optimum rewards. In this scenario, data science and analytics enable decision-makers and business leaders to understand, manage and utilise data effectively.
R is a free, open-source programming language that is widely used by data scientists and analysts for developing software and applications in a data science setting. R offers tools and techniques for data analysis, statistical computations and data visualisation. R is available to use on various operating systems and is widely recognised for its extensibility, which allows developers to develop and distribute their own software as add-on packages. These features make R programming an ideal choice for data science experts and data analysts to utilise R in a variety of fields and areas.
The R Programming Environment online certificate course offered by Johns Hopkins University via the Coursera platform aims at providing useful knowledge of R Programming Language to data scientists, data analysts and data science experts to efficiently work in data science settings. This 100% online programme is of intermediate level and the first course in the Mastering Software Development in R specialisation.
- Offered by Johns Hopkins University through Coursera
- Learning through 100% online mode
- Approximately 27 hours of videos and readings
- Flexible learning and deadline scheduling
- Interaction with top instructors
- The option of 7-day Free Trial and Financial Aid
- English, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish and French subtitles
- Shareable certificate for online profile/CV
- Practice exercises
Course and certificate fees
certificate providing authority
Who it is for
The R Programming Environment online certification course is designed for:
- Data analysts aspiring to master basic software skills in their regular work
- Data mining experts wanting to scale programming and developing skills using R
- Data scientists seeking to advance in their career as data science experts
- Professionals and individuals working in data science team or developers’ community
Certification Qualifying Details
To qualify for certification, participants of this certificate course are required to complete the course work including passing all the graded assignments. Such assignments can be in the form of quizzes or other programming assignments as applicable.
What you will learn
Upon completion of this certification programme, participants will be able to:
- Read data in R and understand the basics of R
- Display skills in managing complex data, developing data visualisations and build R packages
- Manipulate data using tidyverse and ggplot2
- Get exposure to new practices in software development
- Efficiently deal with regular and text expressions using R packages and tools
- Diagnose problems and find solutions while dealing with large datasets
- Use broad range of data sources to create tidy datasets
To enroll in The R Programming Environment online certificate programme, the participants are required to follow the below-mentioned steps.
Step 1: Visit the course page.
Step 2: Click on “Enroll for Free”.
Step 3: Use your Google or Email credentials to log in or sign up.
Step 4: Choose between “5-Course Specialisation” or “Coursera Plus” options.
Step 5: By clicking on “5-Course Specialisation”, candidates will get access to course content (videos) and graded assignments (quizzes) in the Mastering Software Development in R Specialisation, including the R Programming Environment course. Applicants will be eligible for a 7-day free trial for the course, after which, the monthly charges will be applicable.
Step 6: In the Coursera Plus option, applicants will get access to more than 3000 courses, including the R Programming Environment course. In this option too, applicants will be eligible for a 7-day free trial, after which, monthly charges of the Coursera Plus plan will be applicable. Other benefits of Coursera Plus will include:
- Guided projects
- Varied specialisations
- Flexibility in learning
- Less spending on taking multiple courses
- Unlimited professional certificates
Step 7: By clicking on the ‘Audit the single course’ link, applicants will be able to browse through the whole course, barring the graded assignments.
Step 8: Select the option of your choice and start the 7-day free trial or audit the course.
Basic R Language
- Swirl Assignments
- Lesson Introduction
- Course Textbook: Mastering Software Development in R
- Creating Vectors
- Mixing Objects
- Explicit Coercion
- Missing Values
- Data Frames
- Flat files online
- The Importance of Tidy Data
- Reading Tabular Data with the readr Package
- Scraping web data
- Reading Web-Based Data
- Requesting data through a web API
- Parsing JSON, XML, or HTML data
- The “Tidyverse”
- Basic Data Manipulation
- Selecting and filtering data
- Summarizing data
- Spreading and gathering data
- Working with Dates, Times, Time Zones
- Adding, changing, or renaming columns
- Pulling out date and time elements
- Merging datasets
- Working with time zones
- Converting to a date or date-time class
Text Processing, Regular Expression, & Physical Memory
- Regular Expressions
- Text Processing and Regular Expressions
- RegEx Functions in R
- The Role of Physical Memory
- Text Manipulation Functions in R
- Internal Memory Management in R
- Back of the Envelope Calculations
- The stringr Package
- Quiz Instructions
- Asking for Help
- Diagnosing Problems
- In-memory strategies
- Working with Large Datasets
- Out-of-memory strategies
- How to Google Your Way Out of a Jam
Financial aid/ sponsorship is available for this course by Coursera. To avail of this, applicants will be required to follow the below-mentioned steps.
- Use a computer to open the course homepage and click on the ‘Financial aid available’ link on the left.
- Log in or sign up using the preferred credentials.
- Fill the online application form for financial aid by entering the required details. Preferably, draft your application in more than 150 words to avoid rejection.
- While the application is being reviewed by Coursera, you can begin the course through audit mode.
- You will be notified via email from Coursera regarding application status as being accepted or rejected.
- You will be directly enrolled in the course if Coursera has accepted your application.
- To unenroll from the course, you will have 2 weeks’ time after your application has been accepted.
Participants need to complete assignments such as quizzes and other programming assignments that are included in the course to get the course certificate of completion from Coursera. The course has flexible deadlines, which enables participants to save their progress. Participants will get a shareable Certificate from Coursera only after completing and passing all the required graded assignments.
How it helps
Digitalisation has enabled simplification of the process and optimization of performance and results. Businesses are dealing with structured and unstructured data, which has resulted in a growing demand for data scientists and data analysts. These data scientists and analysts prefer to use the R programming language to work in a data science setting. The R language has a plethora of features which are extremely useful for statistical computation, data visualisation and analysis. This online certification course will benefit the participants with the dissemination of knowledge and information to work on data science software and applications using the R programming language.
The global digital scenario has facilitated a huge demand for data science professionals and experts. In view of this, participants of the R Programming Environment course will have the perfect opportunity to advance their careers in data science and realize their dreams by gaining fluency in R console and work with a broad range of data sources. The participants will be benefitted by learning basic concepts of R, handling data science tasks and processes as well as manipulate vast datasets. The knowledge imparted in this course will assist the participants in making use of R for software development to yield effective data science results.
A widely used language for programming, R has gained immense significance because of its extensibility, versatility and unique features which enables data science professionals to efficiently build software and applications which benefit a broad range of business areas and industry sectors. This online certification programme will benefit the participants by making them gain familiarity with software development skills and scale their programming skills using R; thereby contributing to enhancing business operations and functions globally.
Coursera is offering a 7-day free trial to applicants enrolling for the programme. During the free-trial, participants will have access to all the course readings and practice exercises. Upon completion of the free trial, participants will have to continue the course by paying monthly charges.
You will be required to clear all the coursework falling under ‘graded assignments’ in order to earn the course certificate. Quizzes and other applicable assignments will form part of these graded assignments.
Audit this single course option will enable the applicants to just access the contents of the course and not the graded assignments required to earn a course certificate.
Financial aid is available to those participants not able to afford the course fees. To avail of financial aid, the applicant will have to submit an online application. Coursera will review the application and notify whether the applicant is eligible for financial aid or not.
The electronic certificate issued by Coursera can be accessed from your ‘accomplishments’ page and can be shared via URL or printed. No hard copy of the certificate will be issued by Coursera.
Unity Technologies via Coursera
Unity Technologies via Coursera
Raspberry Pi Foundation via Futurelearn
University of Texas, Austin via Edx
University of Texas, Austin via Edx
Johns Hopkins via Coursera
CU Denver via Coursera
UC Santa Cruz via Coursera
UC San Diego via Coursera
UCI Irvine via Coursera
Courses of your interest
More Courses by Johns Hopkins
The Brochure has been downloaded and sent to your registered email ID successfully.
Brochure has been downloaded.