- Salient features of DNA and RNA
- Watson & crick DNA model
- Structural organization of DNA
- DNA estimation
Medium of instructions English
Mode of learning Self study
Mode of Delivery Video and Text Based
number of course credit 2
The course on Molecular Biology talks about all the important aspects that come under Molecular Biology and gives a brief understanding of Nucleic acid including its models of RNA and DNA along with its salient features.
This course is provided by Swayam, an initiation started by the Indian government. The main areas covered under this course are the principal molecular events of a cell including Translation, DNA replication and Transcription in eukaryotic and in prokaryotic organisms.
It will also cover Processing of Eukaryotic RNA covering the aspects of Introns, Split genes, Splicing Mechanisms Exons, and RNA Editing and post Transcriptional Modifications. The students will get an in-depth understanding regarding the concepts of DNA repair mechanisms Eukaryotic and Prokaryotic transcriptional regulation and mechanism of Gene Silencing.
This course will also lightly touch the concepts of RNA Interference, Ribo-switches, siRNA and miRNA under different types of regulatory RNAs. The students will gain additional understanding of other aspects of molecular biology in the supplementary study material.
Molecular Biology is mainly for the students studying in the area of Zoology either in University or College according to UGC approved syllabus. It is also useful for students studying in other areas of Biological Science such as Biomedical Technology, Genetics, Bioinformatics, Pharmaceutical Sciences, Forensic Science, Biotechnology, Life-Science, Microbiology, Clinical Research, Biochemistry, Paramedical and Medical field.
- Online course
- Duration, of course, is 8 weeks
- 2 credit course
- Curriculum approved by UGC
- CBCS approved Syllabus of Zoology
- Knowledgeable faculty
- Study material
- Online lectures
- Self-assessment tests
- Discussion forum
Course and certificate fees
The fee details regarding the course is:
The course is offered for free to the candidates.
Fee details for Molecular Biology
certificate providing authority
Who it is for
The course Molecular Biology is for the candidates given below:
- Zoology students at University level or College level.
- Students from other biological science branches such as Biomedical Technology, Life-Science, Bioinformatics, Pharmaceutical Sciences, Biotechnology, Medical Science, Biochemistry, Cancer Biology, Forensic Science, Genetics, Cancer Biology, Paramedical fields, Microbiology, Clinical Research, and Environmental Science.
The candidates in their 10+2 should have a subject on Biological Science and passed it with a minimum of 55% and/or should be a Zoology student in their under graduation.
Certification Qualifying Details
The candidates should successfully complete the MOOCs and pass their proctored exam at the end of the course.
What you will learn
After the completion of this course the candidates will be well versed with the concepts given below:
- Learn about the Nucleic acids, their features, the structural organisation of DNA and its estimation, Watson and Crick DNA model.
- Get in-depth knowledge of molecular biology including Translation and Transcription in Eukaryotes and Prokaryotes, along with DNA replication.
- Gain a detailed understanding of transcription regulation with the example of tryptophan operon and lac operon in eukaryotic and prokaryotic organisms with the concepts of gene silencing.
- Deep understanding regarding Post Transcriptional Modification and the process of Eukaryotic RNA in the learners.
- Understand the mechanisms of DNA repair.
- Get a glimpse of regulatory RNAs types by learning about RNA Interference, siRNA, Ribo-switches, and miRNA.
- Understand the Sequence analysis and Genome information along with Mutagenicity and Mutagens
- Learn about DNA- qualitative estimates and gain knowledge regarding DNA isolation.
Filling the form
The candidates looking for enrolling to the course Molecular Biology must follow the below given steps:
Step 1: Visit the link https://onlinecourses.swayam2.ac.in/cec20_ma13/preview.
Step 2: The candidates should register themselves and login in using this detail.
Step 3: After logging in to the website the candidates should wait till the registration process begins.
- Eukaryotic DNA replication
- The central dogma of molecular biology
- Prokaryotic DNA replication
- Prokaryotic & eukaryotic transcription
- Post translational modifications & protein synthesis inhibitors
- Prokaryotic translation
- Genetic Code & Wobble hypothesis
- Eukaryotic translation
Post transcriptional modifications and processing of eukaryotic RNA
- Eukaryotic post transcriptional modifications & RNA processing
- Gene regulation in prokaryotes & eukaryotes
DNA Repair Mechanism
- Types of regulatory RNAs
Supplementary study material
- Mutagens and mutagenicity
- DNA isolation
- Genome information & sequence analysis
- Qualitative estimation of DNA
How it helps
The course knowledge the candidates in every essential concept under Molecular Biology and gives an overview of Nucleic acid, it includes DNA, RNA proteins and other macromolecules involved in genetic information and cell function, characteristically making use of advanced tools and techniques of separation, manipulation, imaging and analysis. This will act as an advantageous opportunity for the candidates to inculcate professional skills in the field of Molecular Biology.
This course will benefit candidates studying Zoology or other branches of biological sciences such as Biotechnology, Biomedical Technology, Clinical Research, Forensic Science, Cancer Biology, Pharmaceutical Sciences, Biochemistry, Bioinformatics, Environmental Science, Genetics, and such other fields to gain in-depth knowledge in the field of molecular biology.
The candidate will have to take self-assessed quizzes and tests which will help in keeping a track on the progress and the candidates can position where he/she is lagging behind and helps them get back on track.
After completing the course, the students will earn 2 credit points which will be transferred to the candidate’s credit approving university and obtain a certificate from the Ministry of Human Resource and Development (MHRD), Government of India.
Swayam is a Government initiated the programme with an objective to provide the best learning resources to everyone even to the most disadvantaged.
The courses under Swayam are created in such a way that they are interactive and are developed by top teachers in India. These well-developed courses are available for free of cost.
The candidates must pass 10+2 with a subject in Biological Science and with a minimum 55% grades.
The candidates will have to use the online discussion forum to clear any doubts regarding the course content with the course faculty.
The course is free but to get the certification the candidates must take the proctor for which they must pay a certain amount of fee.
The course is delivered using online videos, study materials prepared, audio-video, discussion forum that is interactive, and quizzes and tests which are self-assessed.
The faculty have provided various references and web links which are provided for each module, the candidates can use as the course study material for understanding the concepts.
After the candidates successfully complete the course, they will be rewarded with the course credit certificate by the government of India.
Yes, the candidates who have studied a subject of biological science in their 10+2 or are studying Zoology in university or college can apply for this course.
No, the proctored exam will not be conducted online, the candidates will have to take the test in the designated centre and in-person.