- Introduction: What is post-colonialism?
- Commonwealth Literature
- Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad
- Colonial Discourse Analysis by Michel Foucault
- Colonial Discourse Analysis by Edward Said
Medium of instructions English
Mode of learning Self study
Mode of Delivery Video and Text Based
number of course credit 1
The Postcolonial Literature online programme is a free elective course offered by Swayam in partnership with IIT Kanpur. The course is aimed towards postgraduate English literature students from any college or university. The robust course syllabus involves various crucial literary texts that emerged in the 1980s by significant writers such as Raja Rao, Chinua Achebe, Joseph Conrad, Jhumpa Lahiri and some literary critics.
Furthermore, the Postcolonial Literature certification falls under the English studies and Humanities and Social Sciences categories. The elective course will run for four weeks and help you navigate some complex concepts and theories that are a part of postcolonial literature. Also, the programme is curated by IIT Kanpur and is delivered by its department of English Literature.
At the end of the Postcolonial Literature certification course, you will have a thorough understanding of postcolonial studies and the rich texts that left their literary imprints on the history of world literature.
- Humanities and Social Sciences
- Free elective programme
- Course in English Studies
- Offline certification exam
- PG-level difficulty
- Offered by IIT Kanpur
- Short-term programme
- Four-week duration
- Verified e-certificate
- AICTE approved programme
- Weekly Assignments
- Offered by iit kanpur
- Humanities and social sciences
- Free enrolment
- Short term course
- Ongoing course
- Industry support
- Video lectures
- Regular weekly assignments
- English literature
- Fdp course
- Aicte approved
- Pg programme
Course and certificate fees
Type of course
- The Postcolonial Literature certification programme is free to enroll in and only includes a proctored exam fee for those who want the course certificate.
Postcolonial Literature fee structure
Postcolonial Literature: Enrolment only
Postcolonial Literature (Certification exam fee)
certificate providing authority
To earn the Postcolonial Literature certificate, you must fulfil a few requirements. First, you need to have an average assignment score of 10/25, which you can get only by submitting all four assignments. Next, you must attend the proctored exam and score a minimum of 30/75. Lastly, both these scores will be added to obtain your final score, which must be above 40/100.
What you will learn
Through the Postcolonial Literature programme by Swayam you get an introduction to the following concepts and texts:
- Introduction to post-colonialism
- Analysis of colonial discourse through the works of Foucault and Edward Said
- The African perspective of colonialism through Chinua Achebe’s texts
- In-depth study of Raja Rao’s Kanthapura
- Diasporic literature and theories
- Commonwealth literature
Who it is for
Postcolonial Literature by Swayam is mainly intended for students of English literature at the postgraduate or MA level.
Step-I: Find Swayam’s Postcolonial Literature certification course web page here: https://onlinecourses.nptel.ac.in/noc21_hs48/preview.
Step-II: Access the Sign-in/Register option at the top corner of the page, and you will be redirected to another portal.
Step-III: Now, you must sign up for a Swayam account or log in through any existing Facebook/Google/Microsoft social IDs.
Step-IV: To complete the process, enter a username, password and email address, and you can start learning.
Filling the form
Swayam’s Postcolonial Literature online programme doesn’t include any application forms. However, you must either sign up to the Swayam learning platform using your active email address or login using an existing Microsoft/Google/Facebook ID. Share the necessary personal details such as email address, username, password to complete the enrolment process.
- Colonialism: The African Perspective
- Chinua Achebe’s Things Fall Apart (I)
- Chinua Achebe’s Things Fall Apart (II)
- Decolonisation and the Discourse of Nationalism: The Context of India
- Sonnets of Henry Derozio
- Raja Rao’s Kanthapura (I)
- Raja Rao’s Kanthapura (II)
- Critics of Nationalism: Rabindranath Tagore and Frantz Fanon
- Homi Bhabha and the concept of cultural hybridity
- Caribbean Poetry: Derek Walcott
- Diasporic literature: Selections from Jhumpa Lahiri’s Interpreter of Maladies
- Gayatri Spivak: Answering the question “Can the Subaltern Speak?”
- Mahasweta Devi Pterodactyl I
- Mahasweta Devi Pterodactyl II
- Conclusion: Postcolonial Futures
The Postcolonial Literature certification by Swayam involves an offline certification exam at the end of the modules. The exam determines whether a person can get the certificate and it holds 75% weightage in the final score. The exam will be held on 21 Mar 2021, and you will get all other details such as timings and exam centres after you submit the form and the registration link is released.
How it helps
The Postcolonial Literature course benefits students who are pursuing English literature at the MA level. The programme has been curated by IIT Kanpur and covers the main concepts and literary texts that come under the broad subject of postcolonial literature.
Applicants can enroll for free and learn from the faculty of IIT Kanpur over the course of four weeks. After completing the course, one can obtain a Postcolonial Literature certificate to showcase your knowledge and add to your CV.
Dr Sayan Chattopadhyay
Yes, you can get the whole list of books and references on the course page.
Yes, the Postcolonial Literature certification is a part of the Humanities and Social Sciences subject category.
No, you don’t have to make any payment at the time of enrollment. If you wish to register for the exam, you will have to submit the online form at the end of the course.
You must submit a total of four assignments during the course.
Postcolonial Literature by Swayam includes industry support from academic institutions and universities that teach courses on South Asian studies and postcolonialism.
The Brochure has been downloaded and sent to your registered email ID successfully.
Brochure has been downloaded.
Sign In/Sign Up
We endeavor to keep you informed and help you choose the right Career path. Sign in and access our resources on Exams, Study Material, Counseling, Colleges etc.