- Historical review
- Introduction to petroleum engineering
- Geographical distribution of petroleum
- Oil pricing
- Industry structure
- Challenges and trends in the petroleum industry
Introduction to Petroleum Engineering
Begin your journey in the field of petroleum engineering by joining the Introduction to Petroleum Engineering online course by Coursera.
Medium of instructions English
Mode of learning Self study
Mode of Delivery Video and Text Based
The Introduction to Petroleum Engineering certification course, delivered and created by Tomsk Polytechnic University, is a beginner-level, self-paced study in petroleum engineering. The programme helps you develop an understanding of the field life cycle. Moreover, this 100% online course will also teach you how to undertake an interdisciplinary approach to petroleum field operations.
In the Introduction to Petroleum Engineering online course, you will learn concepts like oil and gas production, petroleum deposit drainage, reservoir energy and forces, well operation techniques, development systems, and much more. Basics of drilling engineering will also be discussed, along with major exploration techniques.
At the end of the Introduction to Petroleum Engineering, you will be adept in reservoir engineering, production technology, drilling, etc. The programme takes approximately 27 hours to complete. Moreover, Coursera allows you to adjust deadlines as per your convenience. Konstantin Maksyutin and Liubov Vorobyeva will be your instructors.
- It takes approximately 27 hours to complete
- 8-week course
- Delivered in English
- Shareable certificate
- Offered by Tomsk Polytechnic University
- 100% online training
- Subtitles available in English
- Beginner-level course
- In-depth curriculum
- No prerequisites
- English subtitles
- English videos
- Shareable completion certificate
- Beginner-level training
Course and certificate fees
Type of course
Introduction to Petroleum Engineering – Audit only
Introduction to Petroleum Engineering – Certificate
certificate providing authority
Who it is for
The Introduction to Petroleum Engineering training is open to all interested individuals. However, the course is primarily developed for:
- High school students planning a career in the petroleum industry
- Graduates holding Engineering or B.Sc degrees looking for further training options
- Petroleum company professionals who have a non-petroleum educational background and are not directly involved in field development and exploration (management, marketing, HR, finance, etc.) but require a primer in the petroleum industry.
What you will learn
Upon the completion of the Introduction to Petroleum Engineering syllabus, you will be able to:
- Apply and analyse theoretical knowledge in the area of reservoir engineering, petroleum geology, and production technology
- Understand the use cases petrochemical products
- Describe major production techniques exploration processes
- Distinguish between major enhanced gas and oil recovery techniques
- Reach the Introduction to Petroleum Engineering course page through the official link.
- Select the ‘Enrol for Free’ button upon landing on the page. A signup window will pop up.
- Sign in using your existing Google or Facebook account. Or, create a new account using your email address and click on the ‘Join for Free’ button.
- Choose between the paid and the free audit option. If you choose the paid option, you will be required to pay the certification fee. With the audit option, you’ll be enrolled directly.
Filling the form
No application form needs to be submitted to join the Introduction to Petroleum Engineering online programme. Just visit Coursera’s website and sign up for a new account to enrol. You only need to provide your name and email ID for registration.
Week 1 Introduction: Petroleum in our life
Week 2 Petroleum Geology
- Classification and structure of sedimentary rocks
- Reservoir properties
- Rock cycle
- How petroleum fields are formed
- Rock properties
- Fluid properties
- Introduction. Geology and geologists
Week 3 Exploration Geophysics. Well Logging. Well Testing
- Seismic surveys
- Production geology
- SP logging method
- Well testing
- Well logging
- Seismic methods
Week 4 Reservoir Engineering
- Oil recovery methods
- Secondary recovery
- Reservoir simulation
- The life cycle of an oil field
- Pressure maintenance
- Reservoir engineering
Week 5 Drilling
- Drilling engineering: introduction and history of drilling
- Well cementing. Well completion
- Drilling complications
- Circulation system
- Drilling equipment
- Drilling technology
- Concepts and terms
Week 6 Production Technology
- Separate production
- Gas well operation
- Electrical submersible pumps
- Pumps used on oil wells
- Gas lift
- Open flow
- Oil production and well operation
- Petroleum production technology
Week 7 Enhanced Recovery Techniques
- Stimulation design and implementation
- Acid treatment
- Formation damage
- Stimulation methods. Hydraulic fracturing
- Introduction to stimulation operations
- Test 7
- Stimulation methods
- Stimulation candidate well selection
Week 8 Exam
You can apply for Coursera’s financial aid to access the Introduction to Petroleum Engineering course. Just click on the ‘financial aid available’ link beside the enrol option on the top of the course page. You’ll need to fill a small application form by providing details about your career goals, educational qualifications, and income. After submitting the form, it’ll take 10-15 days for Coursera to get in touch with you regarding approval.
How it helps
The Introduction to Petroleum Engineering programme is a self-paced online training. You can access the course contents at your convenience without worrying about deadlines.
Moreover, you can also opt for the Introduction to Petroleum Engineering certificate after finishing the course. This e-certificate will serve as a great addition to your resume and LinkedIn profile.
Tomsk Polytechnic University offers this programme.
The Introduction to Petroleum Engineering certificate costs Rs. 2,127.
Yes, you can access the Introduction to Petroleum Engineering online course for free through the audit option.
It will take you approximately 27 hours to complete the course.
Yes, you can apply for financial aid on Coursera’s website to get the certificate for free.
Courses of your interest
The Brochure has been downloaded and sent to your registered email ID successfully.
Brochure has been downloaded.