- Fees: ₹ 4,200
What is Mass Communication
Mass Communication is generally termed as the very important process via which a message is communicated to large segments of people using mass media. Mass communication is usually used to distribute a similar message to a big group of the population that have means to use that form of mass media.
Journalism, advertising, and print media are the major examples of mass communication. There are two kinds of courses available for aspiring students in mass communication, an undergraduate degree and a postgraduate degree.
The undergraduate degree is Bachelor of Arts in Mass Communication (BA Mass Comm.) and the postgraduate degree in Master of Arts in Mass Communication (MA Mass Comm.).
Both courses focus on familiarizing students with the practical and theoretical aspects of mass communication.
Eligibility Criteria (UG & PG) of Mass Communication
If an aspiring student needs to be eligible for admission in the Bachelor of Arts in Mass Communication (BA Mass Comm.) course, he or she should fulfil the following eligibility criteria:
- The candidate must have completed Senior Secondary/ 10+2 Standard from a recognized university.
- The candidate must have a minimum aggregate percentage of 50% at the 10+2 level.
If an aspiring student needs to be eligible for admission in the Master of Arts in Mass Communication (MA Mass Comm.) course, he or she should fulfil the following eligibility criteria: -
- The candidate must hold a Bachelor’s degree in any stream from a recognized university.
- The candidate must have a minimum aggregate percentage of 50% at the graduation level.
Browse Mass Communication Colleges by Location
|Mass Communication Colleges in Mumbai||Mass Communication Colleges in Bangalore|
|Mass Communication Colleges in Chandigarh|
Entrance Exams for Mass Communication Courses
2. TANCET: The Tamil Nadu Common Entrance Test (TANCET) is conducted jointly by the Tamil Nadu government and Anna University for students who are seeking admission in suitable courses in the colleges in the state of Tamil Nadu.
3. Merit-based admissions: Many recognized colleges offer admissions to students based on their merit and performance at the senior secondary level. Some universities might even give scholarships to students based on their performance.
Scope of Mass Communication in India and Abroad
Mass communication has a great scope and is a great way for students to start their careers. Mass communication opens up multiple avenues for a student as it allows students to take up very diverse jobs. After doing a BA in Mass Communication, the student can explore these job opportunities such as photography, news editing, journalism or radio jockeying. He or she could even go for higher education and pursue a Masters in this field. Completing the master’s degree improves the employability of the student and opens up job opportunities at higher positions.
Course Fees Mass Communication
|Minimum Fees||Maximum Fees|
The following subjects are taught to students when they study mass communication: -
1. Aesthetics and Visual Communication
4. Audio-Visual Communication
5. Camera and Lighting
6. Feature Writing
7. Audiography and Music
8. News Reporting and Editing
9. Marketing and Mass Communication
Careers in Mass Communication
Mass Communication opens up a lot of job opportunities, and most of these opportunities are very practical jobs in nature. If a person is interested in doing a practical job, he or she can pursue mass communication. This field is also for those who want to act as a bridge which connects two completely different subsets of people also sometimes regarded as the mirror of the society. Mass communicators are highly sought after by companies to promote their products/services, making this field a good career option.
Every industry has seen changes in the past few years. The mass communication industry has also seen a lot of changes. The upcoming trends in mass communication and journalism are: -
1. Multiple Platforms – Communications on multiple platforms has become very important as recently, digital platforms such as social media have been gaining a lot of popularity. A person working in mass communication must know how to balance digital and non-digital platforms.
2. Artificial Intelligence – Artificial Intelligence has become immensely popular in the last couple of years and has had an impact on this industry too. Machines can be programmed to learn the audience psychology, which makes it a big asset in this industry.
3. Podcasts – Podcasts are digital audio episodes. They have been gaining a lot of popularity and have especially been exponentially popular since that advent of coronavirus in both audio and video forms.
Browse mass communication certification courses
|BA Journalism and Mass Communication||MA Journalism and Mass Communication|
View complete list of mass communication certification courses
Job Profiles and Top Recruiters
Mass Communication Job Profile
The job profiles of the people that graduate from mass communication are mentioned below: -
A photographer can work for an organization, have a freelance job or have his own business. Photographers click and modify professional-grade photographs.
The job of a journalist is to write about current affairs in his or her chosen field in newspapers, magazines, for news channels or even online on blogs.
News Anchors and News editors work for news channels and news networks. They work on filtering the content to be presented to the public and work as the face of that news channel/ network.
Advertisers work with marketing teams of a company to attract public attention that is much needed towards the company.
Radio jockeys work on radio stations. They play songs and work out new ways to improve the customer engagement of the radio station.
Mass Communication is a very sought-after course, and many reputed organizations look for mass communication graduates. The top recruiters that hire mass communication professionals are: -
1. Time Network
2. Zee Network
3. The Hindu
4. Door Darshan
5. All India Radio
6. India Today
8. Republic Television Network
There are plenty of job profiles in the field of Mass Communication. The average salaries of the professionals that work in this field are mentioned below: -
Average salary (in Rs.)
Rs. 3 Lakhs p.a. (Approx.)
Rs. 4 Lakhs p.a. (Approx.)
News Editor Anchor
Rs. 4 Lakhs p.a. (Approx.)
Rs. 4.5 Lakhs p.a. (Approx.)
Rs. 3.6 Lakhs p.a. (Approx.)
Required Skillset for Mass Communication
Certain unique specific skills are required while doing each job. The skills required in a person when he or she is looking to pursue mass communication are: -
1. Open-Mindedness – A person willing to pursue mass communication must have an open and objective mindset. As a journalist, a person mustn't have a preoccupied mind frame. This helps him or her to do the job in a much better way.
2. Persistence – Doing a mass communication job is a very difficult job and comes with its fair share of complexities. A person needs to have a persistent nature to overcome the problems he or she might face and perform the job well.
3. Research skills – A person seeking a mass communication job must have excellent research skills. The jobs in this area require a lot of research to gather the full knowledge about the subject.
4. Self-Promotion – Self-Promotion is the ability of a person to advertise himself or herself. The person must have an engaging presence and good story-telling capabilities. Self-Promotion is an essential skill required in this field.
Popular Online Medi Courses and Certifications
Course Curriculum for Mass Communication
There are mainly two Mass Communication courses. Bachelor of Arts in Mass Communication (BA Mass Comm.) is a three- year undergraduate program which is specially designed to give students the basic knowledge of mass communication and media. The three years in this course are divided into six semesters of six months each. The second course, Master of Arts in Mass Communication (MA Mass Comm.) is a two- year postgraduate program which is designed to give students a deep knowledge about the world of journalism, mass media and mass communication. The two years in this course are divided into four semesters.
Students also liked
Popular Mass Communication Entrance Exams in India
Popular Mass Communication Colleges in India VIEW ALL
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Question: What are the top Bachelor of Arts in Mass Communication (BA Mass Comm.) colleges in India?
Question: What are the top Masters in Mass Communication colleges in India?
The top Bachelor of Arts in Mass Communication (BA Mass Comm.) colleges in India are: -
- Aligarh Muslim University, Uttar Pradesh
- Indian Institute of Mass Communication (IIMC), Delhi
- Jamia Millia Islamia, Delhi
- St. Xavier’s University, Kolkata
- Symbiosis Center of Media and Communication, Pune
Question: What is the average fee of a Bachelor of Arts in Mass Communication (BA Mass Comm.) course?
The average fee of a Bachelor of Arts in Mass Communication (BA Mass Comm.) course can range from about Rs. 25,000 to about Rs. 2,00,000.
Question: What is the average fee of a Masters of Arts in Mass Communication (MA Mass Comm.) course?
The average fee of a Masters of Arts in Mass Communication (MA Mass Comm.) course can range from about Rs. 15,000 to about Rs. 1,50,000.
Question: What are the best Mass Communication colleges abroad?
The best Mass Communication colleges abroad are: -
- New York University, United States of America
- Macromedia University of Applied Sciences, Germany
- University of Oxford, United Kingdom
- The University of California Berkeley, United States of America
- University of Toronto, Canada
Questions related to Mass Communication
I complete my graduation in 2019. Can I do mass communication course?
YES. Courses in mass communication and journalism that specify "Bachelor" or "Master" are equal to graduation or post-graduation
After graduation, the Mass Communication course is ideal for you if you enjoy interacting with people and have recently passed your last college exam. The mass communication education will prepare you to work as a news anchor, news editor, and earn a significant salary.
if in graduation my course is BA programme (history+english)so can i do my masters with mass communication?
Yes, you are eligible for studying Masters i. Mass Communication course as you have completed BA course in History and English. Candidates are required to have minimum Bachelor's degree in relevant stream from a recognised College or University.
Best Colleges offers Masters in Mass Communication course are listed below.
GGSIPU - Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University
Chitkara School of Mass Communication, Chandigarh
Mahatma Gandhi Mission College of Journalism and Mass Communication
Sharda University, Noida
Indian Institute of Journalism and New Media, Bangalore
Manipal School of Communication, Manipal
School of Liberal Studies, Pandit Deendayal Energy University, Gandhinagar
BJB Autonomous College, Bhubaneswar
Farook College, Kozhikode
St Joseph's College, Bangalore
MCM DAV College for Women, Chandigarh
RCAS Coimbatore - Rathinam College of Arts and Science
OUCW KOTI - Osmania University College For Women
Xavier Institute of Communications, Mumbai
Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi
To get more information about MA Mass Communication Colleges in India, go through below given link.
I hope this information was helpful to you.
B.A animation, multimedia or mass communication available colleges in Ernakulam
B. A Animation, Multimedia or Mass Communication Colleges in Ernakulam are listed below.
MESCM-MES College Marampally
Yeldo Mar Baselios College: School of Media & Design, Kothamangalam
Nicholson'Z Professional Media Institute, Kochi
CET College of Management, Science and Technology, Ernakulam
Amrita School of Arts and Sciences, Edappally
Kerala Cartoon Academy
Sacred Heart College, Ernakulam
Westford Institute of Film Technology
Neo Film and Broadcasting School
Candidates must have passed minimum 10+2 or equivalent exam in any stream from a recognised Board or College.
May this information was helpful to you.
Best of Luck!!
mass communication course college for for student
List of some of the colleges for mass communication course in India are the following
Asian college of Journalism , Chennai
Indian Institute of Mass Communication, New Delhi
Xavier Institute of Communication
Parul University, Vadodara
Manipal Academy of Higher Education
Savitribai Phule Pune University
Amity School of Communication
Manorama School of Communication
Aligarh Muslim University
Institute of Management Studies
Hope this information will help you
should i complete my degree to do diploma in mass communication?
No, you don't need a degree to pursue a diploma in mass communication
To pursue any journalism and mass communication course diploma programme, you will have to first complete class 12 from a recognized board of education, in any stream.
You are required to score at least 45% to 50% marks in class 12 to be eligible for the undergraduate degree course.
For post-graduate degree and diploma courses you are required to possess a graduation degree and diploma respectively with at least 50% marks.
Hope this helps.