Patent Drafting for Beginners
Join Patent Drafting for Beginners certification course to obtain ample introductory knowledge about patent drafting and how to draft patent specifications.
Medium of instructions English
Mode of learning Self study
Mode of Delivery Video and Text Based
Patents are necessary documentations, but an integral part of them is the patent specifications. These are the paperwork that encompasses a technological invention’s patent rights. These techno-legal documents are established at the interface of law and science and follow stringent guidelines. The Patent Drafting for Beginners online course introduces learners to these fundamentals and paves the way for them to draft such patent specifications by themselves.
The Patent Drafting for Beginners certification syllabus explains patent drafting’s core principles and patent law’s concepts regarding drafting various patents. Through these, the curriculum teaches candidates how patent law relies on preparing patent specifications for satisfying specific requirements, unlike technical writing. This course is primarily for beginners without prior patent drafting experience and imparts valuable insights to get started with this domain.
An FDP programme, the Patent Drafting for Beginners programme, is a joint effort between IIT Madras and Swayam. This NPTEL online course is AICTE-approved, belonging to these diverse categories - ‘Law’, ‘Faculty Domain for Experienced’, ‘Humanities and Social Sciences’ and ‘Patents and Intellectual Property Rights’. Aspirants can also opt for the completion certificate, e-verifiable and attainable, by clearing Swayam’s examination and assignments.
- Multi-category elective programme
- E-verifiable certificates awarded
- AICTE-approved virtual course
- Online lectures and in-person exams
- Four-week FDP curriculum by NPTEL
- Postgraduate/undergraduate learning
- No enrolment criteria
- Ideal for beginners
- IIT Madras’s curation and instructor
- Books and references stated
- Proctored test for certification
- Assessments every week
- Vast industry recognition
- Iit madras’ mentorship
- Aicte-approved syllabus
- E-verified certifications
- Books and references mentioned
- Sample youtube clip for reference
- Nptel’s online learning
- Assignments and term-end test
Course and certificate fees
Type of course
- The Patent Drafting for Beginners online course is free to enrol and hence, has no fees.
- Swayam’s certification exam does require compulsory payment. Students must pay Rs. 1,000 to sign up and attend the test.
Patent Drafting for Beginners course fee structure
Patent Drafting for Beginners - programme only
Patent Drafting for Beginners - programme with an e-verified certificate
certificate providing authority
Who it is for
The Patent Drafting for Beginners course by Swayam welcomes all interested learners who wish to study patent law and specifications.
There are no hard-and-fast criteria for enrolling in the Patent Drafting for Beginners training. Any interested applicant can join the programme. However, undertaking a preparatory course in ‘Patent Law for Engineers and Scientists’ might benefit candidates.
Moreover, the Patent Drafting for Beginners certification depends on the student’s performance in their weekly assessments and Swayam’s proctored test, held offline during term-end. Their scores in these two will determine their curriculum’s final score.
Out of the four programme assignments, 25% of the highest-scoring three will be calculated for the final marks. In the offline test, 75% of the candidate’s acquired score upon 100 will be evaluated for the final score as well.
A 40/100 or higher final score is mandatory, but only by scoring at least 10/25 as the average assessment marks and 30/75 as the exam marking.
Without maintaining these results, candidates cannot get their Patent Drafting for Beginners certificate even after obtaining 40 or more as their final score.
What you will learn
IIT Madras has carefully devised the Patent Drafting for Beginners certification syllabus to familiarise candidates with the necessary topics to understand and draft patent specifications. Thus, completing the modules will make them fluent in these areas:
- How invention solves unsolved problems
- How to draft claims
- The various claim types and arrangements
- All about a patent specification’s structure
- https://onlinecourses.nptel.ac.in/noc21_hs14/preview - Preview the Patent Drafting for Beginners course by Swayam using this link. You will reach the programme’s webpage.
- Once you’re done reading all the course information, use the ‘Sign-in/Register’ button for programme login or enrolment.
- If you have a Swayam account, use its credentials to sign yourself in. If not, start one by entering the on-screen information. You can also use your Microsoft/Google/Facebook ID to log in.
- After providing the required details, you must verify your account for activation. Use the ‘send verification code’ option to do this.
- Swayam will dispatch this code to your registered email address. Access it and fill it in on the portal. Then select ‘create’ to activate and start your Swayam learning ID. When the programme begins, use this to sign in and study.
Filling the form
The Patent Drafting for Beginners programme has an easy application procedure; there’s no signup form. Opening a Swayam account is all you need to do for enrolling. For this, you must provide the required details such as your email and a password and username of choice. Once you verify your account, it will be ready for use.
Invention as a solution to an unsolved Problem
Drafting a Claim
Types and Arrangement of Claims
Structure of the Patent Specification
The Patent Drafting for Beginners certificate requires a compulsory proctored examination that Swayam will conduct at their designated centres across India. Learners can register for this via the registration URL, where they’ll have to submit the online form and pay the required price for applying. This form will display all the examination details, including timings, allotted centres, sessions, etc. Students can select either the morning or the afternoon session for their examination.
How it helps
The Patent Drafting for Beginners certification benefits learners by teaching them the necessary elementary concepts for patent drafting and law. By understanding and implementing these, students can confidently draft patent specifications and move further ahead in this profession.
What’s more, the Patent Drafting for Beginners certificate aids the candidate’s employment-seeking efforts by displaying their verified skills and expertise in this subject. As proof, the certification shows IIT Madras and NPTEL’s logos, alongside the applicant’s name, detailed examination score, and photo.
Yes. The institute’s renowned Professor Feroz Ali will deliver this programme.
The Patent Drafting for Beginners certification course features online lectures. You can also check its website to see the references and books to follow for this training.
Unfortunately, Swayam doesn’t provide hard copies. You can only receive the e-certificate.
No. While the best three will be considered for determining your final marks, you must submit all four of them.
The Patent Drafting for Beginners training is widely-recognised by knowledge-based industries, law firms, LPOs, and related organisations/sectors.
Harvard University, Cambridge via Edx
KU Leuven, Leuven via Edx
Penn via Coursera
Amnesty International via Edx
University of Naples Federico II via Edx
University of Baltimore, Baltimore via Edx
Harvard University, Cambridge via Edx
Harvard University, Cambridge via Edx
GU Washington via Edx
The University of British Columbia, Vancouver via Edx