- Formulating a research question, hypothesis and objectives
- Introduction to health research
- Literature review
Basic course in Biomedical Research- Cycle 3
Enhance your research skills and set up your career as a medical professional by Basic course in Biomedical Research- Cycle 3 Certification Programme by SWAYAM.
Medium of instructions English
Mode of learning Self study
Mode of Delivery Video and Text Based
Basic course in Biomedical Research- Cycle 3 Certification Programme provides a seamless learning opportunity for medical professionals and students. It aims at honing the research skills of teachers and Indian medical postgraduate students in medical institutions. As a fruitful venture between the Board of Governors (BoG) and of the Medical Council of India (MCI), the course has successfully provided learners with a uniform research methodology to aid their research projects. The multidisciplinary nature of the curriculum makes it ideal for a variety of people related to the medical field and research paradigm.
The course is an offering by ICMR-National Institute of Epidemiology, Chennai and sheds light on fundamental concepts in research methodology. Through 23 lectures, teachers deal with topics like bio-statistical and epidemiological considerations in designing a research study, the conceptualisation of a research study, conducting and planning a research study, publication ethics and writing a research protocol.
Candidates are provided valuable insights through video modules which are well explained through presentation slides and industry-relevant examples. This course, however, explains the different steps and concepts involved in Health Research using a single example throughout. Experienced instructors make learning a worthwhile experience.
- Course duration spanning over sixteen weeks
- Certification from Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India
- Postgraduate level curriculum
- Course delivery from experts
- Multidisciplinary course orientation
- Certification provided by Swayam
- Video lecture
- Presentation slides
- Reading material
- Discussion forum
Course and certificate fees
- Basic course in Biomedical Research- Cycle 3 Certification Programme does not come with a course fee. However, learners willing to receive the certification will have to pay the required fee, which would be duly notified to them.
Fee Details for the Basic course in Biomedical Research- Cycle 3 Certification Programme
Amount in Rupees
certificate providing authority
Who it is for
Since the Basic course in Biomedical Research- Cycle 3 Certification Programme is a programme designed for people with a medical background, this course will specifically benefit the following individuals-
- Ethics committee members
- Individuals interested in health research
- Project managers
- Clinical/public health/ laboratory researchers
- Allied health professionals
- Research associates
- Medical undergraduate students
Individuals working as teachers in medical college can enrol for a Basic course in Biomedical Research- Cycle 3 Certification Programme.
Basic course in Biomedical Research- Cycle 3 Certification Programme can be pursued by any applicant who is currently pursuing his/her post-graduation in MD or MS from a recognized university or college.
Certification Qualifying Details
Participants who succeed in clearing the final proctored exam will be awarded an e-verifiable course completion certificate from Swayam.
What you will learn
Learners are sure to obtain numerous insightful takeaways while pursuing a Basic course in Biomedical Research- Cycle 3 Certification Programme with lucid practical examples, comprehensive lectures, and relevant assignment work. By taking up this course, candidates will know more about the following-
- Formulating research questions, objectives and hypotheses while conceptualising a research study
- An overview of Qualitative research methods
- Planning a research study by designing data collection tools
- Ethical issues in conducting a study and requirement of publication ethics
The registrations for Basic course in Biomedical Research- Cycle 3 Certification Programme have already begun and candidates can register themselves before the enrollment ends by following some simple steps as mentioned below-
Step 1: Visit the course page- https://onlinecourses.nptel.ac.in/noc20_md03/preview and sign in/create their account via SWAYAM. Candidates can also sign in via Facebook, Google, or LinkedIn.
Step 2: Presently, the registration for the Basic course in Biomedical Research- Cycle 3 Certification Programme is inactive but candidates can always check the course link as soon as registration resumes for enrolling in the course.
Step 3: If they wish to take the certification, they will have to check the application form for the same. In case of the contrary, they can begin learning.
Conceptualizing a research study
Epidemiological considerations in designing a research study
- Experimental study designs
- Measures of disease frequency
- validity of epidemiological studies
- Analytical study designs
- Descriptive study designs
- Qualitative research methods: An overview
Bio-statistical considerations in designing a research study
- Sampling methods
- Measurement of study variables
- Calculating sample size and power
Planning a research study
- Selection of study population
- Designing data collection tools
- Overview of data analysis
- Study plan and project management
- Data management
- Principles of data collection
Ethical issues in conducting a research study
- Publication ethics
- Preparing a concept paper for research projects
- Writing a research protocol
- Conducting clinical trials
- Elements of a protocol for research studies
- Ethical framework for health research
Since the Basic course in Biomedical Research- Cycle 3 Certification Programme is free to enroll and learn, there is no requirement for scholarship.
How it helps
SWAYAM aids the underprivileged as well as privileged individuals to effectuate their dream of conducting effective research work in their workplaces or during their post-graduation. Learners post-completion will get skills equivalent to a certified professional with online certification from the MHRD.
Basic course in Biomedical Research- Cycle 3 Certification Programme comes with the approval of the Board of Governors in supersession of Medical Council of India, which makes the course professionally-rich in learning and adds weightage to candidates' resume or CV apart from polishing his practical experience.
As an initiative by the Government of India, the course comes with assignments which focus on both providing quality education as well as hands-on training. The MOOC will guide students through each step of conducting health research. Since anyone can access the course anytime, anywhere, even professionals can continue learning according to their work commitments.
This course comes to the rescue of people from different walks of life including clinical researchers who have to conduct experiments, research associates at medical institutes, and even scientists who are required to conduct high-quality research work in the current domain. Overall, the course fulfils all requirements of medical enthusiasts.
Candidates have to ensure that the quizzes, homework, assignments, and exams submitted by them are original (excluding the case of collaborative assignments).
Each of the 23 lectures is accompanied with online assignments comprising ten MCQs, the scores of which shall be released after the deadline for submission is over. Candidates must score at least 50% in each assignment.
Yes. After each successful transaction, a SWAYAM confirmation page displaying the order number, payment amount and name is shown. These details should be stored and would come handy if the candidate wished a refund.
Candidates need to click on the ‘Progress’ button on their course page where lecture-wise assignment scores are displayed. However, the scores shall be accessible only after the assignment’s deadline.
The faculty is as following-
- E. Rajalakshmi, M.D (S)., M.Sc (Epid).
- S. A. Rizwan, MD.,
- Ditipriya Bhar, MD.,
- Upasana Sharma, MPH.,
- Sirshendu Chaudhuri, MD., DPH.