my branch is mining engineering,how should I prepare for GATE?
Latest: [Know your admission chances in IIT/NIT & Other Engineering Colleges and PSUs as per your GATE Score / Marks]- Check Now
CMR is the Bible. I don't think I need to say more.
For objectives, A. K. Gorai.
1. Know the syllabus very well.
2. Read standard books only as there are many books available in the market so it is advisable to use the books which make all your concepts clear and which are easy to understand.
3. Understand the weightage of topics properly.
4. Proper Revision plan should be followed.
5. Mock Tests and Practice Tests should be done as this will help you to learn time management skills and this will also make you familiar with the exam pattern.
Hope this helps!!!
In order to start your preparation you should be aware of the syllabus and exam pattern. You should select best reference book for your study. You should identify which topics you should start first and which are important topics for the exam. So, you can focus on that topics. You should make your proper study plan. So, you can complete your preparation on time and you get proper time for revision.
You can also follow below strategy for your preparation
- Take a print out of the syllabus. See the weightage of different subjects.
- Whatever subjects that are common to your current semester and GATE, or some tough subjects you have already done in previous semesters, start doing them. Read standard books referred for them. Don’t learn. Build your concepts.
- Make your notes along side.
- Make small targets, daily targets, weekly targets. At this stage, 3-4 hours of study would be okay.
- Keep targets of 2 or 3 subjects in a semester. Conquer them.
- Practice previous year questions religiously.
- Don’t just do a subject and leave. Revise it after 7-15 days so that you don’t forget it.
- Mark the questions you feel are important, tough or conceptual.
- You should give mock test series to check your preparation level on regular basis.
- You should refer previous year papers to know the exam pattern and to understand the difficulty level of the exam
All the best!!
Here are some preparation tips you can prefer for GATE.
1. Know firstly GATE Syllabus & exam Pattern
GATE has two types of questions –
Multiple Choice questions (MCQs): These questions have options and candidates must choose carefully as there is negative marking for these questions
Numerical Answer Type (NAT) questions: These questions have to be calculated and carry no negative marking.
2. Know the Weightage of Topics in GATE
3. Make your Study Plan for GATE 2018
GATE 2018 Preparation plan?
Check the past year papers and exam analysis.
Divide the Topics broadly into Strong, Weak and to be read properly.
Keep daily, weekly and monthly targets. Try to adhere to them as far as possible.
Next schedule your preparation such that you revise the easy ones along with the tough ones and the “never read before” ones. This will ensure you have a clear view of what is to be studied and how you are going to do it.
While many advise to check the weightage and study accordingly, it is really not the correct way to go. Check the weightage by all means and understand the important topics but don’t neglect to study the not so important topics
Make Short Notes while you study as this is will be helpful during revision.
Write down Formulae that you find difficult to remember so that they are handy for revision.
Don’t wait for completing a portion of the syllabus. Start practising with test papers as soon as you done with a section or topic. Little steps of water make the mighty ocean.
Keep the solved problems separately indexed so that you can refresh and revise later when required.
Another tip for final year students is that you can match the topics that you will be studying in your graduation and club the studying part so you cover these to get a better hold on them
It is not just the previous year papers or online test series. Answer the questions at the back of your text book, check the nptel lectures to get a good grasp.
4. Strengthen your concepts and calculations
5. Strengthen your concepts and calculation
6. Work for efficient Time Management
You can also check the Syllabus of Mining Engineering with given below link.
You can also go through with the toppers interview with given below link.