If you consider colleges from Maharashtra only (excluding IIT and NIT), CoEP is the best in every aspect. However a college of CoEP's stature should aspire aggressively for National recognition. The pros:
1) Out of the world extracurricular: Often there are so many things to do, you will find your head spinning deciding what to do and what not.
2) Campus: Located in the heart of the city, CoEP boasts a boat club of its own. The campus is very well maintained, the hostels are better than average.
3) Placement: If you do fairly well, you have a very good chance of landing one of the best jobs available in your area of expertise/engineering.
1) Faculty: Even though some of the departments of CoEP have very good faculty members, others lack considerably. This not only affects the general attitude towards Engineering, it hampers the Institute's potential for research and future technical growth!
2) Placement: Even though the placement is good, it could very easily be improved by taking a few managerial clever decisions. In my 4 years here, I have seen that the faculty in charge of the placements is often too careless which costs people their whole career paths! But they didn't seem to care.
3) Focus on Research: I think CoEP in general lacks in it's focus on research. Most students just want a placement and most faculty member just want their salaries! All in all, CoEP is a good place to be. It has a good network of Alumnis and a lot of potential for improvement. I would love to see/contribute to CoEP growing in all possible ways!
Campus: The campus is not very big but a peaceful place with 17 acres of area with one cricket ground,open study space and one football court.
Building is not very spacious but historic and somehow,more old fashioned that you will come to know after seeing the design of gates and windows.
Mainly 3 entrance gates,one from Mechanical gate,one hostel gate(on the wadala road) and one Main gate(only place where you will read the name of college.
Well ,I assure you one thing, you will get lost,in first few days :)
All the CET toppers whether from Mumbai or from any other parts of Maharashtra(including some brainy students of J&K and North east) are here.
Whether the person is from COMS or from PRODUTION,everyone is damn busy in his studies.Talent isn't hard to find! And thus you've to work damn hard to make a mark.
With many engineering branches , you will find it very easy to socialize.
And,the Seniors are helpful. No ragging or any other shit like this.
Everyone is helpful.
Labs: Labs are pretty nice,especially of chemistry department.Grouping of 2 students are made and everyone is given a chance to have a hand on experience in practicle.There is continous Evaluation ,you need to be alert in lab and viva happens after every lab.
The college tran