which is best for career b.sc in biotechnology or b.sc in agriculture? which has good salary and placement?
Both B.Sc. in Biotechnology and B.Sc. in Agriculture are related specialisations. The candidates opting for B.Sc. in biotechnology find employment in pharmacy, agriculture and food processing industry. While candidates opting for a B.Sc. in agriculture find employment opportunities in agriculture related firms such as food processing and food manufacturing companies.
B.Sc. in biotechnology involves priniciples of biology and chemistry in study of life processes. It involves the study of functioning and structure of micro organisms. While B.Sc. in agriculture involves the study of types of soil, plants and the environment for growth of certain type of crop. B.Sc. in agriculture programme focuses on teaching the skills of increasing agriculture production and improving it.
It is solely depends on your interest. Both specialisations provide good career opportunities. Agriculture is limited to food industry while biotechnology provides numerous other career opportunities.
After completing the degree in B.sc. Biotechnology, one can get following job Roles:
1. Lab Technician- The average salary for the same per annum is from 2.5 lacs to 3 lacs.
2. Business Development Executive- The average salary for the same per annum is from 2.5 lacs to 4 lacs.
3. Sr. Research Associate- The average salary for the same is from 4 lacs to 5 lacs per annum.
4. Customer solutions Application Scientist- The average salary for the same is from 4 lacs to 5 lacs per annum.
5. Biotechnology Expert- The average salary for the same is from 2 lacs to 3 lacs per Annum.
6. Sales Coordinator- The average salary for the same is from 3 lacs to 4 lacs per annum.
7. Laboratory Instructor- The average salary for the same is from 3 lacs to 4 lacs per Annum.
Here are some job Roles one can get after completing their degree in B.sc. Agriculture with average salary:
1. Agricultural officer- The average salary for the same is approximately 9.60 lacs per annum
2. Assistant Plantation Manager- The average salary for the same is Approximately 5.25 lacs per annum.
3. Agricultural research scientist- The average salary for the same is approximately 6 lacs per annum.
4. Agricultural Development Officer - The average salary for the same is approximately 4.80 per annum.
5. Agriculture Technician- The average salary for the same is approximately 3.5 lacs per annum.
Hope this helps, all the best.
B.Sc biotechnology is a under graduate course which is of 3 years and it is basically focus on biology and technology . candidate who have completed their 10+2 from recognized board and with science subjects such as physics, chemistry and biology with a minimum aggregate of 50 percent marks in class 12th
some of the best colleges for B.Sc biotechnology are
1. integral university , lucknow
2. shoolini university, solan
3. amity university of biotechnology, uttar pradesh
4. DAV university , punjab
5. mahatma gandhi central university , MCGU
scope of biotechnology is very vast , it is infact known as the second largest industry after multimedia , graduates in same field can make their career in report and analysis of IT firms
some of the job roles are
1, lab technician
2. business development executive
3. Sr. research associate
4. customer solutions application scientist
5. biotechnology expert
some of the top companies are info edge india ltd, merck KGaA novartis, parexel , omega , healthcare , biocon , accenture technology solutions
hope this helps
B.Sc. (Agriculture) is definitely better than the latter in terms of more scope for jobs. If the intake strength in less than 50–100 over whole of India that will be ok, but you will find those many colleges with intake strength of around 100 students per year i.e. around 5000–10000 students. Imagine what will happen if production exceeds manifold as compared to job demand.
Agriculture Biotechnology specifically Plant Molecular Biology and Genetic Engineering is a highly demanding in terms of infrastructure and consumable resources as well as trained staff. It is difficult for most universities to fund their Post graduate programmes in the same subject with around 10 students; forget about teaching hundreds of them for B.Sc. Biotech. B.Sc. Biotech. students have a carrier in their field only if they do M.Sc./Ph.D. Further most of the students admitted for B.Sc. Agriculture. Biotech degrees take admission in Private colleges with no facilities or trained well paid staff. They just earn the degree without any learning..
As such no subject is good or bad . In each subject the 5% cream gets rewarded while laggards have no place. For example in Agriculture Biotechnology there are about around 5–8 post each year advertised by ASRB and hardly 1 seat per State Agricultural. University. This way not more than 30–40 Biotech. students can get job in public sector and around 100 in Private Seed Sector. Few may get jobs at low payment in private colleges affiliated to State Agriculture Universities. In such scenario rest 95% students from B.Sc. (Agriculture) have better opportunities as they can enter in diverse fields (around 10 disciplines) including Biotechnology for Post graduation. Each state Government has thousands of Agriculture. Dept. employees. Scope for self entrepreneurship and marketing carrier is better in Agriculture sector than in Agriculture Biotechnology.
Imagine if rather than B.Sc. Agriculture if universities start giving B.Sc. degrees for thousands of students in Agronomy, Genetics and Plant Breeding, Agricultural Chemistry and soil Science, Entomology, Plant Pathology, Horticulture, Extension, Agricultural Economics, Animal Husbandry etc. then what will happen to those thousands of students. Same thing is happening or going to happen in B.Sc. Biotech.
B.Sc. should be broad covering wide range of topics; while M.Sc./PhD should be highly specific.
If a B.Sc. Biotech. student has a strong will and guts to withstand adversities then Biotechnology can be a good subject After Post Graduation Biotech. students have better potential for entering in research field specially overseas .