NIT Rourkela is a national level institution funded by the Government of India which provides technical education in the country. It is a deemed university and it is managed by the Board of Governors of National Institute of Technology (Rourkela) Society. NIT Rourkela is recognised as a Premier Institution of Repute by the Government of India. It offers Undergraduate, Postgraduate and Ph.D Programmes to the students. NIT Rourkela courses include B.Tech, B.Arch, Dual Degree, M.Tech, MBA, M.Sc, M.A and Ph.D. Candidates wanting to know more about NIT Rourkela can read the article further and know the other details.
National Institute of Technology Rourkela is located at Sector 1, Rourkela in Odisha. Rourkela Railway Station which is 7 km away is nearest to the institution. Birsa Munda Airport in Ranchi is 166 km away from the NIT Rourkela. Rourkela Bus Stand is 6.4 km away from the institution. Students can hire a taxi to reach the campus.
Accreditation and Collaborations:
- National Institute of Technology Rourkela is accredited by NAAC.
- NIT Rourkela has been accredited by NBA.
NIT Rourkela has Collaborated with the following institutions:
- Edinburgh University, UK
- Ngee Ann Polytechnic, Singapore
- University of Polytechnica, Bucharest, Romania
- University of Leipzig Germany
- Board of Research in Nuclear Science
- Department of Atomic Energy and Metals and Mineral Technology
- Vedanta Alumina
Clubs, Committees and Societies:
- Technical Society: The Technical Society of National Institute of Technology Rourkela has eighteen Satellite Clubs which is involved in astrophysics, automobile, aerospace, robotics, fluid dynamics, software, infrastructure, mathematics, Business management and entrepreneurship.
- Games & Sports Society: This Society encourages students to participate in games and sports for their physical well being.
- Film and Music Society: This Society is engaged in inviting experts/exponents in varied forms of dance and music and organises annual music night, annual photography contest, conducts celebrity night.
- Literary and Cultural Society: This Society of NIT Rourkela is engaged in literary, drama and cultural activities.
- SPIC MACAY: The members are engaged in promoting Indian culture and traditions across the whole world.
- Monday Morning: This is the Students Media Body of National Institute of Technology Rourkela.
- AASRA: It is a Social Service group which is run by the students of NIT Rourkela that help the weaker sections of society in and around the city.
- Training and Placement Cell: This Cell helps and supports the placement process.
- Third Eye: This is the photography club of NIT Rourkela. The students gets an opportunity to enhance their photography skills.
- Chitraang: Chitraang is the Painting Club of the institution which provides a platform to the artists to showcase their art and creativity.
- Cinematics Club: The members of this club are engaged in videography and this club is an association of like-minded people to enjoy, share and advance their creative skills.
- Design Tab: This club has the designers of NIT Rourkela who exhibit their creativity through their talent of designing.
- Students Band: Euphony Heartbeats is the student's band of the institution which has music lovers who are passionate about musical instruments.
- Dance Groups: Synergy and Mavericks are the two dance groups of which represents NIT Rourkela at various dance competitions organised worldwide.
- Performing-Arts Group: Pantomime and RITVIC are the clubs having members who are engaged in street plays and productions for entertaining the students.
- Entrepreneurship Cell: E-Cell of National Institute of Technology Rourkela promotes entrepreneurship provides incubation and funding through a venture capitalist to the budding entrepreneurship.
- Civil Engineering Students' Technical Club: The members of CEST are engaged in sustaining and nurturing the enthusiasm of future Civil Engineers.
- SAE Collegiate Club: The members of this club are engaged in combining research, development, design, manufacture and utilization of vehicles.
- AASRA: This is a non-profit organization of NIT Rourkela which works for the upliftment of the underprivileged section of the society promoting social welfare. Rotaract and Leo clubs are working along with it.
Browse by Degree
Browse by Courses
This College is accredited by NAAC A (National Assessment and Accreditation Council) validity is 01 Dec 2021 and the score is 3.12 .
Exams and Cutoffs
NIT Rourkela Admissions
NIT Rourkela courses include B.Tech, B.Arch, Dual Degree, M.Tech, MBA, M.Sc, M.A and Ph.D related to various disciplines. NIT Rourkela B.Tech admission is based on JEE Main scores. According to the NIT Rourkela admission process for M.Tech programmes, admission is based on GATE scores and for NIT Rourkela MBA admission, scores of CAT/MAT/CMAT/XAT scores are accepted and then candidates have to qualify GD & PI. NIT Rourkela M.Sc admission is based on JAM scores. Now coming to the NIT Rourkela admission procedure to the Ph.D programmes, the Institute conducts a written test followed by an Interview. A detailed description of NIT Rourkela admission process, counselling process and document verification and other information are given here in details:
NIT Rourkela UG Admission
For B.Tech, B.Arch and Dual Degree:
- According to the NIT Rourkela admission process, candidates have to appear and qualify the Joint Entrance Examination (JEE Main) examination.
- For the joint admission process, aspirants will have to register for JOSAA where they will have to do the choice filling for the programmes and institute they want to opt for.
- Selection takes place on the basis of the merit list and the choice filling by the candidates.
- Final NIT Rourkela admission will be offered after the verification of documents and payment of fees at National Institute of Technology Rourkela.
NIT Rourkela PG Admission
M.Tech, MBA, M.Sc and MA:
- After appearing for the requisite exams, candidates have to submit an online application on the website of NITRKL.
- NIT Rourkela M.tech admissions will be based on GATE score.
- For MBA, the selection will be based on National Entrance Tests like CAT, MAT, CMAT, XAT followed by Group Discussion and Personal Interview.
- For M.Sc, admissions will be given through Centralized Counseling for M.Sc. Admissions to NITs and CFTIs (CCMN) for which candidates have to register online and fill in the application and admission will be based on valid JAM score.
- NIT Rourkela MA admission is based on the percentage of marks/CGPA in the university examinations already completed.
- Students will be given admittance to National Institute of Technology Rourkela after the verification of documents and payment of fees at NIT Rourkela.
NIT Rourkela PhD Admission
- PhD aspirants have to register and apply online on the website of National Institute of Technology Rourkela.
- Selection to the NIT Rourkela PhD admission will be made on the basis of the academic record of the candidate, candidate’s research interest, relevance of qualification, existing research programs and facilities of the departments, and performance of the candidate in tests and/or interviews.
- Admissions will be offered after the verification of documents and payment of fees at National Institute of Technology Rourkela.
Engineering and Architecture (B.E /B.Tech)
Engineering and Architecture (B.Arch)
Engineering and Architecture (M.E /M.Tech.)
National Institute of Technology Rourkela provides certain facilities to the students, faculty and staff members of the Institute. NIT Rourkela facilities include an auditorium, lecture halls, conference rooms, central library, halls of residence, hostel, guest houses, sports and fitness, swimming pool, canteen, shopping centre, health centre, post office, bank, places of worship etc. A detailed description of all the facilities provided to the students, faculty and staff of NIT Rourkela are mentioned below.
- Auditorium, Lecture Halls and Conference rooms: The campus has two air-conditioned auditorium named The Bhubaneswar Behera Auditorium and Pranakrushna.
- Parija Auditorium: NIT Rourkela also has Lecture Gallery Complex and twelve conference rooms.
- Central Library: NIT Rourkela has a library named after the founding Chairman of Board of Governors of REC Rourkela, Biju Patnaik Central Library that has a collection in both print and electronic resources.
- Halls of Residence: The campus has a student-occupied accommodation which is maintained the students of NIT Rourkela.
- Hostel: National Institute of Technology Rourkela has a total of 11 hostels in which there are 2 hostels for girls, 7 boys hostel, and 2 married hostel which is only for research scholars.
- Guest Houses: The institute has 2 guest houses that provide boarding and lodging facilities to the guests, visitors and newly appointed faculty and staff.
- Sports and Fitness: NIT Rourkela provides world-class sports facilities to its students. Dilip Tirkey Stadium is the football stadium of the institution and Sachin Tendulkar Cricket Ground is also built inside the campus.
- Swimming Pool: The institution has separate swimming pools for men and women.
- Canteen: The campus has a canteen which provides South Indian and North Indian dishes and meals at a subsidised rate
- Shopping Centre: The institution has a shopping centre for the students, staff and faculty.
- Health Centre: National Institute of Technology Rourkela has a health centre in order to cater to the medical needs of the students. There is Apollo Pharmacy store attached to the health centre.
- Post Office: NIT Rourkela has a post office that provides postal services.
- Bank: State Bank of India located inside the campus to provide facility to the staff, students and the faculty.
- Places of Worship: National Institute of Technology Rourkela has four temples the Hanuman temple, Shiva Temple, Sri Rama Temple and Mangala temple.
Amazing life at NIT Rourkela
Last Seen: 10 Sep' 20
Joined On: 06 May' 18
Education Interest: Engineering and Architecture
Education Level: In Graduation
- Batch of Jan. 1, 2023
- B.Tech Metallurgical and Materials Engineering
Amazing campus and faculty member and good placement
It' been great to have this college .
Last Seen: 28 Jul' 20
Joined On: 28 Jul' 20
Education Interest: Engineering and Architecture
Education Level: In Graduation
- Batch of Jan. 1, 2022
- B.Tech Computer Science and Engineering
GOOD OLD DAYS
my experience is good
Last Seen: 29 Jun' 20
Joined On: 29 Jun' 20
Education Interest: Computer Application and IT
Education Level: In Graduation
- Batch of Jan. 1, 2022
- B.Tech Electronics and Instrumentation Engineering
Questions related to NIT Rourkela
how about industrial design in nit rourkela? can i get good placement packages in industrial designing compared to other branches?
National Institute of Technology, Rourkela offers a four years undergraduate course in Industrial Designing.
As the placement opportunities, there are few companies which offers placements for Industrial Designing. However, if have good command over Ui/UX design, you will be in a better position to get the job in Thermal, Honda etc. (4-6) lpa.
It is still not treated as the core subject in India which results in less opportunities for placements. However, NIT Roukela is the best place to pursue this course. After completion, you can go for higher studies in abroad or perform internships to improve the chance of getting good jobs.
is industrial designing or chemical engineering at nit rourkela better or mechanical or electronics and communication engineering at bit mesra better?
It doesn't really matter which college you're from as long as your engineering fundamentals are clear. I will agree that being IITians or an NITian does give you that initial boost. NIT Rourkela is one of the best college. Placement in chemical engineering is really good out of 65 students approximately 55 students got placed. And as per for BIT Mesra is also same in case of CSE and IT. But I think that mechanical engineering in BIT Mesra don't have much placement . So you should go with NIT Rourkela.
P.S.- It depends on your interest that which branch you want to take. Because you have to give 4years in that branch so you should choose according to your interest because knowledge will help you get a placements.
how many marks should I get site in nit rourkela obc category from other state
The JEE cut off 2020 is decided in the basis of the difficulty level of the exam,previous year cutoff trends, number of seats available at NIT Rourkela and number of candidates who appeared for the exam.Hence it is always difficult to predict the exact possibilities. Chances may also vary with the branch your choosing. Based on previous year trend the cut-off rank for CSE branch for OCB category male under other state quota was 1181 , for ECE - 1788 , mechanical - 3591, electrical - 3459 , civil -5570.Hence,you may have to get minimum above 160 for a decent branch.
You may see the marks for the particular rank range using this article:
However you may visit the article below to know cut-offs for other branches and other details:
You may also use the college predictor tool to know your chances:
Hope it helps.
NIT SURATHKAL ECE vs NIT ROURKELA ECE which is best
NIT Surathkal ranks 3rd in placement by NASSCOM and also ranks 2nd by NIRF since last two years.It ranks 13th in the list of top engineering colleges in India.It provides a much needed skills that is hands on experience which helps the students of ECE to work on circuits and machines.NIT Surathkal offers many B.Tech course out of which ECE is one in which 92 seats are available.Placement of ECE branch in NIT surathkal is very good.Companies such as Lupn,Mahindra and mahindra,Samsung,TATA,Siemens,Microsoft,Mercedes benz,Toyota,Wipro etc visit the campus every year.
For ECE the minimum salary offered was Rs 3.3 lakhs per annum.The average salary was Rs 8.19 lakhs per annum and the highest salary was Rs 16 Lakhs per annum.All these figures suggest that NIT Suratkhal has good placement record.
whereas,ECE branch in NIT Rourkela is very good nowadays it is almost second choice after CSE.The placement record of the branch is very goodThe top companies which recruit students from ECE branch are qualcomm,tata,sap labs,microsoft ,oyo,scheidner etc.Almost all the students gets job and 70% students get internship.
So both the NIT's ECE branch is good with excellent teaching staff and placement.Now it depends on your interest in which city and area you are interested in.
What is the AVERAGE PACKAGE for ECE students studying in NIT ROURKELA 2020?
Nit rourkela has an amazing placement cell which provides paid internship and research opportunities to it's students. Almost 80 percent of the ece students received paid internship offers throughout their course.
For the placements, nit rourkela comes second to none especially for cse and ece branch students which usually take up most of the job opportunities provided.The highest package for an ece student go upto 35-40 LPA. The lowest being around 4-5 LPA. The average is around 9-11 LPA.
The chief recruiters being reliance,oracle, schneider,intel,Infosys etc
Have faith in what you do and you would be where you want to be.
National Institute of Technology, Rourkela is a premier engineering colleg....
NIT Rourkela: PepsiCo, Coca Cola, Honda, Maruti Suzuki, Tata Motors and B....
Careers360 shortlists over 5000 colleges across domains each year. Out of these colleges, only those colleges are rated/ranked which provide transparent data requested by Careers360. The cumulative scores of colleges are then calculated and they are divided into clusters as per their scores. Careers360 ranks private and government colleges separately as the support system of both types of Institutions is completely different.
Rating Methodology: Based on the individual scores secured by colleges in respective parameters the cumulative score of all the colleges ranked is calculated.
Ranking Methodology: The colleges are ranked as per the cumulative score that they have received. The college that has got the maximum cumulative score will be ranked first while the college that has got least cumulative score will be ranked last.
Public/Government Ownership: Institutions that are promoted by the central/state or provincial Government or Government aided agencies.
Private Ownership: Institutes that are promoted by private trusts/Socities/section 8 companies that are not for profits.
In India, a degree can only be delivered by an approved institution and awarded by an institution authorised to do so by an act of parliament or legislature. Approval of institutions can be in the form of affiliation, autonomy, constituent or even approved institution status accorded by a university.
Approval of this College:
Accreditation is a process by which the quality of all the programme is examined and certified normally by an external body of academics in a college. It validates and certifies the academic processes practised within an institute are robust and relevant.
Accreditation of this College:
- National Assessment and Accreditation Council
Validity : 01 Dec 2021 ; CGPA : 3.12